Game Day Blog - Sharks vs Eels

Well, this is a danger game for our Eels IMO. The Sharks are on a bit of a roll with 3 wins on the trot. The Eels also have won their past 3 games, but haven't exactly been convincing.

I thought our opponents in the Bulldogs last week, were probably given less respect than they deserved, most likely as they sit at the bottom of the ladder. They put in a massive effort and lost by only 2 points. However, after watching the Storm put 40 on them last night, I'm not so sure.

The Sharks see the return of Moylan, Ramien and Dugan and if I were Parra, I'd be throwing a few big boys at Moylan as I believe that he is the most vulnerable.

The match up for me is Johnson and Moses. Johnson has been in some very good form and actually earning his wage of late. Moses has been in good form all season and will need to be on top of his game today.

For me, If we are to win this game, we need to see our backs stand up, particularly our right edge. Waqa needs to improve in most areas of his game and BA would know this.

Also, our kick pressure and line speed in general must improve on the past few weeks. The most noticeable difference I've noticed in the Eels team from early season to recent weeks is a considerable drop in line speed. I am hoping like most Eels fans that this is the game that we put in close to a 80 minute effort and Dylan Brown grabs the game by it's horns.

This should be a cracker on a rainy and windy Sunday afternoon!

So, who wins and by what margin?

MOM?

GO YOU EELS!!!

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• All week to prepare for a wet weather game and they dished that up.

It goes to show you how much RCG and Paulo have papered over our cracks in recent weeks.they're are not as effective in those conditions and we struggled to win the middle we offered little.

• So true.

Every week we keep hearing the same shit that the team is in a mid season form slump. I don't think so. This is the Eels playing our best. It's good enough to get the two versus poor teams but it certainly won't be enough against the better teams.

• Seriously anyone who wants to talk form about this game. Take a good look at yourself. 
    That was as diabolical conditions as you'll ever see. There's no form line here. We hung tough and got the two points. Be grateful and move on. I'm ecstatic about the result. That's as tough as it gets to earn the points. 

• Everyone should have known their job tonight.

forwards should have been locking the ball up every hit up , dummy half running should have been at a premium, you take 3/4 hitups and kick ,play the game down their end.

Wait for a mistake from the oppposition which there'll be plenty and attack with shape with subtle changes of direction with attacking kicks along the ground.

Maintain your linespeed and strangle your opposition. Playing in the wet is simple and tedious,but you have to remain on task and you'll be rewarded.

Short ball crash plays and offloads get put away and you refrain from going anywhere near a sideline. You have to go through the opposition not around.

Lockyer, Lewis and Cronk were masters at playing in the wet and they perfected the game plan to suit, we were miles off said game plan.

We once again failed to adjust to conditions or adjust on the run. They did rein it in the last ten minutes which was commendable but the rest lacked control and direction.

• How were we miles off? 
        That wasn't wet weather football. That's was Noah's Ark stuff. You can't judge that. That was ridiculous. 

• I agree Mutt. That ground wasn't up to standard. It was more than wet weather football

• This reply was deleted.
    • Insane conditions 

insane drainage 

different playing field how much practice do they get in THESE conditions 

• I have to say that its been a damm long time since I have watched a game of RL in anywhere near those conditions played at Kogarah today, Guthos post match interview said he was freezing as its gotten colder out there and his legs were shaking, I would believe that.

What did not help either team was the layers of water that sat on the field also the line markings were redone at half time but after the paint pale left & 5 minutes of play almost impossible to see the line markings.

As for team negatives, both teams had them but gee, I am tired of seeing Sivo's ultra poor read of the game and he is worse than the other side of the eels team with his leaving his side open.  He's in his second season here and time he was put back in grade to learn defence and positioning. Fergo needs to have a refresh also.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"You really think BA is that clever?"
3 minutes ago
Zip zip replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"Kid needs more strength and conditioning. Also learn to tackle better.  I do question his natural speed though. He's a couple years off 1st grade IMO. Having said that, if BA is to use him at fullback, Gutho makes a good hooker. Gutho's darts from…"
11 minutes ago
The Captain replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"We have the better team. They have the better coach. 
Don't forget what Bennett did with an absolutely garbage Origin squad a few years back.
If both teams play to their potential and we're not massively out-coached, Eels by 16."
20 minutes ago
Space Eel replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"How about he gets taught to tackle first"
24 minutes ago
More…