Despite the chatter in the background, Bailey Simmonson tried to remain focused on the Raiders.

The Eels’ newest recruit had been linked with a move to Parramatta for weeks, and while discussions seemed to cool, they were ignited again when the Raiders stepped up their pursuit of ex-Raider Nick Cotric.

In truth, Simmonson had wanted to become an Eel from the moment he chatted with Parramatta coach Brad Arthur in November.

"The move has been on the cards for a little while,” Simmonson said. “A few weeks now it’s been spoken about between the clubs but it got more serious recently.

“I’d started pre-season with the Raiders and trained for about three weeks. It wasn’t distracting. In the back of my head I knew that there was potential to move."

“Personally I used that time to get my fitness, running and gym work and get my body right regardless of if I stayed at the Raiders or the move eventuated. I knew I had to be prepared to play.”

A desire to be with his Sydney-based partner sparked the move after three successful seasons at the Raiders, which included the 2019 grand final loss to the Roosters.

Simmonson, 23, inked a three year deal and has been earmarked to fill one of the vacant wing spots left open by Blake Ferguson’s departure to rugby and Maika Sivo’s knee injury.

“Once the ball got rolling and I was happy with the move and the clubs were happy, it happened quickly,” Simmonson said. “I was glad I could get here before Christmas.

“Having a few chats with Brad I thought it would be a good fit and I was keen on it. There was no guarantee of a spot but he spoke about the different things he saw in my game and what I can improve to become the best player I can be.

“Parramatta play an attacking brand of footy and move the ball well. It was a system I thought I could flourish in.”

He linked up with his Eels teammates last week and jumped straight into ball work.

While Simmonson is looking forward to next season he is already excited about reuniting with ex-Raider Josh Hodgson.

Hodgson will join the Eels in 2023 and Simmonson knows exactly what the English international will bring to the side.

“I was really excited when I heard Hodgo (Hodgson) would be coming to Sydney,” Simmonson said. “Everyone knows what he can do on the field but no one sees the leadership and mentoring he provides to the younger boys. I know when I joined the Raiders as a younger bloke, he took me under his wing and made me feel comfortable.

“He will be massive for the club in terms of leadership and guidance for the younger boys.”

Another ex-Raider Curtis Scott is still awaiting clearance from the NRL to join the Eels ahead of next season.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Simsonsson is a good pick up. I liked what he did for the Raiders. Both big and fast. He'll do well for us.

If Scott cleans up his act, he has all the potential to be an origin player. That's a massive IF though.

• He will push gutho for the fullback spot

• The only way he will play fullback is if gutho is out injured. 

• Well it certainly won't be due to Gutho being on rep duties. 

• Yeah..Tedesco, Turbo and Latrell all have to be out. With covid... who knows.

• Hahaha 

• Lol even Dylan Edwards is ahead of Prince Gutho

• Try having a rest Mick....He was after all only one season ago, the defaecto Dally M winner, not bad for a prince.

Some of us have very short memories!

9924601086?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Give what a rest Pops? Btw your better than that? Or maybe not.. lol

• He would be a chance of being 14 Wiz......an ideal choice in my opinion, think Fitler see's that as well....I know Mick does, now he has seen the light and gotten over that attack of light headedness that causes his head to move around and look up in the sky all the time!!!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cʜɪᴇғ - replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"I like them, doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they say clown boy
 "
50 seconds ago
Poppa replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Love....LB it is a many splendered thing.
Let me tell you it doesn't always work out like in the fairy tales.....doesn't matter how they try their guts out., if Saab or Turbo get into the clear, throw a couple of others into boot and doesn't matter…"
5 minutes ago
Poppa replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"I wouldn't be sacking them if I thought they weren't accountable you dumbass!
The point I was making and obviously it was over your head, is what interference took place outside of the Coach and Hof.
An example was that lets assume BA & MON wanted…"
15 minutes ago
Graham polkinghorne replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Not really, as proven on our day we are a good team, but I think that team is quickly sliding backwards."
37 minutes ago
More…