Pre-season Challenge

NRL reveal 2023 Pre-Season Challenge

18 clubs will compete for a $100,000 payday, with a new points system and unlimited interchanges confirmed.

From Zerotackle 

The Pre-Season Challenge will commence on Thursday, February 9 at Mt Smart Stadium with the Warriors hosting the Wests Tigers in Auckland, with all fixtures to come under a new points system.

Teams will receive 12 points for a win, six points for a draw and no points for a loss, however clubs can win bonus points by scoring five or more tries, making five or more line breaks and ten or more offloads in a match.

The team with the most points across the two rounds will be crowned champions, earning a $100,000 payday.

The Pre-Season Challenge will take place over two weeks, with squads limited to 28 players for the opening round of fixtures before being reduced to 26 players for the second week.

Teams will have unlimited interchanges at their disposal across both weeks.

St Helens will clash with St George Illawarra and Penrith across their trip down under.

“Having 18 teams and the added innovations, prize money and all matches televised live will create an exciting two weeks of football for fans,” NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said in a league statement.

“The 2023 Pre-Season Challenge offers a new experience for Clubs, players and most importantly fans, ahead of another highly anticipated Telstra Premiership in 2023.

"Over two action packed weekends, we have traditional rivalry matches, the inclusion of St Helens, the Dolphins featuring in Pre-Season for the first time, the Charity Shield and World Club Challenge to look forward to.”

2023 Pre-Season Challenge Fixture

Round 1

Thursday, February 9

Warriors vs Tigers - 6:00pm, Mt Smart Stadium

Friday, February 10

Knights vs Sharks - 5:55pm, Industree Froup Stadium
Rabbitohs vs Sea Eagles - 8:00pm, Industree Group Stadium

Saturday, February 11

Panthers vs Eels - 6:00pm, BlueBet Stadium
Dragons vs Saints - 8:05pm, WIN Stadium

Sunday, February 12

Storm vs Roosters - 1:50pm, GMHBA Stadium
Raiders vs Bulldogs - 3:55pm, Ack Weyman Oval
Cowboys vs Dolphins - 6:00pm, Barlow Park
Broncos vs Titans - 8:05pm, Sunshine Coast Stadium

Round 2

Friday, February 17

Knights vs Eels - 5:55pm, Industree Froup Stadium
Roosters vs Sea Eagles - 8:00pm, Industree Froup Stadium

Saturday, February 18

Dragons vs Rabbitohs - 3:30pm, Glen Willow Oval
Panthers vs Saints - 6:00pm, BlueBet Stadium
Broncos vs Cowboys - 8:10pm, Sunshine Coast Stadium

Sunday, February 19

Warriors vs Storm - 12:50pm, Orangetheory Stadium
Tigers vs Raiders - 2:55pm, Belmore Sports Ground
Bulldogs vs Sharks - 5:00pm, Belmore Sports Ground
Dolphins vs Titans - 7:05pm, Kay Stadium

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Penref get both their games at home and we don't get one home game.

No surprises there. 

• https://youtu.be/CSA_oQ2PSSE

• Because CommBank won't be available due to WSW fixtures 

• don't mind if we lose both, as long as we learn by it.

100k pfff

• Well the 17th would be when we play the Knights as WSWankers aint playing and the Knights already have one game at home

• Yes but you can bet we can't access CommBank until our regular season starts to keep the surface as I damaged as possible for WSW. They only gave four more home games  after our first. 

• They also have back to back home games on the 15th & 21st. You'll notice that the Roosters can't use Allianz, the Storm can't use AAMI Park & the Broncos & Dolphins can't use Suncorp either. 

• Not a bad idea, puts a bit more interest in pre season.

Should be compulsary for the winners to spend the 100k on hookers and blow, at a party that includes the press and journos.

That would add a bit more spice to pre season and get the fans pumped for the season.

• Lol was just thinking I hope they don't drug test at the after party

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"We sign another 1 or 2 Wingers for 2025 unless Sivo comes up and performs. I do fear it is a Brown, French and Mannah situation where they were dropped and never came back, besides Brown for the GF. Only one that got dropped that got back was Waqa…"
4 minutes ago
LB replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"Sivo at his best is the best Winger we have. One average season makes a good player dreadful to many, once he leaves i bet people will say how bad he was yet is close to being only the 4th player in club history to notch up 100 tries. His form has…"
5 minutes ago
Steel be with you replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"Unless we get injuries, I don't see Sivo playing first grade for Parramatta ever again. He was found out how many times by Canberra? 4-5 times?. With Lomax coming next year it places his spot in the team further in doubt. I know he is contracted…"
32 minutes ago
Hugo replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"That just shows what a low bar we have for wingers at the club."
37 minutes ago
More…