WESTS TIGERS SET TO LAUNCH MASSIVE BID FOR MITCH MOSES

BY CHARLES GOODSIR

The Wests Tigers have all but secured English international John Bateman for the 2023 season but SEN’s Michelle Bishop has revealed the deal has yet to be confirmed as the club believes it can also acquire Parramatta Eels halfback Mitchell Moses.

Moses began his career at the Tigers in 2014 and after 67 matches with the club and subsequently moved to Parramatta midway through 2017 season. The 28-year-old is off contract at the end of the 2023 season and is available to be signed for the 2024 season.

Bishop said that the Tigers are holding out on signing Bateman until they know more details around the salary cap and evaluate whether making a bid on Moses is possible.

“The Wests Tigers have actually agreed to pay Bateman’s transfer fee from the UK. That’s all happening,” Bishop said on SEN 1170 Breakfast.

“The Mitchell Moses situation could be the thing that’s holding it up.

“The Tigers are going all guns blazing and they actually want Moses for 2023.

“They need to leave some cash in the cap for that to become a reality.

“Both Bateman and Moses share the same player manager, so they clearly hold the trump card in this one.

“Nervous times for Eels fans.”

Bishop said that it was “wishful thinking” on the Tigers part but commended the club for aggressively pursuing star players.

The Daily Telegraph’s David Riccio said that Moses will see out the final year of his contract at the Eels but is long odds to remain at the club beyond the 2023 season.

“I received a call (from a source) that suggested there is no way in the world that Mitchell Moses will be there (at the Eels) in 2024,” Riccio said onSEN 1170 Breakfast.

“If I’m a betting man, I don’t believe that Mitchell Moses will be there in 2024.

“How the Eels try to juggle Dylan Brown, Mitchell Moses, Clint Gutherson, Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Junior Paulo, Josh Hodgson and Ryan Matterson into a salary cap is going to be a struggle.

“Parramatta have put a significant four-year package together for Mitch but I don’t think it’s going to be in the vicinity of what rival clubs like the Bulldogs and Tigers will be able to put together.

“I can tell you that Parramatta officials are nervous.

“They are nervous about where this is going to go.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As far as female journalists go in 2022 , Rebecca Wilson is the pinnacle , if only more were just like her . 

• Agreed and Bishop needs to get back in the kitchen! 

• https://youtu.be/bZEyt-rR3k0

At about the 8.40 mark listening to LBJ.I hope MM takes this thought on the situation he is in vs what he may go to over Parra.

• Coryn,  Having played basketball in my youth I can see how great this game is to develop "organic" connectivity with developing combos, having instincts with great timing with offloads to create space, and 2nd phase play. I have always maintained that for players to develop these skills playing basketball can really complement players' ability with creative offloads. maybe touch football can do this as well. good teamwork will make average footballers look great

• 100% the more sports you play alot of skill set is applicable to wherever you end up.

Me before I played footy it was basketball volleyball softball and athletics.

I played Union/League as a youngster but branched out when I hit HS.I found the challenge of mastering new sports and skill sets more fun and when I went back to the first mentioned looked at it totally differently the only thing I missed getting upto speed on was the physicality but that was an easy fix.I found boxing as an off season prep for footy.As you mention Touch and flag were other off season go too's.

• I always picked you as a softball player Coryn, while the other lads were playing baseball, you were kickin it with the chicks in softball.

• Good one. Funny snakes I met my first girlfriend at softball! 1987 was the year...

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Depends how expensive you mean, Al?
Lomax isn't worth 800k & the Eels won't pay that, he knows it's a pay cut to play elsewhere at centre.
All of the past 10 premiership teams had more $ in their centres than we currently do, and some have big…"
7 minutes ago
fake midget pseudoachondroplasia replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"If NOS leaves Melb and they grab Lomax, what about Meaney to Eels. 
I would prefer a player like Wishart but don't see him leaving Melbourne as they love him there.  Genuine utility playing half, hooker centre, wing, and 14 at NRL level.   Didn't…"
26 minutes ago
Bup replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"He's not happy there at the moment, Melbourne don't keep blokes that aren't buying in."
34 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"When was the last time a premiership was won with an expensive centre?
It's not the formula to success "
52 minutes ago
More…