One down, one to go — Parramatta’s busy recruitment drive continues with the Eels looking to land rugby league enigma Bryce Cartwright. But another signature is proving harder to secure.

Parramatta has started talks with off-contract NRL star Bryce Cartwright.

But the club’s pursuit of former Eels flyer Bevan French has hit a major hurdle with Wigan offering the 24-year-old the biggest contract of his career to stay in the UK.

While no deal has been struck, discussions are progressing with Eels coach Brad Arthur known to be a huge fan of Cartwright’s ability.

Cartwright, 25, split with Gold Coast last month and continues to search for a new club after returning to Sydney.

It is understood Parramatta would offer Cartwright a one-year contract.

“He definitely hasn’t signed yet – there are still things to work through,” said Cartwright’s manager, Allan Gainey.

“Discussions are going on but nothing has yet been decided on.

“It may happen but there hasn’t been a contract signed or an agreement of terms at this stage.”

Cartwright was earning around $450,000 a season at the Titans but would be forced to take a hefty pay cut by joining Parramatta.

The Sydney Roosters have also been mooted as a club that may have an interest in Cartwright.

Asked by News Corp last month why an NRL club should punt on him, Cartwright said: “Because of the shit I have dished up over the last three years There’s no way I want to do that again.

“I want to play NRL again – that hasn’t changed. I feel like I’ve still got so much more to offer. I won’t stop trying. It will come down to me proving to people that I can do it and I will do it.

“Ninety-nine per cent of people think I’m done. That’s another driving factor. It makes me want it even more. I want to prove to them that I will work my arse off.”

The Eels have been busy in the transfer market, already signing three players for next season.

French had been identified by the Eels as another target signing for 2021, with the electric outside back providing coach Brad Arthur a number of options in his backline.

But French is in such sizzling form in the English Super League with Wigan, club management have offered the Tingha-born talent a contract offer in excess of $350,000 a season.

French is the Super League competition‘s leading try scorer with 13-tries in 15-games this season and such is his appeal with fans, Wigan want him to become the face of the club’s marketing campaign.

Wigan‘s offer is for the 2021 and 2022 seasons.

Parramatta were offering — and still are — the lure of a return to the NRL and the prospect of returning to his family could entice French back to the club where he played 47-games between 2016 and 2019.

The Eels will be unable to match Wigan‘s offer, but remain hopeful French will consider returning to the blue and gold.

Wigan coach Adrian Lam has made no secret of his desire to keep French at the club.

“He‘s been unbelievable for us and he’s only going to get better if we can keep him here next year,” Lam told reporters earlier this month.

“We‘re doing our best to keep him.

“It‘s well known that he’s getting a few bites from the NRL but it’s not a done deal and be reassured we’ve left no stone unturned. I talk to Bevan every day and that will continue.
“We‘re working hard as a club to make sure he gets what he wants but at the end of the day it’s Bevan who has to make that decision.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• But that's the point David when Ma'u was signed he was a unknown quantity no one knew what we are getting low risk signing.

Cartwright is much the same he has to turn his game around to start,earn a way into that game day roster.If he doesn't he's watching it's on him.

Parra get this for 110k max I'd take that chance for potential like his.

• Girth, we are not aligned to Wenty anymore. We have our own reggies team now

• That's true! Been a while i've forgotten. Thanks pete!

• Is Wenty still a feeder club for the Eels?

• Not that I am aware Col

• LOL - do we have a Feeder club?

Thought I heard Wenty was now associated with Warriors - correct or am I thinking about another club?

• No, our NSW Cup team is in house.

• My understanding is that Parra would have had a team of the same name running around in the NSW Cup this year. Wenty is no longer our 2nd tier team.

• No worries

• He has to be fit, of a strong mind and want to play. I am just not sure and again question this; I would have preferred a young guy on the up who bleeds for the club.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Marty replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We'll just been watching Matty John's Late, Hindy n Fletch interviewing Dragons - Lawrie, Lomax n Coach son, gotta say Lawrie n Lomax complete fuckwits. Coach son was pretty cool but other two prime nobs
Dragons can keep Lomax cause we have a No…"
19 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Which is why I asked what you consider expensive? Would you say 500k? 600k?
If these players at up to 600k are classy & not expensive, it's a pretty small window reliant on what's available?
Which brings us back to the development angle, and that…"
27 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Yep winger or fullback"
36 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"For sure, as mentioned, 800k & there's no way the Eels will look at him. 600-650k, is possibly a different story. As you mentioned with salary cap, those centres might've been 600k but that was decent coin also.
100% agree though that it all depends…"
48 minutes ago
More…