Parramatta's 2020 Boom Rookie

Who among the Eels junior ranks is going to make their mark on first grade this season? There is a lot of competition for spots this season, particularly amongst the forwards, so who is going to lay down a challenge this season and take on the seasoned first graders?

Oregon Kaufusi: The young prop has played 10 NRL games so far and has been a valued contributor in his limited minutes. He's been on the fringe of first grade regularly, often being named as 18th man and mostly turned out for Wenty during the 2019 season. 

Stefano Utoikamanu: The young powerhouse only has one season remaining at the Blue and Gold after signing for the Tigers. But an upgrade to the Top 30 means he is very much in the plans of Brad Arthur this year, who may look to inject some youth if needed. He and Kaufusi may be called upon during the Origin period should players such as RCG and Junior Paulo end up in the Blues squad. Paulo is eligible for NSW and featured in an Emerging Blues camp in 2017 while RCG represented his state on one occasion.

Ethan Parry: He took his opportunity when it presented itself in 2019, now Ethan Parry is looking to try and force is way into a star studded Eels backline. Although he won't be a first choice representative duties and/or injuries could open the door for the young outside back. At 191cm and 97kg he'd hardly be a downgrade size-wise if called upon.

Dylan Brown: It feels like we've been talking about him for two years now, but Brown has only notched 15 first grade games due to a back injury during 2019. He turns 20 at the start of the season and has been tipped for higher honours by none other than Andrew Johns. Speaking of the eighth immortal, Brown has been working with the legend who is working as a halves coach for the Eels this season. One would think that if Brown were to get a full season under his belt and hit his straps, the Eels will go deep into September.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Hi BEM, I am not necessarily disagreeing with you.  Just asking as I have only seen Kaufusi in one NRL game.  He did OK, but I don't see one game as a game changer.  I hope you are correct.  I agree Alvaro can be a plod on occasions.  He can also been very solid.  Just sadly inconsistent IMO.

• Stefano and Parry are not in my opinion up to being on this list.  I actually hope to be proven wrong and will be very impressed by either if they take that extra step. I see people calling out Nuikore, perhaps I have some computer issues, but he does not appear on your list. I see him as pretty much established now.  Kaufusi for mine, but I would like to see Andrew Davey and Haze Dunster given crack if the opportunity arises.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Excuse my ignorance but where does the great name come from? 

• Hes from Monto.

• Minto ?

• Do we remember the last Minto product? 

• I have to agree. I am yet to see the hype in Stefano Utoikamanu.  Quite embarrassing comparing his to PAAS or FIFITA  - not even in same ballpark.  He has not impressed me one bit to be honest. No wrecking ball or high work rate or hit and spin .. Parry hasnt improved nd is now well behind DUNSTER.  Kaufusi is at this stage in his career where he needs to lift and develop his own style . He is a big lad but he has to use his size to create opportunities.  

Love to be proven wrong though. 

• I totally agree with all you said mate.!!!

• Out of the 4 mentioned Dylan Brown is the only 1 worth being in the top 30 and in our side. Only have seen Stefano in the trail match and does not look 1st grade material and Parry is very average at best and I rate Takka a super star compared to Parry. As for Kaufusi I think he has not got into the side as with the few 1st grade games he has been average at best and done nothing to even push Alvaro out who is just an average workhorse 1st grade prop. with all the hype on our juniors they have amounted to very little and they have except Dylan Brown been over rated on here.

• Based on the Nines and the Souths trial, I really like the work that Haze Dunster is doing this year.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Slippery. replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Could Lomax backflip on his decision?

I might be wrong, but I think the last big name signing that backflipped was Josh Papalii about 10 years ago.  If this is correct,  the Eels could be due for another one. "
12 seconds ago
Muttman replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Yep"
53 seconds ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Well you asked what and why the rest of the NRL fans hate him. Maybe go onto the comments sections on social media and tell them they're all wrong and Muttman is right.  You asked .  Maybe everyone else is just wrong .....  there's a gazillion…"
1 minute ago
Muttman replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"I mean would you be surprised if we won? "
1 minute ago
More…