Eels stuck in a bad Place

Alright guys,

I know theres negativity around here and blogs coming from this angle often divide between the people who want to remain positive and the people that can see past their nose a little.

We're in that place a sporting franchise kinda of dreads. No mans land. Its said in sports like the NBA its the worst place to be because youre not bottoming out for draft picks and youre also not a genuine title contender. You just go through the season winning games with no real hope of a title and no real excitment building for the future. Thats where we are as a footy team. There no draft picks here obviously , but teams like the Bulldogs, Broncos , Sharks etc have hit their bottom for where theyll be for the next decade. Theyve cut dead wood , blooded youngsters and made some big purchases. We've just sitting here with the same coach, the same playing philosophy , predominantly the same roster and once again we'll be finishing around that 4th to 6th range. Our kids coming through from our junior catchment (The Rouse Hill Rhinos) dont look that special.. barring Penisini who could have a really bright future. Dylan Brown has completely stalled as a player and BA has no idea how to get the best out of him. No Moses in the side and what a perfect opportunity to give Dylan the main guy role and let other areas of his game develop? No, lets give the main duties to the 7 game NSW Cup vetearn who lives in the same house. Diabolical decision and nepotism has further staggered Dylan's develpment who BA now see's as a runner aka an undersized backrower.

No good judges think we can win the comp. Not one. No good judges think we're builiding to a title with what we have over the next few years... but what we have is a roster that will beat 10 of the 15 other teams with effort, physical experience and talent. I've said it in other blogs... we need to figure out where we want to go now. O'Neill and our board need to say is it good for us to be comfotable being that team thats the best of the rest or do we want to really take this club to the next level where we're contending for titles? Big decisions needs to be made for that but they will come with backlash from the News Ltd media who have always had a good relationship with Brad. If Gus was in charge today BA would be gone end of season. I;m not saying Gus knows all but he knows a hell of a lot more than Crawley, Kent and Rothfield combined.

I'll leave you guys with this becuae it has been discussed a lot. Arguably one of the greatest rugby league minds we have had involved with this club the great Peter Sterling has begun questioning a lot of what BA is doing and hoping to achieve. Sterlo has never been one to be overly critical of us or heap more pressure on our coaches and players. Are we going to be brave enough as a club to be somewhat uthless and thank Brad for what he's done ? Are we going to try and go to the upper ecehlon of teams and show that imrpovement and effort is no longer enough to paint over the cracks in our club? Or are we gonna do what Parramatta has done for far too long and sit on our comfy asses?

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I'll leave you guys with this becuae it has been discussed a lot".

AMEN to that.

• GWF your whole opening statement has basically contradicted your opening 2 lines.

Your whole spiel after that is negative 😂 

Fark me are we just filing this one in the with all the rest of the negative crap that's floating round here after a loss.

• I'm with ya GWF 

but then I'm type A personality 

I think we have a lot of procrastinators or something on here 🤷‍♀️

• And I'll go one more 

I'm a cynical type A 
        in business and I would like to say politics ,there is such a thing as " conflict of interest" - tricky in the NRL coaching your own son ....

when they are an already NRL player like Nathan prob not so much 

but always a risk when up and coming imo 

• Did you no that Cleary and BA basically have the same winning %.

• Oh yeh ok 

that makes me feel better 🙄

• This reply was deleted.
      • Brisbane at home 2 years ago I'd pretty much say.

And broke an NRL record while doing so.

• How did his plan go in the Grandfinal? Much like our first round win, mean f&$@ all if you don't win the big hey!! 

• I honestly believe we are one of the most individually skilful teams in the competition but it is being stifled and wasted by a simplified and negative game plan.

Besides jarred hayne you can't tell me we don't have more skilful players in our current side than 2009 but if 2009 was playing the 2021 side the 2009 side would put 40 on our current side. They would run the current side ragged and the sad part is the better team imo is 2021.

The first half of the titans game was the best we looked in weeks because we used the ball.

I was at the game amongst the eels supporters and the difference in the excitement from the first half to second was huge. Everyone around me wanted to know what happened to the ball movement from the first half. BA was not popular in the second half

• I'm with you 

I would love to have us with a top shelf coach for a month and see what would transpire 😞

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

BEM posted a discussion
NRL rocked by death of former NSW and Kangaroos centre Terry Hill at 52

The rugby league community is in mourning following the death of former NSW and Kangaroos star Terry Hill at the age of 52.

The Daily Telegraph is reporting the former NRL…
13 minutes ago
Tin Tim replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Well I was thinking Parra would lift, the team lift for BA. But finding out Terry Hill has died from a hart attack in the Philippines, I think Manly will lift for this match also. R.I.P. Tezza, I hope this ain't a joke. He was a hard player & a…"
14 minutes ago
Frank The Tank replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"100000% anyone but BA is my opinion.
11 seasons and that's it - fuck off."
18 minutes ago
Frank The Tank replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"HOE this one is your best effort yet - I'd rate it masterclass in previewing an NRL game and a masterpiece work 
Pity this can't be published for the wider NRLs audiences digestion.
I fear a lot of what you say on here wont improve this year and…"
22 minutes ago
More…