6601149664?profile=RESIZE_710x

A  chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

As good as we played against the Cowboys, we softened up towards the end of the first half once our bench guys came on. When our starters Nuikore, Junior, RCG went off, we lost our dominance in the midde. Subsequently, the Cowboys made easy ground and started busting us through the middle and them scored on our fabled right edge. The often reliable but match-unfit Gower was the most obvious sinner, as he was dropping balls and letting players whiz past him needing Gutho to push him into the defensive line when we were on the goal-line defending, weakening the line, just before the Cows scored (though he improved greatly in the second half, perhaps after a rev up).

It didn't matter in this game, but it could when it gets to squeaky bum time.

It goes to show Arthur may need to be careful in the bigger games. Whether he keeps some starters on-field for longer hours, like big-motored Junior who's in career best form and not have all off at the same time; that's something for him to decide.

The good performances of Field, Kaufusi, Taka and even Stone make me wonder as to what might be the best composition of our best bench. Here's my initial thoughts on our best bench, pending injuries:

Lock-ins:

Brown/Nuikore (one in starting team). Nuikore has proven himself this year. Strong and agressive running and defending.

6601199869?profile=RESIZE_710x

Kaufusi. It's critical we keep developing him (even over Evans) and getting him working long-term with the entire engine room. The longer they play together the better.

Likey:

Evans, when he returns. We probably need another bopper to rotate RCG and Junior with.

One more spot: our best no.14?

6601606690?profile=RESIZE_710x

Stone, is a goer (despite last week's horror show) and probably the frontrunner, but I wonder whether Field hasn't made a case, or even Taka?

6601102300?profile=RESIZE_710x

Field shows his blinding acceleration. Meanwhile,Taka can play on the edges or halves as a great temporary link man. He's skillful and running hard at the moment.

6601345875?profile=RESIZE_710x

Ideally, the bench could do more than maintain momentum: provide energy and spark, change momentum in our favour, be game-changers, perhaps when the team needs it most. 

6603218857?profile=RESIZE_710x

It's been a while since we had a sparkly no.14 out in the middle the likes of a PJ Marsh or Brad Drew: skillful support player with zip and speed,  busting the middle. Stone isn't in that mould. Reed isn't there with his running game either, yet, but he's a key cog, that we need for as long as possible on the field.

But, I wonder whether Field could provide some extra zip, off the bench, to break open a game with his speed, support play and developing skills. However, it's difficult to see Field playing in the middle or at dummy half relief permanently. So, it makes me question: where he would he fit into the equation, other than injury cover? It would mean a reshuffle to fit him in. He's also unproven. But, maybe he's worth persevering with?

There's an old mantra: select your best 17 then work out the positions later.

So, who is the best player between the three of them? Stone doesn't possess the skills of Field and Taka. But without Stone, do we lose too much energy in the middle when our starters are off? And do we really need Field or Taka in the 17?

Perhaps, our final bench will rotate dependant on our opposition and injuries? Perhaps there's a better bench I haven't thought of? What are your thoughts ladies and gentlemen? How can we get the most juice from the bench?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The reason I say that about Field ismore to do with the fact that he has developed as a half and is still learning that trade. The heavy toll of hooker could be too much at this stage of his career. If we have the luxury of using him sparingly it might work...

• This reply was deleted.
      • I'm not sure about him as a half, I see the same kind of potential evolution in him that we saw in Craig Wing.

• I'm not so sure Longfin. Evans, Niukore and Kafufusi should be certainties when fit and given our top 13 are fit. 

That leaves Takka, Field or Stone...for mine it depends on the opposition. All have strengths and something to improve upon. I love what Stone has been showing but think if we groom Field as a late replacement for Reed he could break a  game open and provides great cover for Injuries in the backline. Add Takka to the mix and the depth looks very promising. 

• I don't think you necessarily have to take Reed Mahoney off if Field comes on late in games, we've seen the Dragons play Hunt at DH but leaving Cam McInnes on as a running middle and it's actually worked pretty well for them in recent weeks.

• Bench is Evans, Nuikore and Kafusi

14 is Stone during regular games and Takairangi for do or die finals.

Takarangi is a safer option in case of disaster. But disaster is rare and Stone would normally be more useful.

• I'd like to see Jai Field a bit more. I already know he has speed, good pass, and better then average boot.

I want to see how he handles defence, and the toughness of the game. Noticed he got up a bit gingerey couple of time after being tackled.

If he can handle the rigours and toughness of the game i would go with him, he can cover the back line and the nine. He has a x factor about him.

• Injuries and suspensions usually means player positions take care of themselves. However at full strength the bench is Evans, Niakore and Kaufusi. Between Taka, Stone and Field I'm going Taka for his versatility. 

• Great blog HoE :)

Our biggest problem is that, when everyone is fit, we have more than 4 quality players to put on the bench. We actually have quality depth which is a rare luxury in today's game. The way Parra have built this team is quite incredible.

I'm thinking on average a team runs out with one to two injuries to their top 13 on a weekly basis so this will solve quandaries in itself for BA. It's a marvelous situation to be in though.

For mine Nuikore is a lock for the bench, and so is a fit Kane Evans (bulk and agression replaces bulk and agression), next up would be Kaufusi and Taka provides utility value across every backline possie and 3 forward positions - and he's another big body. Having said that, Jai and Stone are more than worthy of bench spots.

When everyone's fit I reckon BA will be taking a "horses for courses" approach to the bench as well as ensuring some level of match fitness is retained for the bench brigade. And, if Jai excels over the next few weeks, he could lock in a regular bench spot as a quick annoying bugger when the game opens up.

The beauty of it is that we look to have achieved the holy grail - quality depth.

• This reply was deleted.
      • Quality depth is depth that can get a job done, not a like for like replacement for a starting (top 17) player.

You can't have depth players that are up to the level of your starting 17 if your starting 17 are a quality squad. It's not a realistic goal. If your depth players are as good as your starters in every way you probably have a pretty average squad.

Your "depth" should be a mixture of experienced campaigners and talented yet inexperienced up and comers. We cover both.

I agree that Alvaro and Gower aren't first choice depth players but it's unlikely they would make the bench when we have everyone, or close to everyone, on deck.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Magpie replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"The way Manly move the ball from touchline to touchline and the way our edges defend I'm almost fearful to watch."
31 seconds ago
Coryn Hughes replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"This is it LB if your in the camp of wanting the coach gone keep hoping we take a pounding as that's the quickest out.The guys above BAs pay grade need to see it for themselves and since there numbers men getting pounded like we could do should…"
7 minutes ago
Cʜɪᴇғ - replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"I like them, doesn't mean I have to agree with everything they say clown boy. 
 "
10 minutes ago
Poppa replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"Love....LB it is a many splendered thing.
Let me tell you it doesn't always work out like in the fairy tales.....doesn't matter how they try their guts out., if Saab or Turbo get into the clear, throw a couple of others into boot and doesn't matter…"
14 minutes ago
More…