Matterson meets with Eels over potential switch.

Disgruntled Wests Tigers star Ryan Matterson has met with Parramatta as he explores a possible homecoming to his junior club.

Matterson was given permission to negotiate with other clubs late last month and is expected to turn out in rival colours next year despite having two seasons to run on his current Tigers deal.

NRL.com understands that Matterson met with Eels officials on Tuesday and is also scheduled to fly to the Gold Coast and meet incoming Titans coach Justin Holbrook next week.Parramatta coach Brad Arthur is on holidays and was not present at Tuesday's meeting, but both parties remain open to pursuing a possible move for Matterson back into the Blue and Gold.

The Tigers though have stressed they won't release the rising back-rower unless they also benefit from the deal.

Whether that involves a player swap or financial compensation has been discussed at Concord, but the Tigers hard-line stance looms as a significant hurdle for clubs pursuing the 25-year-old

Both the Eels and Wests Tigers are yet to make an official announcement on the matter.

Retiring Wests Tigers icon Robbie Farah described Matterson's dispute with the club as "beyond the point of return" last week, with the Tigers keen to have Matterson's future sorted before the next rugby league financial year begins on November 1.

Matterson is slated to earn around $350,000 next year under his Tigers deal, but would be able to earn a bigger payday elsewhere given his rise to NSW Origin 18th man honours this year.

Parramatta have identified Matterson as a potential back-row target having already beefed up their forward pack by securing Reagan Campbell-Gillard from Penrith.

Matterson started out as an Eels junior and captained their under 20s team as a halfback, but fell out with Arthur over the coach's push for him to play in the forwards.

The pair have since resolved their differences, though it was Holbrook who proved instrumental in taking Matterson across town to the Roosters in 2016.

Holbrook guided St Helens to his first Super League title last weekend in his farewell to the English powerhouse, and is set to take charge at the Titans in the coming days

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• There was also Casey McGuire (2011) who came back, but admitted he was a lazy sack during his Parra junior days.

• Plus he wanted to get back to Queensland for personal reasons

• I think it's also related to development systems.

The 2018 Review identified we needed to be better at "development" (transitioning players/ juniors into good first graders).

We're behind the Roosters and Storm, but perhaps we're getting a bit better (Dylan, Mahoney, Sivo, Nuikore maybe).

That also helps salary cap value management.

But, I've over simplified it - inter-related to other factors such as good recruitment & retention and good club systems & culture.

• Think  Ryan Matterson is similar in style to lane.  Big tall men with a good running line and off load .  Frizell is harder edged and bigger motor but yes we will lose him to origin and he can jag and injury or two .  

• Yeah similar but Lane has well and truly proven himself every time he takes the field for us  ... so how do we justify paying Matterson in excess of 400k or whatever upgrade  amount  that he is seeking unless we do the same for one of our own proven stars?

• This reply was deleted.
    • Mick, good question, thing is we get RCG who still have good years left in him, same with Matto, RCG brings size and experience to the front row and turns 27 next July, wait till he's off contract at the riff he's not going to get a contract elsewhere.

Matto is a bit younger as he has just turned 25, and has good experience with a premiership under his belt. If he signs for 3 years, he's still likely worth a couple of years more.

• Are we paying over? We are paying less than market value due to another club helping, not our problem. 

• Exactly Tim. Parra will only pay what they believe is a fair deal to get the right players into the club. If players want more then they will need to knock on the doors of the salary sombreros. Even then there are only so many players those clubs can take. I like that the club is playing hardball here. You can imagine a few years ago Parra would have payed most of RCGs contract, lumping us with Penrith's problem. As it stands, it is still Penrith's problem - we have taken a much smaller risk.

• Parramatta Lurker: I don`t buy that story that Matterson fell out with Arthur because Arthur wanted him to go in the forwards. When Matterson left the Eels I inquired why.? Most fans who had seen him play had a good opinion of him. The story I got was that Arthur cut him becuse he thought him not good enough! Arthur cut other promising juniors at that time also. If Matterson comes to the Eels it will be for money not becaus he loves Brad Arthur.

• Should never have been let go. I will never have any doubt sacking him & signing Foran (putting us over the cap) cost us the 2016 premiership.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
2 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
3 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
3 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Agree , need to keep him. "
3 hours ago
More…