Old Josh Hodgson could be the key

Losing Reed to Canterbury was a massive blow. However, I am not impressed with his development in 2022. He may have peaked. He has done some good things but also created some terrible situations by not being in sync with our two halfs who have killed it generally in 2022.  If josh can rehab and come on board in decent shape, he is going to give us something we have lacked for a long long time. A cool head in a crisis and the ability to control the pace of the ruck similar to what Cameron SMITH would do.  Smithy hardly ran the ball but he controlled the tempo of the game and when Storm needed to lift he ensued the ball was going to the key men EVERY time.  HODGO from 2019 -2020 was a great player in the way he got his big men to come onto the ball and he used his experience to dictate the ruck by taking a few steps to engage markers and bring his forwards back into the corridor. THis opens the defensive line for the playmarkers to stretch the edges. 

• HODGO has superior kicking game to Reed . 
  • HODGO has game management and experience superior to REED
  • HODGO can manipulate and engage the REFS and increase the infringements in the ruck similar to API from Penrith who idles to the ruck and sums up how square the markers are before he passes. 

BIG IF is he doesnt recover from the injuries and I see him sliding into assistant coach roles. He doesnt gel with MITCH and we lose the scope that comes with two running halves. 

We need to get a classy edge runner/centre and a tough big minute Hombre.  They are all out there waiting to be plucked.  All my own thoughts but the sky is not falling just yet. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

•   If Foran can do it       just maybe 

But I don't like it

• Pretty accurate I'd say PT. Let's hope Hodgo remains fit and we get that centre and second rower required.

• Yep , been saying it for ages.

Reed is a good player . He's not irreplaceable by any means. If paying what Reed could get on the open market cost us Moses or Brown down the track it would be a disaster. 

Reed's attack is very limited . You want to be careful paying any player based on 2021 form because it was a season of touch football with more space around the ruck than ever before. His service has periods where it's really really good and others where he's off the boil . BUT that's what he does . Stand and pass .. occasionally attack short sides.. and competes all day. Very handy player but those who have him in the elite conversation .. he's way behind Grant , Cook , Api .. he's in the middle tier. Defensively he's below average but will tackle all day . His tackles usually result in quick play the balls and i've lost count of how many times he's been 3rd or 4th in a tackle and not prevented an offload. Could count on 1 hand how many times in his career he's worked markers over with subtlety or put pressure on around the ruck . He competes though, and shows up in places through effort. 

Hodgson sitting out this season is an absolute blessing for us. I think he will be very handy for 2 seasons and hopefully his refreshed body is up to it . 

• 1000% snottie.  Agree with it all. 

• If they can keep him injury free he will be an asset 

• Other than his age and injuries, his biggest problem is when he tries to take over and call the shots instead of letting his halves call the shots.

It was fair enough at Canberra with sub par halves and even then it ended badly. He will kill our attack when he starts taking control away from Moses and DB.

He is not a skilful player in his 20's. He is a faded has been in his mid 30's.

• As long as he calms us down, and gives good service to our dominate halves, takes an oppurtunity if he sees it, and runs when markers are down. He'll be fine. 30 odd years old or not. Experience is gold around dummy half.

• That's what I am saying though BE.

In his time at Canberra he would often take control away from the dominant halves and kill the momentum. 

33 years old with his injury record doesn't inspire a lot of confidence and if he doesn't even make it through the pre-season, which is a definite possibility we are screwed. 

• Reed hasn't peaked his 23. Parra fuckdd up and will regret it 

• Please stop trying to make us feel better we all know we are hurting losing Reed and signing some washed up 34 year old. Matto niukore papali'i stone kaufusi Mahoney all gone. What are we gna look like next year? I hope the board is happy, id understand if there moving on players for someone big to come in but I can't see who, parramatta are just tight asses They come out with news today that they re signed Mitch rein. Rubbish recruitment and retention team we've got at parramatta. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Muttman replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"He's a goer for sure. Runs really hard and enjoys the contact. He's an upgrade on Sivo for sure "
21 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Tex Hoy
"Boy, could we do with a winger and a back up fullback? What do you reckon Bradley, could he be a back up? Is he better than say Lume lumie. some of those other first graders currently playing in reggies?
Actually I know fcuk all about him. just a…"
22 minutes ago
Axel posted a discussion
Why Friday's clash with the Dolphins might be a tipping point for Arthur and the EelsMike Meehall WoodEditorROAR Friday night’s clash between Parramatta and the Dolphins is likely to be a hot one – and not just because the game is being held in the…
30 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Tex Hoy
"Listen clearly Bradley.....I know that's what your mother used to say, and of course I understand that mum was very strict with you....
But I did not mention lateral movement, I actuallly said he is a good mover that shows promise, poor defensively…"
35 minutes ago
More…