Parramatta have reopened negotiations with South Sydney prop George Burgess about joining the club before the start of the 2019 season.

NRL.com reported last month that Burgess had knocked back an offer from the Eels to join the club before round one, however discussions with the prop’s management have been revived over the past few days.

It could have an impact on the Wests Tigers, who were given the green light by the NRL to try and sign Robert Jennings.

If Burgess departs to join the Eels, Jennings may remain at the Rabbitohs.

The Eels are desperate to add some size to their pack, identifying George Burgess as a potential starting prop alongside new recruit Junior Paulo.

It is understood Burgess’s preference is to remain at the Rabbitohs with his brothers Sam and Thomas, however he hasn’t been guaranteed a contract beyond the end of this season.

The Eels are willing to pay his full contract for the remainder of this season (believed to be around $400,000) as well offer him a two year deal on top of that worth around $700,000 a season to keep him at the club until the end of 2021.

Those closest to Burgess are encouraging him to take the deal on the table, with no guarantee of a contract of such value to come around in the next 12 months and also the Eels would have likely moved on to their next target.

As of Tuesday night, Burgess’s manager Chris Caisley was in close dialogue with Eels officials about the move.

Caisley is based in England, meaning all his dealings with the Eels and Rabbitohs have largely taken place at night due to the time difference.

The Eels are hopeful the English international can return to the type of form that led to him being touted as one of the best front-rowers in the game during South Sydney’s premiership charge in 2014.

Gutherson knocks back Eels deal

The Eels offered a contract extension to skipper Clint Gutherson late last year, however the Eels fullback declined to sign.

There’s a suggestion he is waiting to see what will happen with coach Brad Arthur and who takes his place should he not have his contract extended beyond this year.

Gutherson also believes he is worth more than what the Eels put on the table. It’s no secret Gutherson wasn’t at his best in 2018 coming off a second ACL injury, however the fullback has backed himself to rediscover his best form and in turn demand more than he would have if he signed the extension last year.

He is happy at the club, with both parties keen for the deal to be done. It’s just a matter of working out just how much that contract is worth.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good news about Burgess. I also like the fact that Gutho is backing himself to play really well this year.

• When you actually do the sums, its not that much greater than what they are proposing to pay for 2019.

The story says that eels want him 400k for rest of 2019 - contracts go from Nov 1 to Oct 31. So on that basis to lure him across it will be 150k up on his current contract - its more than current but not way overs.

As long as he catches the ball and keeps it could be a good investment.

• I'd say he will take it.No way will Wayne Bennett pay him that sort of cash.

• I say go for him as well as get Guthos deal done

• Bennett will be backing some of the young bronco fowards to follow next year so can't see Burgess at South's beyond 2019 and definetly not at that price.  Maybe missing out on him now is good thing and then get him cheaper at end of year for 2020.  He won't leave sydney as very close to his family

As for the 700 it seems overs for someone who struggles to hold the ball but he can make metres and dent defences which we need. 700k in papers probably means 600-650k in reality as well with manager trying to play games.

Also with young fowards getting paid 700and upwards I think it fair price for experienced foward with international experience.  

• The  concern with this is that I am of the belief that GB is a confidence player.  Now when he is high, you could argue that he is unstoppable, but moving away from seeing his brothers and playing and training with them daily what will that do to his mental state.

He could be a genuine game changer however he could be our next Kane Evans.

Develop our youth and show some faith

• Last time Bennett let go a prop and Parra paid overs was Justin Poore. 

We all know how that went

• Didnt Bennett resign Dan Hunt ? we all know how that went

• I don't think Bennett necessarily wanted to let Poore go but they'd just won the minor premiership and had to let some players go so they could fit under the cap. Poore was an Origin player at the time.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Avon Barksdale posted a discussion
Graham Annesley has conceded a controversial obstruction call that cost Roosters star Joey Manu a fair try against the Panthers was wrong. The NRL head of football has wasted no time conceding that video referee Chris Butler failed to use the…
9 minutes ago
Poppa posted a discussion
Lomax is reputably on 800k, I am not sure when his contract expires. No one's going to get him for a bargainWhen his 800 at Saints expires you might!.............he has been a Saints junior and prodigy the whole time, I think its a bit sad when you…
20 minutes ago
Cumberland Eel replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Mick Cronin"
25 minutes ago
Cumberland Eel replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"And the local kebab shop"
26 minutes ago
More…