Parramatta Eels table $4 million offer to keep Mitchell Moses and Clint Gutherson

Parramatta have launched a raid worth more than $4 million to keep rival clubs from circling key players Clint Gutherson and Mitchell Moses.

The Sunday Telegraph has learnt the Eels have tabled significant contracts to the duo having identified them as key to the long-term future of the club. Gutherson was offered the richest deal in his career — a contract worth almost $2 million across three years. That deal was significantly upped on the original $450,000 offer the Eels made to their captain before Christmas.

Gutherson has rejected the current offer, preparing to test himself on the open market. But the Eels have not given up hope of securing Gutherson long-term.

Moses has rebounded with his good form reflective of a substantial $750,000 a year offer which is now in the hands of his management. Eels officials have made retaining the duo a priority among a host of teammates who are off-contract including Tim Mannah, Michael Jennings, Daniel Alvaro and Manu Ma’u.

The Eels are also expected to launch a bid to lock in five-eighth Dylan Brown on a long-term deal before the end of next month. Brown, who is sidelined with a back injury, is not off-contract until the end of 2020 but the Eels want to keep the half on an extended deal before rival clubs pounce.

Coach Brad Arthur also won’t know his fate until June with the board putting off a decision on his long-term future until the season reaches its midway point.

Parramatta are also hopeful of extending veteran Tim Mannah’s deal by a further season. The Eels are keen on keeping the highly popular Mannah at the club once his career ends. Mannah has suggested he could test the open market but the 31-year-old could finish up as the second-most capped Eels player of all-time if he remains at the club.

Jennings has also sprung back to form. The 30-year-old is in the final season of a rich four year deal he signed after being part of a Roosters premiership winning side and rising to be a representative star. He could be granted another contract but at a cheaper price.

Alvaro, Ma’u, Tepai Moeroa and Brad Takairangi are among the other off-contract players who could have their deals extended.T

Parramatta have made no secret of the desire to lure a big front-rower to join the club having missed out on South Sydney’s George Burgess for this year. The South Sydney prop remains off-contract with the Eels on the lookout of adding some bulk to their middle.

A strike centre/edge back-rower is also on the club’s radar. The Eels re-signed hooker Reed Mahoney until the end of next year and are planning on promoting a host of juniors into the top squad in the upcoming seasons — an area which has long been neglected by the Parramatta club.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Snake would be wrapped with the Eels offering Mannah a extension of 1 year. :)

• Gutho 3yrs 630k a year

Moses 3yrs 750k a year

Dylan Brown extension talks to kick off next month

Mannah & M Jennings to get 1yr deals cheaper then what they are on now:

Taka, Alvaro, Ma’u, Moeroa all fighting for there careers still.

Exciting times ahead 

• I hope thats a gee up about Mannah 

We need Jennings to stay for one more year i would let go of taka

Manu wonts to come good if not he can go to

And my mate think we sign George Burgess i hope he right but dont shot the messger 

• This reply was deleted.
      • Dr yes i like to meet you

• This reply was deleted.
          • One man enter one man leaves and it wont be dr yes

• That’s funny.

I’m sure you meant two men enter...but all the same, that’s funny.

• Very mixed feelings about all this. Many of these players need to be moved on sooner rather than later. Taka shouldn't be resigned at all in my view. He's probably the biggest piece of dead wood we're carrying right now. A strike centre needs to be the priority. I'm not that keen on Alvaro either. We can do better than him.

Tapai has found his home in the middle and I'd keep him at least a while longer. Do we really need Jennings and Mannah just for their experience? Though to his credit Jennings has rebounded and his defence has been very good. I might tolerate another year of him if he takes a pay cut.

Gee wiz Mannah just keeps hanging on and I can't believe he's set to be extended. If he's going to be a mentor to our young forwards coming through then we're deat set fucked. He's not a winner and won't impart any sense of ruthlessness and mongrel. He's a relic of a losing culture and needs to be extricated from the club. It's harsh but true and people need to wake up to this.

• Fuck off mannah

• ''Mannah has suggested he might test the open market'' BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

As if thats going to happen...

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

HKF replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"If the good eels turn up (the right attitude) they should win reasonably comfortably. 
Eels 28 fins 18
Mom gutho."
12 minutes ago
HKF replied to Mr 'BringBackFitzy' Analyst's discussion Gutherson Blaizes a trail for Talagi
"Looks like the JA mistake all over again.  You don't develop your game sitting on the bench for first grade if you are a half or a fullback with very limited experience to begin with."
15 minutes ago
Mitchy replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"Conditions make this game more even than we think. Control the ball; decent tackle efficiency and get to the kick and be patient. That's the key. The Fins have a balanced halves pairing too. Don't underestimate them. We should win by less than 8"
22 minutes ago
Parrapowa replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"Win comfortably. "
38 minutes ago
More…