Matterson meets with Eels over potential switch.

Disgruntled Wests Tigers star Ryan Matterson has met with Parramatta as he explores a possible homecoming to his junior club.

Matterson was given permission to negotiate with other clubs late last month and is expected to turn out in rival colours next year despite having two seasons to run on his current Tigers deal.

NRL.com understands that Matterson met with Eels officials on Tuesday and is also scheduled to fly to the Gold Coast and meet incoming Titans coach Justin Holbrook next week.Parramatta coach Brad Arthur is on holidays and was not present at Tuesday's meeting, but both parties remain open to pursuing a possible move for Matterson back into the Blue and Gold.

The Tigers though have stressed they won't release the rising back-rower unless they also benefit from the deal.

Whether that involves a player swap or financial compensation has been discussed at Concord, but the Tigers hard-line stance looms as a significant hurdle for clubs pursuing the 25-year-old

Both the Eels and Wests Tigers are yet to make an official announcement on the matter.

Retiring Wests Tigers icon Robbie Farah described Matterson's dispute with the club as "beyond the point of return" last week, with the Tigers keen to have Matterson's future sorted before the next rugby league financial year begins on November 1.

Matterson is slated to earn around $350,000 next year under his Tigers deal, but would be able to earn a bigger payday elsewhere given his rise to NSW Origin 18th man honours this year.

Parramatta have identified Matterson as a potential back-row target having already beefed up their forward pack by securing Reagan Campbell-Gillard from Penrith.

Matterson started out as an Eels junior and captained their under 20s team as a halfback, but fell out with Arthur over the coach's push for him to play in the forwards.

The pair have since resolved their differences, though it was Holbrook who proved instrumental in taking Matterson across town to the Roosters in 2016.

Holbrook guided St Helens to his first Super League title last weekend in his farewell to the English powerhouse, and is set to take charge at the Titans in the coming days

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• That's a fair call PF, if Wests want a player swap then it will be one they believe can seemlessly fit into the team, Twal has been a good signing for them, but I don't want to lose any of the development players that are seen as being key forwards for our future.

The two clubs reached an acceptable deal with MM, and would say they will do the same should Matto return, he will get a contract upgrade and perhaps contribute to Wests some coin, which they could well use one would think as they have cap issues.

• The last time they demanded a player from us was when we poached Moses and gave them Twal.

• I reckon we should offer them Tim Mannah as a secret weapon for their coaching staff, in return for Matterson.

They would jump at the deal youd think.

• I've heard it's a done deal 

• The Welch deal was perculating for close to 2 months with members in here saying it was a done deal. It wasn't. Not saying it wouldn't had he not done his knee but a deal is only done when the signatures are on a contract.

• Bazza, look up Vorarephilia if you are not familiar with it, and get back to me..... son.

• Not this shit again....I'm telling you, you need help I'm serious. Btw do u go through the dictionary looking for the most difficult word to pronounce?

• 3663098631?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Snake has needed help for awhile. I offered him time to spend in Monto watching the great Monto Roos play to inspire him but he declined.

• Id offer them Salmon as part of the deal its clear he's not out 5/8 matto and takka could fill that role in case of injury.

All for the right price of course

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

EA replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Just because we win against Manly it does not mean BA is the right coach for us "
8 minutes ago
EA replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"He has no pace to be on the wing and his carry's are not strong "
10 minutes ago
RustyNuts replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Muttman, would you consider moving Gutho to the wing next year when Lomax arrives? Minnichello did this successfully for a couple of years at the end of career with the chooks.
Gutho could still be the voice for the boys at the back, is safe under a…"
15 minutes ago
Darren Munro replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"Agree! Everyone said Russell was a good fb coming through. Interesting to note cini has been moved to Fb in Reggies "
16 minutes ago
More…