EELS SIGN DAEJERN ASI FROM FROM WARRIORS

The Parramatta Eels have bolstered their depth by signing utility Daejarn Asi on a two-year deal, foxsports.com.au understands.

Asi, who was without a contract for the upcoming 2023 season, joined the Warriors earlier this year after struggling for regular minutes at the Cowboys.

The Warriors though had plenty of halves depth of their own with Luke Metcalf travelling across the ditch from Cronulla to join Shaun Johnson and Ronald Volkman as leading options.

It left Asi looking for a deal elsewhere and he has found it at Parramatta and is set to join the club next week to commence training ahead of the new season.

Having played fullback, centre and five-eighth during his career Asi will be a valuable asset for the Eels, who are looking to build on last year’s grand final appearance.

He could also give Parramatta a back-up plan should star five-eighth Dylan Brown leave the club at the end of next year.

Speaking to foxsports.com.au in Manchester after New Zealand bowed out of contention at the World Cup, Brown said he was torn as rival clubs circle.

“Security is good, it’s never easy deciding your future, it’s always hard, you’ve got to do what’s best for you and your family,” Brown said.

“At the end of the day it’s all for my family so I’ll discuss with them, it’s not a decision I’m going to make on my own. But I’m excited to sort my future out.

“I love the Eels, I’ve enjoyed playing with them and I’ve been playing with some great players on that team.

“It’s sad to see some of my good mates go, Reed (Mahoney) is leaving, Ice (Isaiah Papali’i) is leaving and a few more boys, but I have to see what’s best for my family.”

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Yes Coryn, i mentioned this too. If Todd Payten says you have work ethic issues, that says alot.

Payten is a no frills coach, if you are bad he will say it. BA is similar to Payten in work ethic. His players are built around work rate. Whether you agree with that or not it is the case. That is why i could never see us go for a David Fifita.

Look at Bevan French and Pauli Pauli as examples, both had instances of lacking the work rate during games, cannot say about training as i do not know, but both were gone reletively quick.

Asi of course deserves a chance, he is still young enough to snap out of it and maybe this will be a wake-up call.

• This kid will develop into a good player

• I said not long ago that we should sign him. Asi is a very good signing this kid is a gun. I reckon he may play himself into the vacant center spot in the off-season. The kid has class.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic-Z9ThcAbg

• At least he might get rid of JA utility value 🙌🏻

• Can play in the entire backline so actually is a utility. Has skill speed and strength so has Jake beat at every turn.

• Yes !!!! But logic sometimes is non existent on an eels bench 🙄😞😒

• Yeah good backup for JA.......

We will just develop him and let him go once anyone offers$100k more than we did. 

• This is a Perham replacement. Can play Centre and in the halves, could even slot in at 1 if desperate.

Reason NQ moved him on is due to his work ethic, so if Payten couldn't do it wonder how BA will who is a tough task master himself.

Could be a nice 14 for us.

• Watching his highlights he seems to be far better than Perham was. I may be wrong, but he looks very quick and skilful. Hopefully this is an astute signing. Seems to have far more upside than another young halfback we have on our books.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Coryn Hughes replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Seriously we don't need to be worrying what Sanders or DB do with the ball we don't.
If Sanders Lane and co can't  hold up on there side the argument what we do with the ball is moot right.
Its what we do without the ball that is the key to our…"
6 minutes ago
Frank The Tank replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"Losing cures the scenario we are in - winning will just paper over the cracks.
No arguing we need a clean out at the top. MON and a few others need to go as well, but the best chance of that happening is if we get rid of the coach first and then…"
14 minutes ago
Longfin Eel replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
"I thought it was North Queensland. "
19 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Muttman's discussion Souths Anzac Jersey
""
22 minutes ago
More…