Josh Hodgson linked with stunning one year deal

So apparently Hodgson is being courted by Newcastle to replace Brailey for 2022, which makes sense, though if it is true if i was Parramatta i would only allow him to play for us in 2022 if not Canberra, ideally i would rather him start rd 1 than Mahoney (petty i know but he made his choice and he can go) but if Canberra would be willing to release him in 2022 i would be grabbing him now and start as quickly as possible with him having an input in our future hookers and developing them, having him for 2022 would give us 2 good years with him with 24' expected to be a decline in performance. I would not want Hodgson going to Newcastle and getting hurt, yes he can get hurt playing for Canberra but he is contracted with them and has been for years, rather him get hurt for a team he is still contracted too then on a loan with another team who only want him for that set time.

Hodgson was set to leave for 2022 before Tom Starling decided to be an idiot and get charged by police but Canberra currently have the issue of wanting to start Starling to keep him happy as he is there future but not wanting to have 800k of their cap on the bench playing roughly 25-30mins or less a game, would not be surprised if that is an ultimatum set by Starling when discussing an extension in wanting to start for 2022. Now he has this charge over his head who knows when it is resolved meaning Hodgson is valuable to Canberra until Starling is cleared, if he is not and is stood down then Hodgson is their hooker for 2022.

Now if Newcastle wanted this deal done, Canberra obviously have final say due to him still having a contract in place, regardless of future he is a Canberra player until minimum after the GF of 2022, so if we mentioned we do not want him going to Newcastle, Canberra obviously will overrule and allow him to go if they want to. Thought this all hinges on Starling, is he going to be allowed to play round 1? will there be a cloud over his head for most of 2022 of possible stand down? 

Then comes the other part, if Hodgson is allowed to leave early, do we take him early? and if we do will Canterbury take Mahoney early? I think Canterbury would love to take Mahoney early though the issue might be can they fit him in the cap? possibly not but his current salary is half of what he is getting with Canterbury from 2023 anyway so perhaps they could fit him in. Yes give Bulldogs Mahoney battered and bruised as a "here you go enjoy" from us and that is why people say keep him in spite, but Canberra (or this case Newcastle) could do the same to someone much more older and fragile and we could be screwed ourselves. Yes if Starling is stood down, that leaves Hodgson as the only logical 9 at the club so you would not want to run him into the ground for seasons sake, or they could as it doesnt affect their future, if they're nearly out of finals contention by mid year they may screw it let's try and go for a last ditch effort and leave Hodgson on for full 80mins stints week in week out that is plausible and will be surprising if Hodgson comes out unscaved.

Ideally i would rather get Hodgson in ASAP and with Rein and perhaps Hands and in 2023 Matt Arthur (it's inevitable, just have to accept it and hope for the best) we can look after Hodgson and preserve him to get the most out of his 2023/24 seasons rather then get him battered and bruised have him play some of 2023 and retire for 24' and have Hands and Arthur thrown to the fire. Granted Hodgson could very well be in line with the club if he is retired by 2024 to help Hands and Arthur but it is even better having them eased in for 2 years under him then in 2025 take over as a starting 9, more so for Matt Arthur being so young it will be better for him to be a 14 in 2024 under Hodgson then take the reigns in 2025.

But what does everyone else think? Let him go to Newcastle and see if he performs? do we want him ASAP at our club or are we content on Mahoney for the year and run the risk Hodgson is ran into the ground from Canberra?

https://www.seriousaboutrl.com/josh-hodgson-linked-with-stunning-one-year-deal-47790/

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BEM if someone asked me what would i prefer, i would say re-sign Mahoney any day of the week, 10/10 times. But it is not what has happened and have to live with it, why not try and get one more year out of Hodgson instead of 2023 decent and decline in 2024 (who knows could be both 23 & 24 decline or both years be really good) we know this is not ideal what we want but it is what it is let's hope it works out.

I think it will and Hodgson will have a role at the Eels moving forward, he wants to live in Sydney and has a wonderful footy brain and is a leader, he will assist us in some way.

• I tend to think that the end of this season will prove to be the end of the window.

I think we will do well again this year but once again fall short whilst extending BA for another year......we love an early semis exit and we love extending a bloke with NFI.

• It's BA last contract tank, but then again I said that last time 

• People said Ennis was washed up too. He couldn't even get a minimum wage offer from Canterbury, and when some of us said we should sign him to replace Kaysa bloody Pritchard people laughed at the idea. Ennis proved to be the difference in Cronullas team. Don't discount experience.  Young guys can be very much motivated simply by the respect an older guy can demand.  We have many guys in our squad desperate for what an older experienced proven player can bring. Hodgson and Rein can do wonders for our team. I still wouldn't let Reed go , but I'd 1000% support us getting Hodgson and keeping Reed as a backup if the cap can be manipulated to make it happen. 

It's been blatantly obvious to me that come seasons end , we've seriously lacked on feild leadership from wiser footy brains. Hodgson is playing under the biggest fuckwit coach the games ever seen and a fresh start is exactly what he needs. His only risk is injury , not talent.  We go into the season with Rein , JH and Reed as Hooker depth and we are red hot. 

• 10026098475?profile=RESIZE_400x

• 👍

• Totally agree. Dummy half is a game where match experience is so important. People like to equate quarterbacks in NFL to halfbacks in league but really they should be equated with dummy halfs. They get their hands on the footy straight out of the ruck and they need to then quickly analyse the defensive line and decide which way the footy should go. 

• I think is our best chance since the renaissance started for us to win a comp.....no team stands out and if injuries are kind to us we have an excellent chance, last years side is a lot more experienced and our backline more balanced with speed, anyone leaving at the end of this year (given the clubs they are going to) would realise if they want to win a premiership, this will also be the best opportunity they will have for a while,

Not sure about the Reed / Hodgson discussion....I don't seem to have the emotion about Reed but must admit I found it strange he would go to the dogs when the Dolphin's offered so much more in proximity and lifestyle.

If an offer opens up for Reed elsewhere and it is neutral to the cap and other opportunities, so be it.

I do find though that the pre season preparation would/could be thrown into array if we have no certainty about the 9. 

I look forward to this year and I am surprised at the negative emotion surrounding it, especially with the inclusion of Ennis, Mary and Woody as consultants. I believe the deliberacy of that move was made by the executive to consolidate BA as an even longer term coach.....with BA becoming more of a team manager than a hands on coach. ie stress team as against O'Neill who is a football manager for the whole club, including the numbers and affordability. I'm sure BA only looks over shoulders in those respects and argues for preferences, not prices.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

LB replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"The thing about this game that is curious and worrying to me is are Wests the real deal or was last week just a mood. I tipped Wests to beat Cronulla last week for a few reasons. 1) Was not convinced on Cronulla's past 2 performances where they were…"
6 minutes ago
BEM replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Sivo is back this round.
Lomax doesn't want to play wing at the Dragons so I doubt he would come here to play the same position.
He would replace Harper.
1. Gutho
2. Sivo
3. Lomax
4. Penisini 
5. Russell 
That would be the best backline we have had…"
7 minutes ago
Bup replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Lomax is nearly the perfect player Parra need to aquire.
The story's about his attitude and immaturity are prevalent and he's in a environment he doesn't want to be in .
The value here is you can get yourself a footballer for under market value due…"
22 minutes ago
Prof. Daz’s discussion was featured
Sigmund Freud once said that “one day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful”. With the Eels on-field general and kicking maestro, Mitchell Moses, out for up to 8 weeks with a fractured foot, the Eels will need…
45 minutes ago
More…