Fergo Rumour

Hey folks I don't normally like to post rumours unless I think they have substance but I'll post this to see if anyone else has heard anything.

Apparently we are looking at Fergo Medically retiring and then freeing up his contract for next year.

Obviously it's a rumour it came from someone who normally has some good info admittedly he isn't a Eels fan but his info about another team is usually spot on.

Anyone else heard this??

Anyway it's off season so that's the best time for rumours 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The somersaults while spectacular were also dumb plays as a miscalculation would have had him in a wheelchair, thus one would have to wonder if stupi actions are a case for insurance payments.  However, as they did not appear to affect his play they could not be likely used for knocking back a genuine insurance claim, which is deemed career ending.

When one looks at some other cases of insurance claims for career ending payouts, it makes one wonder if new policies may be harder to claim succesfully. Cases that come to mind  Foran, Inglis and Sam Burgess, all came back to play again, one exception was Watmough, but that was a fight to get it finalised.

• Insurance only pays if it's not a preexisting injury, and Fergo would be hard pressed to prove that his knees haven't been on the decline before he signed his contract with us.

A player & club can petition the NRL for salary cap relief if the player wants to medically retire. Now, the player & club have to be able to prove that the player can't realistically play on with the injury and would be putting his future health at risk by doing so.

Under this scenario the club still pays the player his salary, but it is exempted from the cap, and obviously the player cannot play professionally ever again.

If a player incurs a career ending injury in the act of pursuing his profession, then the club can apply to the league's insurer, ( because their asset is no longer productive) to pay out the players contract, or whatever the agreed payout figure is. The contract is voided and the contract no longer counts under the cap. 

The effect on the salary cap is the same, the player still gets paid, but the payer is different in the two cases.

• Good points and thanks for them Brettt.

What's the situation though with the likes of Inglis and Sam Burgess who have both indicated their desire to play again, yet were they not paid out in insurance money?

• Hope so as he is well past it. It was clearly obvious this year that Ferguson is too far gone his best. The Eels need two new wingers.

• Hard to say that when for the most part of the season he never saw the ball.

Fergo doesn't shirk work while he didn't score as many 4 pointers his work bringing the ball out was still amongst the best in the comp.

I wouldn't replace Fergo next year I'd be still banking on him.

• I don't think Fergo's injury was that bad. He almost played the last game but his confidence was definatly down this year, which for Fergo is huge because the guy runs on confidence.

Heard plenty saying Gutho will play in the centres next season.

Who on earth would be stupid enough to put the Daly M fullback of the year into a different position.

• UMMMM. BA

• & a probable player that's wanting big coin to play fullback, and eels may have a desire to sign him

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Poupou Escobar replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"No it was Stuart."
45 minutes ago
TKBK replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 7 Team List v Dolphins
"Twice this year we have had an outside back go down, and it's caused us all sorts of drama. I'd be happy to have Blaize play that role all year he's not in the starting team. Covers every spot in  the backline and with the concussion rules, and the…"
2 hours ago
BEM replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 7 Team List v Dolphins
"I can't see that happening. 
This looks like another "just in case" selection and I doubt Talagi will get many minutes if any."
2 hours ago
BEM replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 7 Team List v Dolphins
"Which will could possibly have by not having another forward on the bench."
2 hours ago
More…