It's Not My Job To Motivate Them

Last night BA in his post match presser stated that it wasn't his job to motivate the players. I found that very interesting and it got me wondering. Is it the coaches job to motivate players, if not then whose job is it. Perhaps it's a partnership of both. I find it strange considering Football and being able to turn up and do the 1%ers is a mental thing surely motivation must be a huge factor. Perhaps this is why we don't turn up so many times, the Jeckle and Hyde Eels that we have been witnessing this year. I'm beginning to think BA may be missing a huge part of what makes a football team click and in turn not putting process's, leaders, trainers in place to address motivation. Team motivation rests with the boss in a team environment at work so why not a football team. 

This isn't BA bashing, but I for one was confused by that statement, and at times it appears we play with no motivation, What are others thoughts on it. 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think it is the coach to motivate hes team then when they go out they have to deliver or get drop or the coach get sack 

• Nope, it isn't his job to motivate them. It's his job to put them in a position to win, but if they are unmotivated within, you can't force someone to be motivated. If you listened to the recording properly, you would've noticed part of the answer was also in reference to the part time/full-time comment. Also, he mentioned it on Triple M today, they have to turn up for each other, they have to want to play. 

• He was talking about individuals. It’s his job to motivate the playing group as a whole, but it is not his job to go around to every single player individually & motivate them. 

• The word motivation is derived from the motion, ie: what is the reason you do something. 

Motivation, indivually or collectively has to come from the player or group of players themselves. From all reports BA is highly motivated, so clearly he is not the problem in this issue.

The players have to ask themselves why they are doing this. 

• A team leader or a boss or coach I would have thought that motivating your team or working out what motivates a team member was Managing 101. I see it that if you work out what motivates someone then the team leader, coach ensures that that is available, weather it be money, prestige, guilt, team peer pressure, enjoyment, pride, accolades, surroundings , environment, threats of being dropped, humiliated , leadership, etc etc what ever motivates someone, I would as a coach ensure that1. I understood what motivates the individual, 2. Play on that to ensure I get a maximum response. 

They say the game is 80% mental, so wouldn't motivating them mentally be a benefit. The way I see our team play at times looks exactly like their not motivated enough.

surely it is the coaches responsibly  to provide motivation and also motivate individuals when they falter/ fail or don't meet expectations ie playing badly or have a bad attitude.

I really think BA may be missing that attribute of a great coach, if I'm hearing his comments correctly. Perhaps I am misinterpreting him. ?

• The problem is that external motivation has a limited shelf life. Sustained motivation has to come internally. 

• I really like your comments and agree with them as someone who has been a manager of varied capabilities and age ranges . Brett , I also agree an element of motivation has to be intrinsic , and it’s the ultimate goal to be someone who is intrinsically motivated . I’m one of those type a personalities who always wanted and got the high distinctions at uni , wanted to be the best teacher and leader in a team etc etc 

but 

I have learnt sooooo many ppl do not have this in them . They need external motivators , and when I work with younger employees in their 20s the lack of “ pride” for a job well done is ominous 

so maybe these days it’s even more important for a coach to be a motivator imo 

• Its 100% his job to motivate them. The great coaches are not just tacticians they are man managers too

• Haha motivation isn’t a coaches job?

Some people will say anything to defend BA....

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Yep winger or fullback"
2 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"For sure, as mentioned, 800k & there's no way the Eels will look at him. 600-650k, is possibly a different story. As you mentioned with salary cap, those centres might've been 600k but that was decent coin also.
100% agree though that it all depends…"
14 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I didn't say classy, I said expensive 
2020 I don't believe Chambers was at the Storm, Olam was on his first cheap contract out of the Qcup and Brenko Lee was also cheap 
Latrell and Manu weren't on huge money, not back then. They were still on…"
24 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I think we need to find a winger not a centre. I just don't see how signing Lomax helps with our long term planning of the club. If Talagi does well at 5/8 we will want him to play centre when Moses is back or at a minimum play him at 14. However by…"
26 minutes ago
More…