New Signings: Bryce Cartwright

I have previously discussed Cartwright’s recruitment, however this is a piece more on how the Eels will look to use him.

Cartwright’s spell at the Titans promised so much yet delivered so little. He left the Panthers on the fringe of Origin selection and finished up at the Titans as a virtual reserve grader.

Parramatta’s 2020 side lacked a genuine gamebreaker off the bench. When they needed something different, something a side like Melbourne couldn’t plan for, they didn’t have it.

Cartwright offers an air of unpredictability and creativity few others in the side possess.

While Ryan Matterson is a genuine edge threat with his size, strength and offloading ability, he doesn’t quite produce Cartwright’s miracle offloads.

Coming to the Eels on a minimum wage deal means Cartwright will be fighting for a bench spot. It’s unlikely he’ll unseat either of Shaun Lane or Matterson in the starting 13.

According to training reports, Cartwright has impressed in his defensive application and willingness to work hard. Positive news so far.

He was also training with Mark Carroll during the off-season once he’d returned to Sydney and that indicates a willingness to push himself.

Cartwright has the potential to be that x-factor and with the likes of Brad Takairangi and Andrew Davey departing the club, he has an opportunity to take advantage of what is currently an open spot on the bench.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This is where I see Papalii slotting in at lock.,most probably when Brown comes off.Marata runs hard but isn't really the ballplaying link man we need to replace Brown.Marata to prop,Papalii ,Lane and Lussick or Roache on the bench.Cartright to second row. 

• The key with Cartwright is injuries.  He has the talent, but needs luck.  I'm not overly excited he is with the club, hopefully he isn't taking up too much cap space 

• I'd be working Cartwright into that 14 role off the bench covering a multitude of needs.

2nd row Lock Dummy half centre part time halve.

Hes my Jack of all trades master of non type player.

• This reply was deleted.
  • Poor bloke cant take a trick.   Reported in todays Telegraph that he has now split from his wife and two kids.   As everyone knows - these scenerios never end well.  No one wins in this battle particularly with small kids involved.  Selfishly,  I hope it doesnt affect his football for this season but I wont count on it.  Hope he gets to see his kids and that the split was amicable.   Good luck 

• Where have you been paul?- it was reported on 1EE about November / December they had split pu.

Media finally catches up to the real world.

• Hi Col,

Living the dream with my wife.   All I have got to look forward to is deafness.     Lucky bastard Carty

• Hmm Cartwright..... that is a huge TBA (to be advised) we all know he has some talent, it's the mental toughness that goes with week in week out NRL that he seems to suffer a lack of, has never lived up to his hype but who's fault is thatt, who hyped him, Us, Them, Him, Her, I just think Hipgrave and Papalii are better choices,

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Because they'll give an opinion that's not always favourable . There's plenty of players in the NRL at other clubs that will get wraps on here . So if you're point is that opposition fans will always give a negitive opinion because they play for…"
3 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"It would put him as the greatest coach ever if he got a premiership. It would give him one last big challenge, but yeah we will see. Parra probably aren't even interested. 
French just signed 3 or 4 year I think overseas, he won't be back. He is…"
6 minutes ago
Frank The Tank replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"I reckon this current side might just beat Manly next week such is the Jekyll and Hyde nature of this squad.
BA will be the headliner this week so expect a lift from the players to delay his ass pounding."
12 minutes ago
Frank The Tank replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Luckily for us our defense is the 2nd worst in the comp, equal with the Titans and only better than the Rabbits.
Oh how the mighty have fallen."
14 minutes ago
More…