How do you feel about M Moses?

I know Moses cops it after a loss, all halbacks do.

However,  I get the impression most on this site quite like him as a player and want to re-sign him. That makes me think maybe I judge him too harshly. 

However, to be honest, I find him confronting. He is the only Eels player (in a key position) that I have ever disliked. I know he is heaps better than some of the bog players we have had over years; Keating, Roberts and Maguire to name a few. But I never really begrudged those guys because they were not as naturally gifted and didn't act like the team ought to revolve around them.

Moses, in my opinion, is the worst signing under BA. He is not a halfback. If Dylan Brown comes out of injury and continues on the same trajectory of his first 3 NRL games, then I'd be happy to sign Moses as a running 5/8, but only on the condition that he weens off the control over time and hands the keys to Brown. 

Moses is not too dissimilar to Sandow. Both are freak talents. When the team is going well, their instinctive attacking play is brilliant. However,  neither manage a game well, particularly when it is on the line or the forwards are getting beaten. 

The thing that irritates me most (and I have said it heaps on this site) is Moses lack of poise. He doesn't play with time. He often plays like there is only 30 seconds left on the clock and the team is down by 4. His passes are rushed and panicky, as is his kicking, and he doesn't seem to take the right option and/or really weigh up what the team needs of him.  

I can't see Parra ever winning a premiership whilst ever he is the dominant half.

I know he always tries hard and that is admirable. However,  I think this quality is off-set by his want to be in control and dominate the game when,  clearly (imo), he doesn't have the mind/ true confidence for it. 

How do you feel?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think we can win a premiership with Moses at 7, just like I also thought with Corey Norman. It's the players that are around him which is the problem. You can't just point a finger at Moses and blame him. He needs the right partner in crime to combine with him in the halves (Dylan Brown), and the outside backs/forwards need to do their job properly. I would like to see a little more forced drop outs by Moses though. I feel like he bombs way to much and needs to put pressure on the opposition more often. I feel it's something we've lacked as of late. 

• I'm not blaming Moses singlehandedly mate. However,  7 is arguably the most important position on the field and I don't think he has the mental fortitude to perform in it, at least not at this stage of his career. 

• You've never seen him play in a good side buddy. Yes, it's a very important position, but there are an additional 12 players on the field. If Moses has the right players around him, he'll go to the next level. So happy we've got a warchest, and a ton of off contract stars. Parra are going to get some slick signings.

• I know what you mean by him playing a panicky style of football. If he could somehow compose himself we would see a much better NRL player. Blokes don’t have fully myelinated neural pathways until they are 25 years old. This is when we are supposed to mature. Moses is getting pretty close to that, so if he doesn’t turn the corner in the next 12 months he won’t. 

I do do believe he has made some changes to his game this year and is trying to do so. This is in his defensive effort. He only had 1 miss and 1 ineffective on Thursday night despite a fair bit of traffic from Kikau. I understand that he was asked to stop blaming the team and start looking at himself in the off-season. Whilst both he and Corey Norman were shopped around a bit over 12 months ago, it was actually Mitchell who was hoped to go. This related to his propensity to have a go at others when the team was not doing well. As you can imagine, it doesn’t go down well with everyone when you act like that. 

• I always suspected it was Moses whom the club wound have been happier to lose. I suspect Corey attracted more outside interest and made the transfer more financially viable for the Club. 

• Corey is definitely the better half. He just needed the right player beside him in the halves at Parra. We had Foran, who had incredible chemistry with Corey. That didn't work out, and Mitch and Corey didn't work.

• The easiest way for us fan "experts" to critique a halfback's game management is to focus on what we can see. We don't know enough about his communication skills and team directions, these are hard for us mere fans to pick up on, but what we can see is his kick choices. This we can be critical of and from my experience on this site just about everyone agrees Moses is a proven failure on this area.

Can he get better with his game management? Maybe. I guess time will tell.

Is brown better at controlling a game? Who knows, maybe, but this is largely an unknown. 

Based on what we have available to us I think we have no choice but to persist with a brown/Moses combo with Moses as the dominant half I guess.

• Agree with most of what you say, except the last bit. No reason why Moses has to retain the dominant role. Brown can assume the position. 

• On his day he is a brillant runner of the football . He can really put it on when he gets into the zone. His defence has really improved IMO . But his attack is someone else stated “lacking poise ‘.

his faults : 

not the player to ice a game when needed . 

Doesn’t take the line in enough . 

Tends to drift across the field which crowds the outside runners . 

needs to mix up his kicking game not just mid field bombs with poor if no chasers.  

Who else is out there though at moment ....

• He does know how to manage the game and won’t for several years. Needs to accept being the side kick until he is more mature and wiser. If he can accept this he will be an awesome 5:8

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael W. replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Jett Cleary off to NZ
"Good on you for acknowledging you're an idiot, bro."
2 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"The old toilets stalkers . The guys that lurk around the toilets at training sessions waiting for players to need a piss , just so they can pretend to take a piss at the trough next to their idols. 
I bet they were horrified when they found out…"
18 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to BEM's discussion RIP TERRY HILL
"Wonder if it was " an accident " . She only got her start because her dad was a highly respected Freemason. "
29 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Jett Cleary off to NZ
"Who me , Brah?  . Nah Brah , I'm one of those idiots that doesn't get why he thinks he'll get more gametime down there than he would at Parramatta , brah .  
If he didn't poop his pants in the trials he'd already have been likely to have played most…"
35 minutes ago
More…