NRL's 18th team

So with talk of PNG placing a bid to be the NRL's 18th team in 2027, makes me wonder what better options there could be? Some say the West Coast Pirates, Central Coast Bears, Southern Orcas. I say why not go a bit more out there.

Perhaps the Western Sydney Unicorns, captain coach Brad Arthur with sons Jakob and Matt as co-vice captains. Or the Silverwater rats, team based out of Silverwater jail with inmates, there marquee signing could be Hayne if unsuccessful in retrial.

Any others you think should be added to the NRL, could add rivalries for us perhaps?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I've said it before, but if I was the CEO this would be my expansion plan.

18) Perth in 2027, (preferably as the Western Reds, it has the potential to be a terrific brand). It's a no brainer. A city of 2.1 million people and growing, largest median household income in the country by a distance, a ready made rectangular stadium with state government commitment for extensive redevelopment should the NRL award Perth a license, a niche fan base already in existence from both rugby codes due in large part to the heavy South African ex pat community, a TV friendly timezone. The only downside would be that it would be a bit of a club on an island situation, but even then if managed well could be turned into a strength.

19) Adelaide in 2032, again I'd like to see the resurrection of the Adelaide Rams, it also has the potential to be a great brand. Whilst not as convincing an option as Perth, it's still a sports mad city of 1.4 million people. Not nearly as well a developed market as Perth, but with the right forward planning and marketing should be able to carve out a healthy fan base in time. The central time zone again would appeal to broadcasters. A lack of an appropriate rectangular stadium is a problem, but again, nothing that can't be overcome with planning and discussion with state government.

20) Wellington in 2034. I'm not a fan of the league going into odd numbers, but trying to add two teams at a time right now might be a push, so I'll give the Windy City a couple of years extra. I think there is enormous potential for growth of the game in NZ. NZ Rugby has an overflow of kids they can't keep, it would not be inconceivable to think that RL could make significant inroads into the NZ market over the next 12 years. Sky Stadium would be acceptable in the short to medium term, but as Commbank Stadium, Suncorp Stadium, QCB Stadium & AAMI Park have shown, Rugby League is best presented in rectangular stadiums built for purpose. Oh, and one other thing, no NRL team should be called the Orcas. That's just a horrible name. Hell no. 

21) Melbourne in 2039. Forty years after the founding of the Storm would be the perfect time to introduce little brother. If Sydney can support two AFL clubs, Melbourne can certainly support two NRL clubs. World class rectangular stadium, tick, world class high performance complex, tick, a growing Rugby League market, tick, a ready made rivalry, tick, a game in Melbourne every week, tick. Tick, tick, tick. It's almost as much a no brainer in 2039 as Perth is in 2027.

22) Christchurch in 2041. I would hope by this stage that the NZRL has finally got its act together and has in place a national development league in the same mould as the NSW & Q Cups, giving the NRL 3 youth development leagues. If they have, then a 3rd NZ NRL club should be just about a walkover. 

23) Central Coast in 2046. I would get Greg Florimo on the phone now and tell him he's got 24 years to get the Bears ready for reentry !!!! But in all seriousness by then, the CC should have a population of about 400k.

24) Auckland in 2048. For much the same reasons as both a 2nd Melbourne team.

That would be my plan, however A LOT of groundwork needs to be done before it got to that, especially in the area of youth development. Eventually I'd like to see the NSW Cup, Q Cup, NZ Cup & a combined southern states league, (let's call it the Southern Cross Cup for arguments sake) be the prime drivers of youth development, with the best prospects in all 4 leagues, plus ESL, funnelled into a rookie draft, to ensure the proper distribution of talent.

Maybe I'm just a dreamer ....

• You dont like Orcas Brett? That's a shame as i really like it.

Nice summary Brett, would there be enough talent to warrant 24 teams? would 24 be too much? that would mean 12 games so i would love to hear how you would sort out the weekly tv schedule for 12 matches.

• There's not even enough talent for the existing competition! And there won't be unless rugby league invests more in junior development. I live in a regional area and the AFL (and to a lesser extent union and football) are investing heavily in school-based programs. They're muscling in on what was once rugby league heartland without so much as a whimper from NSWRL.

• Anguillidae and this is my point as well; the nrl have got to invest in league and i am talking about boys playing the game; its all great to invest in girls etc. with the PC crowd but the game needs to better invest at a junior level.

• Well bear in mind this is by 2050, not tomorrow, and it always annoys me when people say there's not enough talent. There is, there's not enough development. 

• It annoys me when people don't read before commenting. My post was purely focused on the need for increased numbers and investment in junior rugby league. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poppa replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Come on LB that's shit talk, you can do better than that....don't get caught up with the haters!"
2 minutes ago
Poppa replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"geez, there is no one left to blame, lets get the Hillsongers LOL
Couple of wars going on in Europe and the Middle East get rid of them as well!
The "haters" are desperate for a kill!"
5 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Well that comes with a debutant in the halves with a non organising other half."
25 minutes ago
Axel replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Disjointed and many dropped balls . Let's see what they serve up tomorrow "
39 minutes ago
More…