6601149664?profile=RESIZE_710x

A  chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

As good as we played against the Cowboys, we softened up towards the end of the first half once our bench guys came on. When our starters Nuikore, Junior, RCG went off, we lost our dominance in the midde. Subsequently, the Cowboys made easy ground and started busting us through the middle and them scored on our fabled right edge. The often reliable but match-unfit Gower was the most obvious sinner, as he was dropping balls and letting players whiz past him needing Gutho to push him into the defensive line when we were on the goal-line defending, weakening the line, just before the Cows scored (though he improved greatly in the second half, perhaps after a rev up).

It didn't matter in this game, but it could when it gets to squeaky bum time.

It goes to show Arthur may need to be careful in the bigger games. Whether he keeps some starters on-field for longer hours, like big-motored Junior who's in career best form and not have all off at the same time; that's something for him to decide.

The good performances of Field, Kaufusi, Taka and even Stone make me wonder as to what might be the best composition of our best bench. Here's my initial thoughts on our best bench, pending injuries:

Lock-ins:

Brown/Nuikore (one in starting team). Nuikore has proven himself this year. Strong and agressive running and defending.

6601199869?profile=RESIZE_710x

Kaufusi. It's critical we keep developing him (even over Evans) and getting him working long-term with the entire engine room. The longer they play together the better.

Likey:

Evans, when he returns. We probably need another bopper to rotate RCG and Junior with.

One more spot: our best no.14?

6601606690?profile=RESIZE_710x

Stone, is a goer (despite last week's horror show) and probably the frontrunner, but I wonder whether Field hasn't made a case, or even Taka?

6601102300?profile=RESIZE_710x

Field shows his blinding acceleration. Meanwhile,Taka can play on the edges or halves as a great temporary link man. He's skillful and running hard at the moment.

6601345875?profile=RESIZE_710x

Ideally, the bench could do more than maintain momentum: provide energy and spark, change momentum in our favour, be game-changers, perhaps when the team needs it most. 

6603218857?profile=RESIZE_710x

It's been a while since we had a sparkly no.14 out in the middle the likes of a PJ Marsh or Brad Drew: skillful support player with zip and speed,  busting the middle. Stone isn't in that mould. Reed isn't there with his running game either, yet, but he's a key cog, that we need for as long as possible on the field.

But, I wonder whether Field could provide some extra zip, off the bench, to break open a game with his speed, support play and developing skills. However, it's difficult to see Field playing in the middle or at dummy half relief permanently. So, it makes me question: where he would he fit into the equation, other than injury cover? It would mean a reshuffle to fit him in. He's also unproven. But, maybe he's worth persevering with?

There's an old mantra: select your best 17 then work out the positions later.

So, who is the best player between the three of them? Stone doesn't possess the skills of Field and Taka. But without Stone, do we lose too much energy in the middle when our starters are off? And do we really need Field or Taka in the 17?

Perhaps, our final bench will rotate dependant on our opposition and injuries? Perhaps there's a better bench I haven't thought of? What are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen? How can we get the most juice from the bench?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• If the Broncos are smart they would swoop on him right now. But we know they're not.

• Know they're not smart or not swooping ? ... :)

• If everyone is fit, Kane Evans is automatic now, so is Marata Niukore, Oregon Kaufusi has moved past Daniel Alvaro. I think we are still figuring out where best to fit Ray Stone, he may be a week by week proposition until BA does.

The rest are as needed.

As for the last spot, I still value what Taka brings to the table, but there may be room to consider Jai Field. I would really like to see what he can do out of dummy half with that speed & footwork against tiring forwards.

• Jai Field isnt conditioned enough to play first grade he will break easy and should spend the year devleping his body. Anyone who thinks Jai is first grade yet is a bloody dope.

Bench:

Marata

Evans

Stone

Kaufusi

• I tend to agree that Field isn't ready for the rigours of first grade week in week out just yet. I was pleasanty surprised by his performance on Friday night but one swallow doesn't make a summer.

I'd be pleased to see Moses given the time he needs to fully recover before developing Field into a back-up dummy half.

• I agree, the only question for me is when do we play Stone versus when do we play Takas. Does it depend on the opponent?

I think we def need to give game time where possible to the guys under the top 17 given there's no reserve grade 

• 14 = Taka !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15 = Kaufusi

16 = Evans !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

17 = ???????????????????????? Stone???????? possibilty for his big hits and hard runs if he can get his act together. I said elsewhere he could be another Kenny Edwards, tons of potential with little to no discipline. Field is definitely on the radar as an option - but as you say, in what position, he is definitely NOT a middle player or DH in defence, but could be the X thingy in attack late in the half.

Someone posted in another blog about the use of Gower and Alvaro to keep them fit for replacement duties due to no Reggies playing. This must also come into the equation as well.

Coaches nightmare imo.

[Edit]  I forgot about N Brown coming back to dislodge Nuikore - he is a MUST on the bench. 

I need a panadol thinking about this

Taka, Nuikore,Kaufusi, Evans

• Bench rotation I'm not worried about.

I think if anything has shown we have enough diversity across the roster to mix and match our starting line up and bench dependent on opponent.

Kaufusi and Ray Stone for me are the 2 who as bench players are putting there hand up every week.

BA has good problems to have by having a roster that's playing pretty consistent footy.

I still believe this team hasn't put 80 minutes of footy together as yet and there still winning.

• My bench automatically rotates to follow the sun - excellent in winter.

Agree on your 80 minutes comment.

• I think it's difficult to definitively lock in one of those three over the other two. I would rotate them at 14 until the end of the season to work out what the bring as impact players. It maybe that we prefer them all against different teams/ defences. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Players take unders to stay at Penrith."
22 minutes ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I am not sure, surely the club have plans for Talagi if they get Lomax, the club adore Talagi as a talent. Could he be a 14? Could he be in line to be replace Brown if he declines his options? Could he be Gutho's replacement?
He doesn't turn 20 til…"
22 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Milky you have been known to sign anything, even I have your autograph!
I am thinking of selling it to Chiefy because  he buys anything! ..............I once had Wiz's autograph but sold it to Brown and Moses, after they got their first 1 million…"
40 minutes ago
Nitram replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I hope we don't sign him. I don't see what the fuss is about this bloke. Seems overrated to me.
But I said the same thing the Moses in 2017 signing so...."
1 hour ago
More…