3274466905?profile=RESIZE_710xWe are favourites, shooting for three wins on the trot against a tigers outfit, whom would be looking to make amends for last week’s loss, as well as the 51-6 round 6 Bankwest demolition. That was their second worst loss to us, in their 20 year history, since the 66-12 annihilation in R11, 2001. Also, the Tigers tend to bounce back from losses and we tend to bounce back from wins with losses.  

A few points suggest this could be a danger game, if we're not switched on:

1. The three in a row challenge

It was 2 seasons ago, since we last won three in a row. Back in R26 of the 2017, beating Souths 22-16. We've been consistently inconsistent.

2. Eleven years: Since R23, 2008

It's been almost 11 years since we won three or more  in a row against the Tigers. Before Arthur’s tenure.  

3274465136?profile=RESIZE_710x

Back in R23, 2008, 40-12 a home game at Parramatta Stadium, where Nathan Hindmarsh, Feleti Mateo, Fuifui Moimoi, Jarryd Hayne all scored tries. That was the end of an 8 match winning streak against the Tigers. Oddly enough, Robbie Farrah,Benji Marshall and Chris Lawrence played in that match and are playing this Sunday, almost 11 years on.  

3. The Sutton factor: 28%, 5 years, 11 years

We have won only 28% under him since 2009 – over a decade. 

LLLLLLLLW. That's our recent history under Sutton - eight consecutive losses  - before our R6 demolition of the Tigers at Bankwest. Even he couldn't stop us, then.  

But it’s been 5 long years since we last won two games in a row under Sutton. - like we’re trying to do this week. Back in August 2014.  

A win in R17 would be only the third time in 11 years – ever- we have won two in a row under Sutton. 

From all 15 referees in our game we have the second worst record against Sutton. From all the refs that have refereed us, in our 72 year history, for over 10 games, Sutton is the third worst ever. Only Pearce Col (1947-68, 13.6%) and Kelvin Jeffers (1992-2000, 25%) are worse from an over 10 game sample size. Perenara looks like a walk in the park, with 44%. Jack Gibson used to complain about Greg Hartley. We had 63.6% under him.

3274447151?profile=RESIZE_710x

Sutton looks like the devil in comparison. Or at the very least there are striking similarities to him being our Lord Voldemort, are uncanny. Not just the striking similarities initheir body language and want to assume centre stage.

3276809673?profile=RESIZE_710x

Also, the Tigers have a much better record of 48.3% in 29 games under Lord Voldemort. And it’s their home game in theory. 

Will Sutton continue in the same vein as he has over the many years and spoil our party ? 

Meanwhile, it will be Adam Cassidy's first outing against us. Please be fair. And don't learn all your tricks off any older dogs that I shall not mention again.

4. LL WW L WW L WW

Under Arthur’s reign that's been the form guide v the Tigers since 2014.  It suggests a loss is next, if this bizarre pattern continues. Nonetheless Arthur has a good 60% winning ratio against the Tigers overall.

5. And now for some good news.

The Tigers have only won 1 game at Bankwest. And we're going marginally better than 2017. For now. 

At the end of R16 we’re on the same 18 points, 8 wins as we were in 2017, but now travelling a little better.  We’re currently 7th,  with the 4th best attack (333), and 3rd worst defence (322) and a +11 differential. At the same time R16 2017 we were in 8th, with he 9th best attack (282), 4th worst defence (318) and a  -36 points differential.  But 2017 we had a better away record. It suggests we’re a better attacking unit. I would also subjectively argue we have a better team than we did in 2017 with the additions of Fergo, Lane, Paulo, Sivo, and Dylan Brown.  However, in 2017, we went on to win  8 of the next 9 games to get us to 4th; and that’s quite a feat. It’s doubtful we will do that again, based on the evidence of 2019, hitherto. 

Looking at every year in the last 16 years, since 2004 (golden point started), 11-13 wins has been enough of an entry pass to the top 8. Except for last year. Incredibly, only 1 win separated no.1 from no.8, where every top 8 team had either 15 or 16 wins and points differiential separated the teams. 

So I would say we need another 5 wins to be safe as there is a 9 team log jam of 6-8 wins between 6th to 14th position. That's why this week is important. We need to continue the momentum.

Will we man up this week? Time will tell.  

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • I think Fergo is going to mine a rich vein of top class form for the rest of the season. He'll be on a massive high after his game in last night's SOO, especially his huge role in the winning try. He has great enthusiasm and I think there's a good chance it will infect the rest of the side. We're a team that thrives on confidence and I hope we can ride a big wave of it into the finals, top 4 is not out of the question either.

• Alan. Well said. Agreed. Fergo has the most winning pedigree from everyone in our top 17 this week and coaching staff as well. Let's hope he can show the way. When he plays well well, the team plays better.

• Agree with your thoughts TAD. And very well said, too, my friend.

I still fear this as a danger game as much due to Lord Voltemort, as us beating ourselves, with poor cultural habits, especially when we are under the pump or expected to win.

• Great blog mate. It made an interesting read. I think parramatta should win comfortably, if the refs stay out of it. 

• Thanks Rusty. Mate I hope you're right. I'll pull my hair out otherwise. It can be flabbergasting to be an Eels diehard.

• The thing that worries me the most about this game apart from having Sutton as ref is the eels have played only 1 game in 4 weeks, that has to have an impact on cohesion. In my opinion it is going to take a big effort to overcome the ref, the lack of recent games and a desperate Tigers outfit. Although i will be disapointed with a loss i think there will be enough obstacles to warrant a loss.

• Agreed HKF. And well said mate.

• Fergo will be on a high and will get the boys pumped up, I'm  predicting we will come out of the sheds and absolutely smash the Tigers again 34- 12.mom Gutherson  

• Only thing I’m looking for this week is for to complete and build pressure.Non of this crap against Canberra here you make a mistake oh ok now I’ll make one and hand the ball back he’ll no to that.

I have been saying this for awhile too. I d like to see more variation in our long and short kicking games Mahoney Moses and Brown.Mix the kicking up so teams can’t continue to hone in on Moses.Also If we are kicking on the 5th please don’t pass it 10 metres behind the play the ball.How bout kick off a momentum carry.

You can bet Marshall and Farrar will use all there experience in this area.

• This reply was deleted.
      • Thanks Pop. Yep I agree with your lawyer. Human nature is one of those variables, too.

And I agree with your implied thoughts on stats, that we've covered before, to a degree. Stats are vignettes. Fragments. Symptoms. But they don't really show the whole picture. 

You could summarise the whole picture for our beloved Eels in one word: culture.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Yes Bup makes a compeling case...."
26 seconds ago
BEM replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"Pretty sure the Sharks lost all of their best forwards before and during the match and finished with no reserves on the bench.
Not taking anything away from Wests as Api was outstanding but I don't see them running through us as easy as they did the…"
3 minutes ago
Archie replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"I'm with you Bup, Lomax is exactly the type of player we want in our outside backs. "
7 minutes ago
LB replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"The thing about this game that is curious and worrying to me is are Wests the real deal or was last week just a mood. I tipped Wests to beat Cronulla last week for a few reasons. 1) Was not convinced on Cronulla's past 2 performances where they were…"
24 minutes ago
More…