Most depressing town you’ve visited

As many here would know I’ve been in Goulburn all week for family reasons, and to be fair my reasons for being here have probably influenced my feelings in the subject, but I have never been to a more depressing town in my life. It’s cold, windy, grey & miserable and I can’t wait to be out of here this time tomorrow.

So putting it out there, what places have you been to that you just wanted to take an enormous dump on before you left ?

The only other places that rival Goulburn for me are Monto & Invercargill. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Goulburn would have to be up there in the official list of shittest towns. 

• Captains Flat near Canberra. True  story follows:

1974. As a kid had to take a bog, went in, to public toilet, it was blocked, has to crap in corner

2016- returned. Same need, same outcome 

Cold, gravel hills, hillbilly houses, and bats hit boring.   Someone should remove it from the map

• so you could say Captain's Flat really gives you the Sh**s..........lol

• This reply was deleted.
      • Don't you have a nurse in the nursing home that helps you with that, Poppa? Just saying.

• I thought you were gonna say that you’re ‘74 dump was still sitting there 32 years later 

• It would have to be Willcannia. All the shops are boarded up and the only place open is the servo. It's 250km from Cobar and about the same to Broken Hill. The worst part is that is used to be a thriving town as a port on the Darling River. Admittedly the locals are trying to inject some pride in their town, but there is a long way to go. It makes Goulburn look like paradise! At least you have the Paragon Cafe there, which is nice.

• I second this, Wilcannia is an absolute s**thole.  Used to travel out to Fowlers Gap on a semi regular basis over a few years in the mid 90's, Wilcannia would have to be the most unfriendly town I have stopped at.  

As far as capital cities go Adelaide would have to be the worst.

• The worst place I have ever had the displeasure of visiting and believe me it was a brief one, as neither my mate nor I wanted to get out of the car is Walgett.  Some places have bad reputations and while this visit was in 1986, from what I hear its worse now with the only sort of supermarket now closed, its a cess pool of a place.

This was at a time when much of NSW rural towns were only just starting to go backwards.  The other place I put on the list is Taree, we had 8 years there and if I ever go back there it will be too soon, yet we may go back there in December this year for my wife's last auntie turns 93 and having a birthday there, when she passes its the end of a generation from a large family, with the women all surving into their 90's and the men barelly into their 60's

• I think Betty would disagree with you there Colin...

• Yeah, just met my uncle in the Paragon. Not bad 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Darren Munro replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"I think it was ok as well. I think in hindsight he should have played asi vs Canberra and kept Blaize at centre."
1 hour ago
"Or Bennett has already been signed and Ba is doing his best to keep it together. "
1 hour ago
"Exactly "
1 hour ago
Strange-eel replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"Flops aren't illegal anymore it seems.
 "
2 hours ago
More…