It’s not gonna be easy !!

With Mahoney , gutho, papa, niukore , RCG off contract next year, its gonna be hard to retain them all. I love every one of these players but who do we not resign . (not doing every off contract player)

1.Papa - He is only on a 150k deal until the end of 2022. He will likely be offered at least 500k from another club. Do we offer him 400k or less and hopefully he takes a pay cut to remain at Parra or do we go all out and try and offer him as much as he wants (Realistically) to keep him. I can tell you , he is worth a ton more than 150k. Do remember, he did take a 300k pay cut to rebuild his career and no doubt that was a huge success . I Wouldn't be surprised if he decides to be loyal to the club that gave him his second chance . Please stay 🙏 

2. Mahoney - He is only only on a cheapish salary but once at the end of 2022, he will be offered anywhere 600k - 900k from the 3 Queensland clubs in Bronx, Titans, dolphins. He is a gun and I believe he is the key for our future . Parra please resign Mahoney ASAP

3.The king 👑 - On around 650 -700k a year and reports he wants more -(Hopefully they are false), Is gutho the hardest one to retain ? I love the king but is he worth more than 800k ? I'm going to leave this one to the fans and the club. I would offer him no more than 750k. There is a chance that the dolphins might offer him a contract . Hopefully he is willing to be loyal rather than a bigger pay check . 🙏🙏

4. Niukore - He is very important for our future but reports that the Warriors are very keen on luring him to the club. I believe he might just slip away unless if we don't resign Matterson . It's either Marata or Matterson (both would be nice, but we do have a salary unfortunately ). I believe we should resign niukore as he is a talented footballer who has so much potential. It's gonna be a fight 

5. RCG - I do believe this one is going down hill. Reagan's management has said that he is certain that he will be off to south east Queensland to sign to play for the dolphins and will most likely not open his contract talks to remain at Parra past 2022. I'm filthy on this one because he his leaving his club to be the face of a new franchise . Good on him I suppose. Hopefully Parra can sway his decision to reconsider a talk to resign with Parra but unfortunately I do believe rcg is a goner.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You've laid out the argument perfectly there. It seems that Ayoub believes he has the Eels over a barrel. I think the frustration for the Gutho / Ayoub camp is they don't have anywhere near the leverage that they believe they do. I'm not sure who's going to be doing the negotiating but I'd predict Gutho will get an offer pretty similar to the last offer he got. Maybe even slightly less. He'll kick up a huge fuss (just like last time), likely drag out negotiations. He may want to hope another young speedster doesn't hit the market in the meantime. 

• I said last night that given the Dolphins thing wasn't reallly a thing when Gutherson threw his offer back at us, he may find it backfires unbelievably on him now.  The more time that passes that we don't hear about his re-signing the more I'd be getting a little nervous if I'm him. 

• Wiz pretty fair call, also what Mutts & Meelk has said in his list.

If one looks at the list of our players who are off contract end of next season a good percentage of them are getting older, in the above 28 at the end of the year, 2 year contract extensions I can actually understand especially as the aspect of injuries, and the slowing down of some of them without the same impact owing to their "damaging" runnering and defence, without naming them as most here would know who they are, will be flat out seeing out more than 2 more years.

The younger ones could get 3 years, with options in order to spread the contract money across the players in order to try and prevent a repeat of what the club faces end of next year.  There is a big balancing act for players and club in regards to what they can spend, and to who should be staying.

Over the last two seasons which were disrupted ones, IIRC the NRL lowered the amount of money for each club in an agreement with the players association whilst this was not a huge amount, if and when that is reversed it may help clubs in their abilities to retain their key players. Just a guess though. 

• I reckon your call on guth is a good one mutt, he may not get many more offers and stay by default.

Gut tells me theres some friction there with him and BA and management atm

• papa - keep

Mahoney- get rid of

The king - fuck him off

Nikure  - keep 

RCG ,-  keep 

• I honestly don't understand your view on Mahoney. He's one of the best Hookers in the game now. If we get rid of Mahoney who plays 9?

• I think he's massively overrated also. He's a better than average hooker, I have no issues if we re-sign him. He does the job. 

The issue lies with the hype for me and the price tag that comes with it. We got as good a service from a no frills Hooker taking a working holiday from the UK.   He'd maybe scrape into the top 5 hookers in the game and we are heading down the path of making him the highest paid if this continues. 

• I understand that concern. I'm not sure we're prepared to make him the highest paid hooker in the game though. This is a player's market right now. Lot's of available spots, limited quality spine players. Their agents are going to ask crazy money and the media are going to fuel the fire. 

As I've said, I think the only risk with losing Mahoney is if Bennett takes a personal interest and goes all out for him. A big overs offer, plus Bennett, plus returning home may be too much to turn down. But the Dolphins will need to get turned down by Grant or Brandon Smith first. At the end of the day no side is going to wreck their cap for Mahoney.

• The thing the Dolphins can quite easily pay him more than we can whilst paying him less than we have to.  They will have all kinds of corporate support. In the current climate his price is going to be blown out and we simply don't have the TPAs to utilise that they'll have. 

How I see this Dolphins thing unfolding as an example , theyll be offering players 900K with 100K of it in TPAs and 800k on the cap wheras we will be offering players 800K with 800k of it on the cap.  It's when we up our offer to 900k on the cap  to match it where we get in strife.  When you get into this scenario I think it needs to be a better player than Mahoney to do so.  Yes this is just maybes and possibles , but it's very very real. 

My biggest concern is that players are waiting to get their Dolphins offer , this tells me we are in for these Dutch auctions next month. I would like to hear a few stories about us pursuing other options for their positions. Maybe even sign a big name for 2023 just to send a message. 

• Yep and the good old NRL will do what it takes in order to ensure the Dolphins survive and we all know what that means!

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to LB's discussion Brad to Bennett: Why Friday's clash might be the tipping point for Arthur and the Eels.
"EA seems to be at the forefront of the juniors and pathways on here.
It definitely feels like the end of the road I mean how many tiimes can a coach call his roster soft.Our roster has been built in the coaches vision and how he wants to play.He…"
4 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Brad to Bennett: Why Friday's clash might be the tipping point for Arthur and the Eels.
"I agree HKF. Cause going into 2025, you need to sack him or extend him. It is not good to have a coach off contract going into a year, especially with so many players off-contract. They would want to know who the coach will be before signing. Issue…"
9 minutes ago
The Badger replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"Tad 
Brad needs to live by the old ABC - Attitude Behaviours Consequences 
Attitude is the result of the behaviours you display and the consequences for those behaviours.
There must be consequences for poor behaviours (eg - not completing tackles,…"
14 minutes ago
LB replied to LB's discussion Brad to Bennett: Why Friday's clash might be the tipping point for Arthur and the Eels.
"Well said Bup. Had someone comment to me that no point blaming the coach when they forget how to tackle. I replied so it is all the players? He said they should know this. Right so if they should know it, why have a coach? Save money and let them do…"
16 minutes ago
More…