He's still only 20, but gifted Parramatta five-eighth Dylan Brown now feels experienced enough to assume a more assertive attacking role in his third NRL season.

Brown, who has played 33 first-grade games, has quickly become a key cog for the Eels alongside halfback Mitchell Moses.

The pair have struck up a slick combination, but Brown told NRL.com they're continually working on achieving the perfect balance with his 26-year-old comrade naturally being "quite a dominant half".

And that means the younger playmaker showing increased confidence in picking the moments to inject himself into the action.

"Not so much overcalling, it's just knowing when to get involved. When the opportunity is there, I've got to take it," Brown said.

"It's more so just coming from within, like backing myself and understanding when I need the ball [and] the players outside me, understanding what they need and getting them the ball."

Eels halves coach Andrew Johns's involvement was restricted from outside the club's COVID bubble in 2020, but the eighth Immortal is back at close quarters at training, which is set to accelerate Brown's development.

The rising Kiwi star's body is in good order after an ankle injury caused him to miss four games before last year's finals, while a condensed pre-season hasn't been "as draining" as normal.

And Brown said the lower-back bruising which plagued him during his debut season in 2019, an issue more commonly reported in fast-bowling cricketers, was no longer troubling him.

"Quite a lot of the boys, most league boys have problems with their back. But the main problem – I had that injury in my first year [of NRL] – the seriousness of that is gone," he said.

"It's just managing [that]; it's just part of my everyday routine."

While paying no mind to "the same shit they always say" regarding pressure on Parramatta to win a title amid a 35-year drought, Brown pulled no punches about where they need to improve following another straight-sets playoffs exit.

"To be honest, we're still pretty disappointed … We had two chances there [in 2020] and we sort of crumbled," he said.

"It just came down to disciplinary things. There are lots of positives … but you don't want to go the whole year and finish [the way we did].

"We sort of did the same thing the year before; we got to the finals and put on a rubbish performance [losing in week two]. We're just going to have to stick in it this year and be ready for the back end."

Off the field, Brown is among the most popular players on social media, where he isn't shy in being his laidback self. He enjoys engaging with fans, even though the 24/7 access can be "full-on".

"Young people, that's our crowd. If it wasn't for them, we wouldn't have a job," he said.

"Interacting with them – it's good for them, they get a lot out of it, and it's good for us … I try to stay active on social media and show people what I get up to."

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think his comments were refreshing .... No toughest preseason ever and explained that they were still hurting ... nice

• Just prove it on the park you dope.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Snottie Pimpin posted a discussion
After sitting through that deplorable effort .... our clubs 2nd such effort in the first 7 weeks of the season you referred to the group as a 'part time team' , a team that 'looks for the soft option ' and doesn't compete on plays within the 80 mins…
2 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"It's pretty sad though, he has completely lost the dressing room. Or Moses is that valuable and inspiration able on the field we can't win without him. "
44 minutes ago
Jack replied to BEM's discussion Next Week's Team
"Eh doesn't matter now. I was always a BA supporter but his lost the room, I think all us fans need a change and it's time for one. Unless something dramatically changes in coming weeks a care taker needs to take over and sign another coach. I would…"
2 hours ago
EA replied to EA's discussion Name and Shame the players
"I just want bennet😂"
2 hours ago
More…