New side enters the race for Trent Barrett

The former Canterbury mentor will have options ahead of 2023.

The former coach has been out of work for three months since his departure from Canterbury, however a local rival looks set to swoop on Barrett as an assistant coach - the Parramatta Eels.

White still sitting firmly in the top eight, things have gotten rocky at times for Parramatta in 2022, losing a stack of talent ahead of next season while numerous other head coaches have been linked to the club, applying pressure to incumbent coach Brad Arthur.

Both Cameron Ciraldo and Michael Maguire were reported to have spoken to the club over the last six weeks.

Linked heavily with a return to the Dragons as Anthony Griffin's assistant, the Eels have identified Barrett as a quality right-hand man for Arthur, and he certainly has the track record to boot.

Despite his poor head coaching statistics, Barrett does have some favourable stints as an assistant, most notably his recent time spent at Penrith before joining the Bulldogs.

Channel Nine's 'The Mole' reports that chats have already gotten underway for Barrett to link up with Parramatta in 2023.

Having won just two finals games in nine years as the Eels' head coach, it appears the blowtorch is well and truly finally on Arthur after a succession of underperforming seasons or soft exits in the post-season.

Whether he accepts the role or not, it seems Trent Barrett will certainly be employed by an NRL club ahead of the 2023 season.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Bring all the Dragons rejects, why not. Brown, Ennis, McGregor, Barrett. They all have done nothing for the red v so no better reason than to employ them here

• Absolute disgrace that we would even consider bringing a guy like this to our club

His energy is depressing, his body lanuage is worse, he cant even string a sensible line together and his teams are dead set garbage.

Why would we want to put his energy into our already struggling team?

This shows perfectly the shockingly low standards our club has, and it starts with the CEO.

I told people this exact scenario would happen.

This clubs a disgrace and on the serious slide.

• Added to that, this might mean BA is here for 2023 without seeing how he ends this year.

• for sure he will be, hes not going anywhere, even if we came last.

Because nobodies job is riding on it, theres no accountability and our CEO is a joke who is not even reactionary, he just does nothing.

• Exactly. They're all a bunch of Con Artists laughing 😂 all the way to the  Bank 🏦 at fans expense. 

• Your a "miscreant" Trooper.....it would appear that you are so far down the socio economic pole you think the world is laughing at you at your expense........how could you possibly bring con artists into the equation and justify same?

• I used to be a miscreant but I got better 

• That was all those kicks in the arse Sluggo, I think Trooper could be past redemption.

• Agreed. And the fact he condoned Gus to take over that training sesh said it all. The second that's happens a coach loses the team.

• The article does point out that despite his poor head coaching record, he is highly regarded as an assistant. 
      As for his body language, he's hardly alone in the coaching industry. Ivan Cleary isn't exactly a bubbly personality. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Kurupt - Monkey Magic replied to Johnny Suede's discussion ‘How disappointing is that’': Tigers greats Benny Elias and Steve Roach ‘invited by Parra’ amid bizarre series of snubs
"Yep"
2 minutes ago
Kurupt - Monkey Magic replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"All this talk and he'll probably sign with the dogs, I believe they promised him fullback. "
4 minutes ago
Michael Ericson replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We aren't as desperate for lomax as the media are making out. I posted on here at the end of last year that I was told we probably wouldn't be going into the market for outside backs because we were going to be blooding  players from the SG ball…"
18 minutes ago
Bup replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Sofa -Solomona wouldn't go to the Dragons, Warriors want to replace Fonua -Blake the moneys the same and if he leaves the Storm the most likely destination.
The Dragons are on the nose to quality players he'd prefer the dogs or dolphins over…"
23 minutes ago
More…