6601149664?profile=RESIZE_710x

A  chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

As good as we played against the Cowboys, we softened up towards the end of the first half once our bench guys came on. When our starters Nuikore, Junior, RCG went off, we lost our dominance in the midde. Subsequently, the Cowboys made easy ground and started busting us through the middle and them scored on our fabled right edge. The often reliable but match-unfit Gower was the most obvious sinner, as he was dropping balls and letting players whiz past him needing Gutho to push him into the defensive line when we were on the goal-line defending, weakening the line, just before the Cows scored (though he improved greatly in the second half, perhaps after a rev up).

It didn't matter in this game, but it could when it gets to squeaky bum time.

It goes to show Arthur may need to be careful in the bigger games. Whether he keeps some starters on-field for longer hours, like big-motored Junior who's in career best form and not have all off at the same time; that's something for him to decide.

The good performances of Field, Kaufusi, Taka and even Stone make me wonder as to what might be the best composition of our best bench. Here's my initial thoughts on our best bench, pending injuries:

Lock-ins:

Brown/Nuikore (one in starting team). Nuikore has proven himself this year. Strong and agressive running and defending.

6601199869?profile=RESIZE_710x

Kaufusi. It's critical we keep developing him (even over Evans) and getting him working long-term with the entire engine room. The longer they play together the better.

Likey:

Evans, when he returns. We probably need another bopper to rotate RCG and Junior with.

One more spot: our best no.14?

6601606690?profile=RESIZE_710x

Stone, is a goer (despite last week's horror show) and probably the frontrunner, but I wonder whether Field hasn't made a case, or even Taka?

6601102300?profile=RESIZE_710x

Field shows his blinding acceleration. Meanwhile,Taka can play on the edges or halves as a great temporary link man. He's skillful and running hard at the moment.

6601345875?profile=RESIZE_710x

Ideally, the bench could do more than maintain momentum: provide energy and spark, change momentum in our favour, be game-changers, perhaps when the team needs it most. 

6603218857?profile=RESIZE_710x

It's been a while since we had a sparkly no.14 out in the middle the likes of a PJ Marsh or Brad Drew: skillful support player with zip and speed,  busting the middle. Stone isn't in that mould. Reed isn't there with his running game either, yet, but he's a key cog, that we need for as long as possible on the field.

But, I wonder whether Field could provide some extra zip, off the bench, to break open a game with his speed, support play and developing skills. However, it's difficult to see Field playing in the middle or at dummy half relief permanently. So, it makes me question: where he would he fit into the equation, other than injury cover? It would mean a reshuffle to fit him in. He's also unproven. But, maybe he's worth persevering with?

There's an old mantra: select your best 17 then work out the positions later.

So, who is the best player between the three of them? Stone doesn't possess the skills of Field and Taka. But without Stone, do we lose too much energy in the middle when our starters are off? And do we really need Field or Taka in the 17?

Perhaps, our final bench will rotate dependant on our opposition and injuries? Perhaps there's a better bench I haven't thought of? What are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen? How can we get the most juice from the bench?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Love how you included ladies - not everyone does it so Thankyou !!

i like the idea of having that little fast scurrier 

aka pj marsh or brad drew - offered us such a burst back in the day , could field provide that ?? but also agree on takas value as a link - it’s a bloody hard one 

• Lol. Thanks Carlo. I had you in mind. Yeah, you get where I'm coming from. If only we could have a 6 to 8 man bench. Reckon that would be good for the game, imo.

Btw, we more women's input here. Tinkers had a beautiful energy, too, like you, but vanished into bigger and better things. After all their brains develop two to three years quicker than most men and can multi task. The problem is they can't be bothered with all our shenanigans here, lol. 

• I love shenanigans lol 

my life is one big shenanigan lmfao 

must be why I’m still here ....

• Lol ... You have to love snenanigans to stay here.  

You still dreaming about Piggy btw? Classic comment of yours.

• Lol weirdest dream ever

saw thevreplay on footy show this morn bloody clapping himself like in my dream !!!

• I think 

Evans, Kaufasi, Brown/Marata are locked in.

I'm a Stone fan i like the way he hits but it leaves us short with injuries to the spine or backs.

I think Takka is the better option.

In saying that down the track id like to try Field in that role

• Nice work HOE.   Agree with Carlo.... I think the way the games are going, if Jai Field can show he is up to it physically, I see him as very influential 14.  The ability to increase tempo and bring speed into the ruck at tired offenders is massive. The ten minutes either side of the half are becoming the telling blows.   We know we finish fast and we are FIT.   What we need to do is stretch the A and B defenders and create a little bit of mayhem.   You do that with scoots and quick at the line plays. Field is potentially a game breaker if used correctly.  I have a gut feeling he might go with him this week and even when Mitch is back. 

Kafusi is a GIVEN so is EVANS, so is NUIKORE .   Field can cover most backline and even dummy half. 

• HOE I was about to post blog that was going to make some people look quite stupid but then I saw this blog and will wsu a few days as this blog deserves all attention and debate as it's another gem of a blog by you, you really have a gift HOE. 

• Brown and Evans are back.

No problems as far as I'm concerned.

• I can't see Field on the bench any time soon to be honest, which means he is injury cover for the halves. Maybe in a few years that may change, but will we be able to keep him that long if other clubs get a look in for a starting role? I think Taka provides that versatility especially in attack and Stone comes in when we need to boost the defence.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

SuperEel 22 replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"With is injury history, he's probably having his training loads managed."
2 minutes ago
SuperEel 22 replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"There's been plenty of talk about Talagi on the bench and how we need 4 forwards. But we've run with 4 forwards there before and it hasn't worked.
In the heat it's more important to control the ball and field position. Which, funnily enough, we've…"
3 minutes ago
Colin Good replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"Blaize needs to be taken aside by Dylan Brown and be given a crash course on his tackling style, Dylan has the old style boots and all of Ron Coote , just beautiful to watch."
5 minutes ago
Bob Smith replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"Now now, BA knows best."
6 minutes ago
More…