Eels fight to retain stars

Source Daily Telegraph 

Parramatta’s fight to retain Reed Mahoney has dramatically escalated after it emerged the Brisbane Broncos were weighing up whether to turn the battle for his signature into a south east Queensland bunfight.
Mahoney is off contract at the end of 2022 and it is understood initial talks have taken place between his camp and the Broncos over a return to Queensland.

Mahoney has also been linked with the Dolphins as his management explore his options at the NRL’s newest franchise, which is due to enter the premiership from 2023.

It is unclear whether Mahoney’s camp have also held talks with the Gold Coast, although the Titans’ search for a hooker has been no secret given they have also flagged an interest in Melbourne rake Brandon Smith.

Sources confirmed to News Corp that the Broncos had been approached over Mahoney and discussions had taken place, although they were very much in the embryonic stage.

It is understood Brisbane are yet to formalise their plans for the 2023 season, although hooker Jake Turpin is off contract at the end of next season and like Mahoney, is up for grabs from November 1.

The Broncos have been steadily rebuilding their roster – they have signed South Sydney captain Adam Reynolds and Penrith premiership winner Kurt Capewell for next season – and their interest in Mahoney is likely to hinge on what direction they decide to take with Turpin, who captained Brisbane on occasions this season.

Mahoney has quickly become one of the most coveted players on the open market and the rising interest in him is set to heap more pressure on Parramatta as they attempt to retain a roster that went within a whisker of the preliminary final this season.

Mahoney aside, the Eels are locked in a fight to retain the likes of Clint Gutherson, Isaiah Papali’i, Junior Paulo, Marate Niukore and Maika Sivo, all of whom are free to sign deals with rival clubs from November 1.

Niukore has already spoken to St George Illawarra and the Warriors, and the Eels are facing an intense battle to hold onto the New Zealand back rower.

Prop Reagan Campbell-Gillard has also indicated he will head to market on November 1 as he pursues a deal for the 2023 season, potentially at the Dolphins.

The last thing the Eels need is a scrap for Mahoney, yet that is exactly what they are facing as he contemplates a return to Queensland.

Mahoney was on the verge of State of Origin selection this year when he was named as part of the extended squad for the Maroons, but a shoulder problem cost him any chance of making his Queensland debut.

His season was then brought to a premature end when his shoulder gave way for good only a matter of weeks before the finals.

The Eels soldiered on without Mahoney and they may have to get used to his absence as he opens talks with teams in south east Queensland about a potential homecoming – he was born on Queensland’s Sunshine Coast and played his junior rugby league at Kawana and Beerwah before moving to Sydney to play SG Ball for the Bulldogs.

The good news for Parramatta is that if Mahoney decides to return home, there are hooking options off contract at the end of next season.

The Eels are expected to fortify their depth in the position by singing former Gold Coast rake Mitch Rein as backup to Mahoney this season. At the end of 2022, Smith and Penrith hooker Api Koroisau are among the quality hookers up for grabs.

Wade Egan and Blake Brailey are also off contract while the Tigers may have a surplus of No. 9s if Josh Hodgson completes his move to the club. That said, the Eels would be loath to lose Mahoney given the way he has elevated his game over the past 12 months.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I don't think it's the money per season it's the length of the contract players are after.The club may only want to invest 2-3 yrs and Gutho may want 4.Players are after security and knowing you are employed and comfortable for the next 4 years maybe more enticing than the 2-3 being offered.

For me the max yrs I'm signing anyone for is 3.

• I think you are correct in many ways Coryn, Gutho is a fairly good example, he is now not long turned 27, one year to go before new contract is to come, he turns 28 before seasons end, 3 year deal then puts him 31 when contract ends, I doubt we will be seeing many over 31year olds still playing past that age.

• You reckon - BA and Gutho are that deep into each other you that you cant tell where Gutho starts and BA ends. BA will look after his buddy..

• Well Chief with all the money you are making it could be you that is one of the big sponsors . 

I reckon we only need about 10 sponsors for say 50k each and we can retain all our players and still recruit.

We need to put 100/150 Mahoney's way, leaves the club with a 650/700 bill and 50 Guths way 700 club bill.

Papa 100 & 400 from the club, 50 Nikuire 350 Club......200 Club for the Wynnum Seaguls Hooker (Berrell) and 400 for a winger (Cotric). Sell Sivo now to Dolphins and get him off the books. He can have a half a season with their Intrust side to recuperate and get his knee right for 2023.

• Mate poppa, like I said, if the love for Arthur isn't justified by players staying for a fair offer from the club, then signing him for another 2 seasons could be a huge mistake. Then again,  NBrown is said to have stayed for less

• N brown was going to manly was a handshake agreement until manly backed out. 

• Not could, it will........

• Tongue in cheek Pops...

$750k is more than generous for Gutho.

I would only be offering him a 2 year deal maximum too. Take it or leave it. 

• I know Bert, I have you in training, you take and give the piss as good as anybody.....lol

• It's tough being a fan when your best players are being linked to this club and that club. Throw in a brand new franchise and this media feeding frenzy is going to go nuts. Strap yourselves in!!

A few points worth considering. 
    - The Eels aren't the only club with a bunch of players off contract. The 17th franchise was always on the horizon and player agents negotiated accordingly to ensure their clients would be in a good bargaining position at the time. 
    - Supply and demand sets the price. Players are worth whatever someone is willing to pay. 
    - Every player off contract at Parra will be linked to various clubs. It's totally natural and it's literally the agent's job to shop around and see what his client is truly worth. 
    - The Eels have their priorities, players that the club aren't willing to lose. Unless another club does something silly the Eels will retain the players they want to keep. It doesn't mean those players won't talk to other clubs. It's a player's market and they'll want to ensure they're not staying for huge unders. 
    - As Bellamy said, there's more to signing than just money. The Eels have built something worthwhile here. To walk away from that to go to an unknown or a struggling club you'd want to be earning top dollar. If that's your priority then so be it. We can't pay overs to retain players. It screws your entire roster eventually. 

So my advice to everyone (if you want it) is don't panic at every article in the paper. This is a process, an uncomfortable and somewhat nerve racking process. We just have to let players negotiate. If there's a desire to stay from both parties I'm confident a deal can be struck. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Tin Tim replied to Blue Eel's discussion The Truth Hurts: Article
"Robbo at the Roosters seem to be left alone after 4yrs of lame years. Well aware he won comps but his roster is still top notch roster. This year they are struggling with injuries, I think the Dragons will win today & the Eels Friday night. Knights…"
43 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Eli Stephens's discussion Jett Cleary off to NZ
"I suppose you're one of the idiots who wanted Sanders to hang around for 4/5 yes to get the opportunity to be a 1st grade regular."
5 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to BEM's discussion RIP TERRY HILL
"Yup, woke = broke.   Once upon a time Thursday night meant nothing but Footy show night in most households I knew. As soon as she turned up even as a " reporter " it was doomed. It lost all credibility and you couod just tell that the show that was…"
6 hours ago
LB replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"Frankie do you think they will have mural with a candle when BA is gone from the club? Perhaps place some flowers at Kellyville while whispering "We appreciate you".
Legit BA could be driving and drive onto the pathway hitting and killing one of…"
6 hours ago
More…