Parramatta have reopened negotiations with South Sydney prop George Burgess about joining the club before the start of the 2019 season.

NRL.com reported last month that Burgess had knocked back an offer from the Eels to join the club before round one, however discussions with the prop’s management have been revived over the past few days.

It could have an impact on the Wests Tigers, who were given the green light by the NRL to try and sign Robert Jennings.

If Burgess departs to join the Eels, Jennings may remain at the Rabbitohs.

The Eels are desperate to add some size to their pack, identifying George Burgess as a potential starting prop alongside new recruit Junior Paulo.

It is understood Burgess’s preference is to remain at the Rabbitohs with his brothers Sam and Thomas, however he hasn’t been guaranteed a contract beyond the end of this season.

The Eels are willing to pay his full contract for the remainder of this season (believed to be around $400,000) as well offer him a two year deal on top of that worth around $700,000 a season to keep him at the club until the end of 2021.

Those closest to Burgess are encouraging him to take the deal on the table, with no guarantee of a contract of such value to come around in the next 12 months and also the Eels would have likely moved on to their next target.

As of Tuesday night, Burgess’s manager Chris Caisley was in close dialogue with Eels officials about the move.

Caisley is based in England, meaning all his dealings with the Eels and Rabbitohs have largely taken place at night due to the time difference.

The Eels are hopeful the English international can return to the type of form that led to him being touted as one of the best front-rowers in the game during South Sydney’s premiership charge in 2014.

Gutherson knocks back Eels deal

The Eels offered a contract extension to skipper Clint Gutherson late last year, however the Eels fullback declined to sign.

There’s a suggestion he is waiting to see what will happen with coach Brad Arthur and who takes his place should he not have his contract extended beyond this year.

Gutherson also believes he is worth more than what the Eels put on the table. It’s no secret Gutherson wasn’t at his best in 2018 coming off a second ACL injury, however the fullback has backed himself to rediscover his best form and in turn demand more than he would have if he signed the extension last year.

He is happy at the club, with both parties keen for the deal to be done. It’s just a matter of working out just how much that contract is worth.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Orrrr maybe Poore was paid 600k to come lol

• Bennett said Poore was only worth 350 or 400k and no more.  We paid overs and as it turned out he was right 

In fact I believe Bennett said no prop was worth for than 400k

• Yeah but that was a few years ago, when you consider what some other forwards are getting like Klemmer reportedly over $900k, Woods over $800k, Eastwood about $800k just to name a few, than the deal for George doesn't look that bad, in fact if you can get him at his best more often than his worst than it's quite a good deal.

• Agree. 

At his best he is worth the money .

It's about managing the variance in performance

• Burgess when in form is worth the 700k, unfortunately when he isn't in form he isn't worth half that.

We do need another big body in the middle to help Junior but will he be the same player away from his brothers???

• That's a risk i think we have to take Al, we can't all be screaming at the club to buy a big front rower than poo poo it when they try, they don't come any bigger than George. There is a big difference between his best and his worst the trick is to get more of his best than his worst, maybe getting away from his comfort zone with his brothers will be good for him, fingers crossed.

• I hope we get him for this year and keep Gutherson 

• I read it as 400 k for 2019 and 700k per year for seasons 2020 and 2021 is this what it is?

• Yes, 400k is what he is still owed by Souths for the rest of this season meaning they have already payed him about 200k for this season so far. To put it simply, he is currently on about $600k per year at souths and we will be paying him $400k this year and $700k per year for 2020-21.

• Would you say HKF this is a ploy by his manager to up his price with Souths if they resign him beyond this year?

That's what it looks like to me. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

BEM replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"Pretty sure the Sharks lost all of their best forwards before and during the match and finished with no reserves on the bench.
Not taking anything away from Wests as Api was outstanding but I don't see them running through us as easy as they did the…"
2 minutes ago
Archie replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"I'm with you Bup, Lomax is exactly the type of player we want in our outside backs. "
5 minutes ago
LB replied to Prof. Daz's discussion R4 V TIGERS: FREUD SAYS ‘WORK THROUGH’ IT, DEAR EELS
"The thing about this game that is curious and worrying to me is are Wests the real deal or was last week just a mood. I tipped Wests to beat Cronulla last week for a few reasons. 1) Was not convinced on Cronulla's past 2 performances where they were…"
22 minutes ago
BEM replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Sivo is back this round.
Lomax doesn't want to play wing at the Dragons so I doubt he would come here to play the same position.
He would replace Harper.
1. Gutho
2. Sivo
3. Lomax
4. Penisini 
5. Russell 
That would be the best backline we have had…"
23 minutes ago
More…