Mahoney reportedly makes contract decision

Mahoney reportedly makes contract decision

https://www.zerotackle.com/mahoney-reportedly-makes-contract-decision-111821/ 

Parramatta Eels' star hooker Reed Mahoney has reportedly made a decision on where he will be playing from 2023 and beyond.

Mahoney's future has been one which has come under plenty of speculation in recent months, with the star who was due to make a Queensland Origin debut in 2022 before injury derailed him off-contract at the end of 2022.

He was one of 18 Eels' players who didn't have a secure future from 2023 and beyond. That number has now dropped to 16, with prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard re-signing with the club, and second-rower Marata Niukore linking up with the Warriors on a mega deal which was confirmed this morning.

Mahoney's future only had new storylines added to the rumour mill earlier this week when he was spotted dining at Canterbury Leagues Club with his manager as well as Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett and general manager Phil Gould.

While Canterbury are desperate for a starting number nine, there have also been reports the Brisbane Broncos and Dolphins were keen on Mahoney.

Given the Eels' worryingly bad salary cap situation, it had appeared unlikely the men in blue and gold were going to be able to hang onto Mahoney, but now, according to Wacko's Whispers for The Daily Telegraph, Mahoney will stay put in Western Sydney.

Reports suggested yesterday the offer Parramatta could put on the table would be substantially less than the one the Bulldogs, Broncos or Dolphins could provide, however, in a rare case of player loyalty, Mahoney is set to stay in Brad Arthur's side.

The Eels will need to move fast, with all off-contract players now able to negotiate with other clubs, however, Mahoney is a pivotal part of their team.

He was one of the most-missed players during the finals series of 2021, and while Ray Stone did an admirable job filling in, it's arguable Parramatta could have gone further into the finals had Mahoney been fit.

It's understood the Eels will also make Clinton Gutherson's contract a matter of urgency, with the club captain said to be weighing up his options.

Parramatta's late start to re-negotiating contracts is thought to have been caused by long delays in re-signing coach Brad Arthur beyond the end of 2022, with speculation mounting around the coaches future this season.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• So he will take less? perhaps heavy incentives with a player option for more $$$. Otherwise it is great for us, keep our hooker and have more cash to sign others.

• Zero tackle is written by 12 year olds. 

• What a load of crap!

• God damn media and this narrative they have about us being in a bad cap situation.I really hope we get most of these guys resigned.

Its almost as though they've discarded that our guys negotiating these extensions don't actually have a plan.Just writing shit and hopefully it sticks.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Frankie Fong's discussion A MESSAGE FROM THE FONG
"Not a bad claim, only thing i say is Norths only made one more GF after their 1922 title. In 77 years they made 1 GF. No minor premierships either. Souths were in same boat. 1971 was last premiership before 2014. In that time of 43 years they made…"
2 minutes ago
Frank The Tank replied to Frankie Fong's discussion A MESSAGE FROM THE FONG
"I agree wholeheartedly and life's far more important than any game. To lose someone you love under those circumstances is unthinkable.
Regarding the Eels, to be honest all Eels fans should be used to losing by now - like it or not we are fast…"
8 minutes ago
LB replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Gutho knee issues
"100% Steel. I cannot stand Luai, what he stands for as a player. But if he played for Parramatta i would defend him to the hills. Latrell if he was at Parra i would stand by him. It is just how it is. Now doesn't mean we turn a blind eye to bad…"
8 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Jamal Fogarty bicep injury, do we use Sanders as leverage?
"He has gotten better this year. You are right, Stuart would like to keep him but at same time has flaws and he like Hopoate a bit and Rapana will come back at some point, Chevy Stuart has to stay at 1. Savage could be expendable. I mean Sanders is…"
13 minutes ago
More…