6601149664?profile=RESIZE_710x

A  chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

As good as we played against the Cowboys, we softened up towards the end of the first half once our bench guys came on. When our starters Nuikore, Junior, RCG went off, we lost our dominance in the midde. Subsequently, the Cowboys made easy ground and started busting us through the middle and them scored on our fabled right edge. The often reliable but match-unfit Gower was the most obvious sinner, as he was dropping balls and letting players whiz past him needing Gutho to push him into the defensive line when we were on the goal-line defending, weakening the line, just before the Cows scored (though he improved greatly in the second half, perhaps after a rev up).

It didn't matter in this game, but it could when it gets to squeaky bum time.

It goes to show Arthur may need to be careful in the bigger games. Whether he keeps some starters on-field for longer hours, like big-motored Junior who's in career best form and not have all off at the same time; that's something for him to decide.

The good performances of Field, Kaufusi, Taka and even Stone make me wonder as to what might be the best composition of our best bench. Here's my initial thoughts on our best bench, pending injuries:

Lock-ins:

Brown/Nuikore (one in starting team). Nuikore has proven himself this year. Strong and agressive running and defending.

6601199869?profile=RESIZE_710x

Kaufusi. It's critical we keep developing him (even over Evans) and getting him working long-term with the entire engine room. The longer they play together the better.

Likey:

Evans, when he returns. We probably need another bopper to rotate RCG and Junior with.

One more spot: our best no.14?

6601606690?profile=RESIZE_710x

Stone, is a goer (despite last week's horror show) and probably the frontrunner, but I wonder whether Field hasn't made a case, or even Taka?

6601102300?profile=RESIZE_710x

Field shows his blinding acceleration. Meanwhile,Taka can play on the edges or halves as a great temporary link man. He's skillful and running hard at the moment.

6601345875?profile=RESIZE_710x

Ideally, the bench could do more than maintain momentum: provide energy and spark, change momentum in our favour, be game-changers, perhaps when the team needs it most. 

6603218857?profile=RESIZE_710x

It's been a while since we had a sparkly no.14 out in the middle the likes of a PJ Marsh or Brad Drew: skillful support player with zip and speed,  busting the middle. Stone isn't in that mould. Reed isn't there with his running game either, yet, but he's a key cog, that we need for as long as possible on the field.

But, I wonder whether Field could provide some extra zip, off the bench, to break open a game with his speed, support play and developing skills. However, it's difficult to see Field playing in the middle or at dummy half relief permanently. So, it makes me question: where he would he fit into the equation, other than injury cover? It would mean a reshuffle to fit him in. He's also unproven. But, maybe he's worth persevering with?

There's an old mantra: select your best 17 then work out the positions later.

So, who is the best player between the three of them? Stone doesn't possess the skills of Field and Taka. But without Stone, do we lose too much energy in the middle when our starters are off? And do we really need Field or Taka in the 17?

Perhaps, our final bench will rotate dependant on our opposition and injuries? Perhaps there's a better bench I haven't thought of? What are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen? How can we get the most juice from the bench?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• As I was saying 

• For me the team looked a different (better) beast when Nathan Brown was on the paddock, so with a fit roster I see the first three on the bench as Evans, Niukore and Kaufusi. In practice you could see the forth spot rotated between others but primarily Taka, Stone and Field. My biggest concern is when injuries strike, like what we are facing now, that extra player or two that comes onto the bench is not match fit. Gower looked gassed the other night after 5 minutes. It led to a try but didn't affect the outcome, but against a quality team in a tight match something like that 5 minutes could be the difference between winning and losing. With no second tier comp running at the moment I'm not sure how you solve that problem.

• That's going to be the challenge for everyone this year, how do you cope without 2nd tier footy ?

It's why this years title is more open than ever before, because one or two injuries to key players at the wrong time can you really sink you, even moreso than usual.

I still believe the Roosters are extremely vulnerable after the injuries to Sam Verrills & Victor Radley. If Jake Friend gets injured, and that's always a possibility with him these days, who do they play at dummy half ?

• Maybe another way to look at the bench is to ask if the Bench continues what the starting roster does or has the old X factor p,Ayer who comes on to add something different?

Field would be an X Factor.

But when you look at our stats, the Eels are the offload kings with everyone but RCG in the top offloader category, while only Waqa and MM (along with every other half) feature in the top missed tackle count. Our defence is good, and we already play to promote second phase play, so does that suggest the #14 is going to remain a "coverage" player, like Taka?

• According to Phil Rothfield for what its worth.......The queue is already forming for unwanted Warriors playmaker Blake Green, who played a blinder against the Broncos. There’s a sneaky tip the Parramatta Eels are seriously keen, probably as a No.14 to cover for Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/john-bateman-breaks-sil...

• For this season? I'm not sure how we fit him into the Top 30. It'd probably mean releasing Salmon. Green would be an ideal backup. Tough, good defender, decent kicking game. He'd get the job done if called upon. Probably depends on if he wants to be a backup. That being said, he's the type of player Brisbane need, although they've thrown their lot in with Croft and Milford anyway.

• They are already having buyers remorse with Brodie Croft.

• This reply was deleted.
        • Agree chasing Alex Johnston 

• This reply was deleted.
            • Don't forget we also have Haze Dunster coming through.  He looks the good too!

• Cotric over Johnson? BA obviously likes his wingers to take the tough yards runs. Johnson is a good finisher but Cotric can cart the ball back?

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"Yeah I just can't seem to get into the words of a dude that was considered smart in very different times. It's like taking advice penned by Henry Ford and applying it to fixing a Tesla. Or Relationship instructions penned by Elvis. "
12 minutes ago
BEM replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"When BA gets it right with the bench and our prop rotation, our middle doesn't get that tired."
20 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Dragons have about 45 more Amones coming through who are talented. As long as they can keep Talatau(Dahl)  away from the club , they'll do very well.  For every Lomax, the Illawarra has 10 more just like him waiting for their shot. "
21 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"The reason that local juniors are important is you'll usually get a season or two with them on a pittance allowing you to heavily invest elsewhere and " front load " that season into a premiership tilt. 
if they're good young kids then you'd be…"
29 minutes ago
More…