1Eyed Eel

Parramatta Eels Supporters Website

An alarming heatwave in the sunless winter Arctic is causing blizzards in Europe and forcing scientists to reconsider even their most pessimistic forecasts of climate change.

Although it could yet prove to be a freak event, the primary concern is that global warming is eroding the polar vortex, the powerful winds that once insulated the frozen north.

The north pole gets no sunlight until March, but an influx of warm air has pushed temperatures in Siberia up by as much as 35C above historical averages this month. Greenland has already experienced 61 hours above freezing in 2018 - more than three times as many hours as in any previous year.

Seasoned observers have described what is happening as “crazy,” “weird,” and “simply shocking”.

Views: 2608

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My head hurts trying to understand this, If we suffered a catastrophic weather event 250 million years ago then logic tells me it can happen again, I'm assuming man was not to blame, if anything our biggest problem is over population

If anyone believes in global warming they are as Fong days “a dope”.
Oh and tell Santa Clause I still didn’t get my cricket bat.

Damn right! Those 97% of the scientific community  are so dumb its a wonder they got past kindergarten.

Its those 3% that have sold out to fossil fuel that are the real genius and will set us all straight!

Far more scientists benefit from the climate change industry. Probably about 97% of them.

Three percent is a massive level of uncertainty. If the science was settled it would be 100% consensus.

It would be settled if it wasn't politicised. Im surprised they have only managed to buy 3%.

What if the 97% are right? WTF do we do then?

Do you realise that there is also a massive risk in addressing climate change? At the moment the only thing that makes many people's lives bearable is transport technology and energy production. Without fossil fuels these things become prohibitively expensive. That leads to an increase in resource scarcity, which is the primary reason humans go to war. Forget the smug religion-causes-all-wars nonsense. Religion only matters when people are competing for resources, and even without religion they are willing to kill and oppress to make their families safer and more prosperous. The Soviets and Maoists proved that atheism doesn't prevent humans from engaging in violent conflict. They just choose new ideologies to separate 'us' from 'them'.

Pou their are billions of people around the world that will be wanting the type of energy we have had for over 100 years.These are the emerging economies  What will be the impact of that on the planet considering what issues we have to day with current levels of pollution and eventually limited supply of fossil fuels- The alternative is unlimited  clean low cost energy{once the technology is in place} not sure how any one argue against that scenario

As fossil fuels run out they will get more expensive Tad. Eventually they will be replaced. That's how things work. In the mean time, climate will continue to change, as it has always done. There will be winners (people living in the enormous stretch of land around the arctic circle) and losers (people living in crowded coastal cities and on tiny islands). It all comes out in the wash.

Poupou, I guess you just somehow missed all the wars and exploitation attached to the extraction of fossil fuel resources? Amazing how myopic you climate dopes are

That's because they are scarce resources for f**** sake. And you think making them more scarce will reduce conflict?

Pou you surprise me--you are a stats man----mate the fossil fuel industry has trillions of dollars invested in this industry--do you think they would be happy to dish out a few billion to defend their investment.. Its all about risk management . Younger generations need to step up and have a say---these are the guys who will pay to clean this all up. You have heard the old argument. If 97 to 99 % of doctors tell you to stop smoking---you will say thats not good enough I want 100% of them to say it 

Except 100% of doctors will tell you smoking is a health risk.

RSS

© 2018   Created by 1Eyed Eel.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service