Replies

• As a side note , how would The Knights fans be feeling after all the bullshit they've endured with Ponga with that Lachlan Miller playing a blinder.  All that coin tied up in that sideshow and a 28 year old ex rugby exhibition match  , pub league RL player on a pie and a drink contract is proving a better investment. 

• Chance they will retire Ponga. Gamble going ok and Miller is a star. Have 1.2M to strengthen their forward pack.

• He and his old man have the hide of an elephant , wouid not shock me in the slightest to see him grab a medical retirement , get paid out and then take off to union or the ESL.  

• Spot on, I read that article re Ponga going to Canada for further assessment. He has been a horrendous signing. It appears to me the knights are building a case to have him medically retired asap

• Adam you are cynical. Lol .These tests could work either way meaning positive results could see KP able to play regularly subject to the new NRL CONCUSSION rules .

• The problem there is Wiz, you tend to identify them after the event....Miller played in your general area, why didn't you find him earlier.....bit more effort is required Wiz....your letting the side down.

• Welcome back the french

• I've always thought Dylbags would make a great fullback. Strong, fast runner with a great step. Gutho's a better play maker IMO and would fit like a glove at 5/8. We would lose defensively. Gutho's safe under the high ball and usually pulls of a couple try savers a game.

How he wrapped himself all over JFH whilst 1-on-1 and pulled him down was one of the season highlights. That saved us the game.

• 🤦🏻‍♂️

• Eels hold meeting with Gutherson, chase potential fullback option.

The Parramatta Eels have held a conversation with skipper Clint Gutherson to inform him they will hit the market for a potential fullback option for this season.

The Herald can reveal the Eels have been hitting the phones over the past week to find what they are describing as a “game-breaker” to join the club immediately.

Club powerbrokers have spoken to Gutherson to inform him of their pursuit. Gutherson has given the club his blessing to do what it takes to help the club go one better than last year’s grand final loss to Penrith.

The Eels declined to comment when contacted by the Herald on Sunday afternoon. The club did, though, deny that the potential recruit will force the skipper out of the No.1 jersey.

The club is adamant the recruitment target, which is still a work in progress, is being sought to provide the club with an X-factor option. That option could be a fullback who comes off the bench and shifts Gutherson around the backline at different stages of the contest.

Sources with knowledge of discussions speaking under the condition of anonymity due to the confidential nature of negotiations said the Eels have significant salary cap space to attract a player of quality this year.

The quality of that player will determine the impact it has on the make-up of the starting team. The Herald understands the position of Waqa Blake, who is off contract at the end of this season, is under a cloud.

Gutherson, who has played State of Origin for NSW in the centres, could provide the Eels with an option on the right side of the field in a roving role similar to that of the Sydney Roosters’ Joseph Manu.

At the end of 2021 Gutherson signed a contract extension with the Eels until the end of the 2025 season on a deal worth in excess of $850,000 per season.

The Eels started the year with three straight losses but managed to get their season back on track with a nail-biting one point victory against grand final nemesis Penrith in golden point on Thursday night.

While Roger Tuivasa-Sheck is contract to New Zealand Rugby for the rest of this year, he remains a free agent for next season.

The Herald has learned that Tuivasa-Sheck’s preference is to play Japanese rugby union if he doesn’t sign an extension with the NZR.

The Warriors have been told of Tuivasa-Sheck’s preference after indicating to their former skipper that they could accommodate his return to the club in 2024.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/eels-hold-meeting-with-gutherson-c...

NRL 2023: Parramatta Eels hold meeting with Clint Gutherson, chase potential fullback option
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Prof. Daz posted a discussion
Sigmund Freud once said that “one day, in retrospect, the years of struggle will strike you as the most beautiful”. With the Eels on-field general and kicking maestro, Mitchell Moses, out for up to 8 weeks with a fractured foot, the Eels will need…
3 minutes ago
Poppa replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Well Lomax will be a lot more expensive, Carty would have been on minimum for most of the time and probably only 350/400 now. Carty is not that marketable unless he sell himself attached to the coach LOL"
35 minutes ago
"Thanks Hoe, agree with what you said.
I tried to specifically generalise about player valuations and use Lomax as an example. To answer Sluggo who was taking the piss, I can accept the premise he is making but I personally had overlooked Waqa as an…"
39 minutes ago
"Well thought out and expressed Slippery.... you raise good points about circumstantial valuations."
52 minutes ago
More…