I was at the game tonight and will be asking the club to cover all expenses, including court fees and a new garage door. Such a pathetic team and coaching effort. 4 tries to 2 in the first half, 7 tries to 0 in the 2nd. Bellow is my drunken post game assessment of the team and the future.
Coaching: At the end of last year, I didn’t know if the anomaly was 2017 or 2018. I was waiting till round 12 this year before I made a call but I think I’ve seen enough now. BA is a good bloke but he is an average NRL coach. He was out-coached tonight on many levels. He struggles with game plans. His defensive coach has failed as well. I think that the good quality defensive and attacking coaches/assistants don’t want to work with BA, or the $ offerted is poor. He needs to be replaced because he isn’t NRL standard.
Now to the effort by the players tonight.
- Gutho. Crap. Showed he lacks class and skill to be a top ranking FB and captain. Keep on basic wage.
- Sivo. Didn’t get enough ball. Needs to work on defensive technique before he kills someone. Keep.
- Jennings. Only saw him when he fell off tackles. His poor tackling lead to their 4th try because he couldn’t contain the ball runner and was too slow at marker. His runs are always weak. Easy to tackle. Looks uninterested. Let him go now.
- Taka. Rubbish in attack and defence. Slow. Makes poor decisions. Let him go now.
- Forgo. Always been a “rocks and diamonds” player but today he was unlucky - tough bounce and dodgy ref call. Have to keep anyway.
- Salmon. Young and still learning. Unfortunately Brown being injured has meant he has been thrown in earlier than planned. Work in progress.
- Moses. They ran lines at him all night and we didn’t have enough ball for him to be effective. Some kick options were poor but pass to Lane for the try was good. I’d persist with him especially if we get a dominant pack. Keep.
- Alvaro. Slow, soft and weak. TV makes him look better than he is. Can’t win a ruck in attack or in defence. Let him go now.
- (14) Terepo. Rubbish in defense and no punch in attach. Strange decision to have him start at hooker. If they thought Mahoney wasn’t up to it, why not try Stone? Let him go.
- Paulo. He needs to run like Terepo. He’s obviously under instruction to be a ball player and it ain’t working. If they want him to be a ball player, then play him wider. Keep.
- Lane. Ok effort I thought. Ran good lines when he had the opportunity. Still getting used to being an 80 minute player. Keep
- Niukore. Below average tonight. Very soft and clumsy in defence tonight. He and Taka were poor on that edge. Young, so persist off the bench.
- Moeroa. Not sure about tonight. Something about him I like but I don’t think the modern game suits him. Tries hard but is too slow. Maybe he isn’t being utilised properly. And no punch. Undecided.
14. (9) Mahoney. Ok night but was introduced too late. Will get better with a better defensive coach and structure. Needs to learn to read opposition lines better but he is a work in progress. Keep.
15. Mannah. Didn’t get much of a go and they did their homework on Timmy. He wasn’t able to drive after contact. 1 more year for leadership purposes but most likely in reserves.
16. Kaufusi. Would have liked to see him earlier. No impact off the bench and defensive technique needs work. Undecided.
17. Ma’u. Is he coming off the bench for health reasons? I would start him before Niukore and use him as an enforcer/intimidator/niggler.
In summary: tell BA, Kidwell, Jennings, Taka, Alvaro and Terepo to look elsewhere. Tell, Gutho he isn’t as good as he thinks he is, replace D Brown if he can’t return. Get Ma’u in the starting squad to upset opponents. Tell Junior to run hard.
Anyway, sad night for me but I had to post some thoughts to try to get over it.