New Signings: Bryce Cartwright

I have previously discussed Cartwright’s recruitment, however this is a piece more on how the Eels will look to use him.

Cartwright’s spell at the Titans promised so much yet delivered so little. He left the Panthers on the fringe of Origin selection and finished up at the Titans as a virtual reserve grader.

Parramatta’s 2020 side lacked a genuine gamebreaker off the bench. When they needed something different, something a side like Melbourne couldn’t plan for, they didn’t have it.

Cartwright offers an air of unpredictability and creativity few others in the side possess.

While Ryan Matterson is a genuine edge threat with his size, strength and offloading ability, he doesn’t quite produce Cartwright’s miracle offloads.

Coming to the Eels on a minimum wage deal means Cartwright will be fighting for a bench spot. It’s unlikely he’ll unseat either of Shaun Lane or Matterson in the starting 13.

According to training reports, Cartwright has impressed in his defensive application and willingness to work hard. Positive news so far.

He was also training with Mark Carroll during the off-season once he’d returned to Sydney and that indicates a willingness to push himself.

Cartwright has the potential to be that x-factor and with the likes of Brad Takairangi and Andrew Davey departing the club, he has an opportunity to take advantage of what is currently an open spot on the bench.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Just trolled Plenty as a player and you got it wrong again.

• I think it may also depend on if they continue with the COVID dispensations which permitted players on development contracts to play NRL.

• In my opinion if every player is fit and healthy, I think Marata misses out on the bench. My bench would be Hipgrave/Kaufusi, Papali'i, Cartwright and Roache.

• No way will Nuikore miss out!

• Niukore over Kaufusi every day of the week as far as I am concerned. 

• X2

Kaufusi hasn't impressed me so far at all. Niukore is miles ahead and IMO was one of our best and most consistent last season.

• I am looking forward to seeing what Carty can bring.. You never know, he may be just what the Doctor ordered for us. He is only on minimal wage and it is only a one yrar deal, so we have nothing to lose and a lot to gain imo.

• The key will be how much Cartwright wants a career in the NRL.

Early signs have all been positive, so I am expecting he will be in the mix gving it his best.

Will he be a bit jaded to begin with? I think this is a possibility

Will he be given sufficient opportunity to prove himself? Only one person makes that decision and I am not confident Bryce will get a full chance.

Whichever way it goes he must make the best of any and all opportunities that come his way.

I have a quiet confidence he will measure up to expectations and look forward to seeing him in action in the BnG.

• There's no way Marata will miss out, I would actually like to see him start, push lane or brown to prop or the bench and have him at lock, I know that will rustle some feathers but a bigger body at the start than brown and then an angry brown off the bench might be good, but starting the game with 3 big guys is a good idea 

• This reply was deleted.
      • Paulo and Nathan Brown can both do that.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

HKF replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Could Lomax backflip on his decision?
"He can. The NRL reintroduced the rule before this season. "
2 minutes ago
HKF replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Could Lomax backflip on his decision?
"Yeah it seems that way.
At the end of the day if he comes or doesn't its not the biggest issue at the club, the coach is the biggest,  junior development,  recruitment and retention and the captaincy are all issues that urgently need to be addressed…"
4 minutes ago
BEM replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Could Lomax backflip on his decision?
"He can't but if he could, would anyone really blame him?"
5 minutes ago
EA replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Could Lomax backflip on his decision?
"What is everyone's thoughts on Bostock. He is off contact and dolphins have junior tupou who will take his spot. "
5 minutes ago
More…