Murdoch turns on Trump

The Post says: Give it up, Mr. President — for your sake and the nation’s

Mr. President, it’s time to end this dark charade.

We’re one week away from an enormously important moment for the next four years of our country.

On Jan. 5, two runoff races in Georgia will determine which party will control the Senate — whether Joe Biden will have a rubber stamp or a much-needed check on his agenda.

Unfortunately, you’re obsessed with the next day, Jan. 6, when Congress will, in a pro forma action, certify the Electoral College vote. You have tweeted that, as long as Republicans have “courage,” they can overturn the results and give you four more years in office.

In other words, you’re cheering for an undemocratic coup.

You had every right to investigate the election. But let’s be clear: Those efforts have found nothing. To take just two examples: Your campaign paid $3 million for a recount in two Wisconsin counties, and you lost by 87 more votes. Georgia did two recounts of the state, each time affirming Biden’s win. These ballots were counted by hand, which alone debunks the claims of a Venezuelan vote-manipulating Kraken conspiracy.

Sidney Powell is a crazy person. Michael Flynn suggesting martial law is tantamount to treason. It is shameful.

We understand, Mr. President, that you’re angry that you lost. But to continue down this road is ruinous. We offer this as a newspaper that endorsed you, that supported you: If you want to cement your influence, even set the stage for a future return, you must channel your fury into something more productive.

Stop thinking about Jan. 6. Start thinking about Jan. 5.

If Republicans David Perdue and Kelly Loeffler win, they will prevent Biden from rolling back what you have accomplished. A Republican Senate can pressure Biden against returning to the old, failed Iran deal, can stop him from throwing open our southern border, will prevent him from packing the Supreme Court.

Now imagine a government controlled by your nemeses — Nancy Pelosi in the House, Chuck Schumer in the Senate, Biden in the White House. How high will taxes go? How many of your initiatives will be strangled? And, on a personal note, do you think they won’t spend the next four years torturing you with baseless hearings and investigations?

Consider this. You came out of nowhere to win the presidency. Not an elected official, not a lawyer, not beholden to any particular faction of the swamp. You took on the elites and the media who had long lost touch with average working people. You changed politics, which is something few in American history can say.

If Georgia falls, all that is threatened. You will leave your party out of power, less likely to listen to what you have to say or to capitalize on your successes, such as expanding the Hispanic voting bloc for the GOP.

Democrats will try to write you off as a one-term aberration and, frankly, you’re helping them do it. The King Lear of Mar-a-Lago, ranting about the corruption of the world.

https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=640 640w, https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1280 1280w, https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024 1024w, https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=2000 2000w" alt="President Trump" width="1024" height="682" data-srcset="https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=300 300w, https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=640 640w, https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1280 1280w, https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=1024 1024w, https://nypost.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2020/12/201227-trump-editorial2.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&w=2000 2000w" data-sizes="(max-width: 640px) 100vw, 1024px" />President TrumpAl Drago/Getty Images

Securing the Senate means securing your legacy. You should use your considerable charm and influence to support the Georgia candidates, mobilizing your voters for them. Focus on their success, not your own grievances, as we head into the final week.

If you insist on spending your final days in office threatening to burn it all down, that will be how you are remembered. Not as a revolutionary, but as the anarchist holding the match.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Votes: 0

Replies

• I don,t know what you mean by "get over it "Poppa. We are in the middle of a historic event around a virus causing a lot of pain to many as well as economic disruptions which will take years to overcome. We have had a President of the USA who has broken heaps of records in his tenancy which we will probably never live through again in our lifetime and we simply dismiss that as a passing irrelevancy. Climate change on top of an ever-changing pandemic are things that should not be suitable for discussion?

What topic of discussion should we be on about.I notice another sack BA blog up again. Is that where the masses' headspace is on about? 

• This reply was deleted.
                    • Okay Poppa.I am glad your wife pesters you as well about this stuff.I thought it was only me.I do try and distract myself with other things. Its a bit like a buzzing fly when it enters your territory-----you know what old people are like.

• Just on the virus, Morrison and Trump. Morrisson's reaction to the virus was the making of him and why he will probably get another term.  While Trumo's reaction (or non reaction) was probably his undoing.  

• Elvis, I would agree here. ScoMo by and large did well. Not perfect, but who was? He certainly learned from going AWOL with the bushfires. It's a fair analogy you make, action and inaction, ScoMo and Trump. 
                    I expect Albo to lose the next election, though I'm afaraid for what current ScoMo politics means for our 40 billion international student export market. None of us get entirely what we want!

• Bob, these are fair points but you know as well as I that you're avoiding the question. You're leaving out a justification for inaction in Libya and Iraq. Fair points if you want to discredit military action, but you need to warrant why no action would have been more good than harm. You're shirking that, so you're argument fails to win any points against the progressives. You sound like the moral relativist conservatives normally attack. I wonder if you're not a bit confused and are settling for cheap point scoring? You can do better. 

One way into the murkiness of war. when we are opposed to it - and both of us are, in general, I suspect - is to ask is the point regime change or regime building? Because the clear failure of the US under GOP and Democratic rule has been to fight bad guys in Afghanistan, Iraq and Libya and then leave and not think about what happens to war ravaged societies with weak civic institutions and norms. Well they soon learned it was the rise of even worse bad guys, like the Taliban and ISIS. 

Notably, the Canadian Peacekeeping forces enjoy monuments and public acclaim while the US generates Rambo. The Americans don't do the hard work stuff. The general question remains, though. Should blind eyes be turned to the bad guys? Criticizing leftists selectively, as you neglect GOP wars, implies trolling, but criticizing action without warranting inaction, implies insular nationalism and a willingness to ignore Middle East dictators attacking their own citizens. 

• This reply was deleted.
                • I know you don.t want to go there Poppa neglecting Climate change will ruin an economy. That's why industry is going that way. The ones putting the brakes on are those that have a lot to lose. We are going through much the same process we went through at the beginning of the Industrial revolution. 

• Poppa, I was just reading the other day about an Aussie-made hydrogen fuel cell that stores 40kWh (average household uses 8-20kWh per day) and outputs 5kW. Enough for morning and afternoon peak use. The unit uses solar PV and a water supply to let electrolysis convert water into oxygen and hydrogen. 

Green power. Creating new jobs. Giving old jobs more work. Doing something about climate, and economic growth, do not have to be considered a zero sum game. Ya gotta join the 21st century my friend. 

• For f@ck sake super can we close this shit already , it's more than run it's course.  

When Trump won the right gloated, the left whinged, now he is gone the left are gloating and the right are wringing, there are no winners here, in the end we all pay a price one way or another. 

• HKF, you seem to overlook the left dealt with the Trump gloaters for 4 years. If think the left earned a little time to make some points. Besides, where were the right wingers these past few months as Trump death rode his own democracy?

Regardless, it's pretty precious to censor content that does not violate site rules. There are plenty of blogs to go around. All tides turn. That's life 

• Blogs that were supportive of right wing views were shut down quicker than this one has been allowed to run. Personally I don't really give a f@ck about American politics, i am just over seeing the sites filled with eels supporters fighting over it.

Personally I see myself in the centre with some leanings to the right and some to the left, I dislike Trump as a person, always have, thought he was doing a decent job as president,  better than any of his recent predecessors,  until covid that is, he totally botched that and showed in recent times he was not fit for office.

I dislike political correctness but also don't think it should be a free for all, I dislike communism and it's dictatorial control of society but I also believe there needs to be a certain degree of societal control (minimal). I'm  confused,  you tell me where I sit.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
1 hour ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
1 hour ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
1 hour ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We definitely need Lomax more than we need Grieg. Plus I back BA to develop gun forwards if we need to. We already have amazing forwards coming through our Matt, SG and Flegg team."
1 hour ago
More…