6601149664?profile=RESIZE_710x

A  chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

As good as we played against the Cowboys, we softened up towards the end of the first half once our bench guys came on. When our starters Nuikore, Junior, RCG went off, we lost our dominance in the midde. Subsequently, the Cowboys made easy ground and started busting us through the middle and them scored on our fabled right edge. The often reliable but match-unfit Gower was the most obvious sinner, as he was dropping balls and letting players whiz past him needing Gutho to push him into the defensive line when we were on the goal-line defending, weakening the line, just before the Cows scored (though he improved greatly in the second half, perhaps after a rev up).

It didn't matter in this game, but it could when it gets to squeaky bum time.

It goes to show Arthur may need to be careful in the bigger games. Whether he keeps some starters on-field for longer hours, like big-motored Junior who's in career best form and not have all off at the same time; that's something for him to decide.

The good performances of Field, Kaufusi, Taka and even Stone make me wonder as to what might be the best composition of our best bench. Here's my initial thoughts on our best bench, pending injuries:

Lock-ins:

Brown/Nuikore (one in starting team). Nuikore has proven himself this year. Strong and agressive running and defending.

6601199869?profile=RESIZE_710x

Kaufusi. It's critical we keep developing him (even over Evans) and getting him working long-term with the entire engine room. The longer they play together the better.

Likey:

Evans, when he returns. We probably need another bopper to rotate RCG and Junior with.

One more spot: our best no.14?

6601606690?profile=RESIZE_710x

Stone, is a goer (despite last week's horror show) and probably the frontrunner, but I wonder whether Field hasn't made a case, or even Taka?

6601102300?profile=RESIZE_710x

Field shows his blinding acceleration. Meanwhile,Taka can play on the edges or halves as a great temporary link man. He's skillful and running hard at the moment.

6601345875?profile=RESIZE_710x

Ideally, the bench could do more than maintain momentum: provide energy and spark, change momentum in our favour, be game-changers, perhaps when the team needs it most. 

6603218857?profile=RESIZE_710x

It's been a while since we had a sparkly no.14 out in the middle the likes of a PJ Marsh or Brad Drew: skillful support player with zip and speed,  busting the middle. Stone isn't in that mould. Reed isn't there with his running game either, yet, but he's a key cog, that we need for as long as possible on the field.

But, I wonder whether Field could provide some extra zip, off the bench, to break open a game with his speed, support play and developing skills. However, it's difficult to see Field playing in the middle or at dummy half relief permanently. So, it makes me question: where he would he fit into the equation, other than injury cover? It would mean a reshuffle to fit him in. He's also unproven. But, maybe he's worth persevering with?

There's an old mantra: select your best 17 then work out the positions later.

So, who is the best player between the three of them? Stone doesn't possess the skills of Field and Taka. But without Stone, do we lose too much energy in the middle when our starters are off? And do we really need Field or Taka in the 17?

Perhaps, our final bench will rotate dependant on our opposition and injuries? Perhaps there's a better bench I haven't thought of? What are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen? How can we get the most juice from the bench?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• For me our R&R has been very effective as it's given us a very even depth across our top 30.

i like Stone on the bench because he has got to first grade the hard way.... he's not been gifted with a huge body ...he has worked away in reserves building his game 

he will in my opinion get better and better and has a lot of upside.

• Your confusing Stone with Davey Stone is only 23 

• Hey Offside... yeah I'm talking about Ray, what I was trying to say was he didn't burst into first grade at 19 or 20 like many forwards do today.... he hasn't really cemented his spot and many players at 23 might have got the shits and looked to move clubs to get that .... but I like how Ray has just worked away and built his gane in effort cos he is not the biggest dude but he has plenty of ticker.and that's why I like him coming on 

• Embers, it seems some are saying Stone is small, but he is the same size as Victor Radley and defends similarly. Radley is also a ball player but defensively they're the same. Maybe this suggests for Stone to go forward he will need to add that extra element of line running or ball playing?

• Yeah it could, depends what role BAxwants him to play.

with the two halves and Gutho and Zjunior we probably have enough creativity, his role might be quite simple.... make every tackle and run hard  which for young up and coming players is good cos it's simple and they build confidence off doing their job 

• I don't really want to compare Ray Stone with Ray Price, but there are some similarities between the two. They both turn up and get the job done with no nonsense, and neither is very big as a forward. If Stone can emulate some of the dangerous runs that Price had, he will go a long way to securing an NRL spot. That may be the next development of his game.

• Evans, Niukore and Kaufusi appears to have a lock on  15, 16 and 17. 
    14 seems Taka or Stone with Field the, um, left field pick. 
    Did BA show his hand in the final 10 against the Cows, resting MJ and leaving Taka on and shifting Taka to MJ's centre position? Also, one would think Paulo and RCG may need a rest at some stage. Paulo was bought back on in the second half of Cows game with 20 mins when he normally resumes with 30 mins to go. Stone played 30 mins. These rotations may determine bench make up for games up to the finals but will 14 be the only open spot come finals time?

• 🍆. Professor I think this fell out of your pocket in all the excitement 

• It's pretty pathetic to make a fake account as a second account. I guess if you're getting banned all the time you need a backup. 

• Hes had that account for years Daz, always suggesting people should be banned who show you up to be a dope, so typical lefty, make threats to get your own way while everybody else can cop a few sledges like a man, except Daz.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

fake midget pseudoachondroplasia replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"If NOS leaves Melb and they grab Lomax, what about Meaney to Eels. 
I would prefer a player like Wishart but don't see him leaving Melbourne as they love him there.  Genuine utility playing half, hooker centre, wing, and 14 at NRL level.   Didn't…"
11 minutes ago
Bup replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"He's not happy there at the moment, Melbourne don't keep blokes that aren't buying in."
18 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"When was the last time a premiership was won with an expensive centre?
It's not the formula to success "
37 minutes ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I agree Mutts, I actually don't mind us going with him at Centre and forgetting Lomax. "
51 minutes ago
More…