Dylan Brown

A lot of people believe that Dylan Brown is not very good and should not be a half and rather play at centre. I am personally a massive Dylan Brown fan and believe he will be a great half. I do agree that his trial peformance was not very good but I will not cast any big judgment on him over 1 game which was also just a trial. You have to also realise it is harder to attack if teams are not obbeying the 10m offside rule and the ref is not calling 6 agains. I don't understand how Klein could do that because the players are not actually getting a proper trial of the new rules. Additionally, all those who have made judgements on Dylan Brown from his first 2 years in the NRL are being overly harsh. The kid is still only 20 years old and suffered couple injuries that kept him from the NRL for many weeks. The injuries didn't help him develop his combination with Moses who also got injured last year. So hopefully both halves can go injury free this year and string many games together so they can develop their combination. 

My only though for Brown is maybe playing a few games in NSW cup as the number 7. It is very challenging for a half to jump straight from SG ball to NRL standards without playing in reserve grade for sometime. Many people believe halves should not debut at a very young age due to the pressure halves have in controlling and winning games. Reserve grade gives young halves the opportunity to learn their craft, mature and develop their game without the pressure of NRL media scrutinising every error you make. This could be very advtangeous in also helping Dylan Brown become an NRL halfback quicker. This would allow Moses to play five-eight which is when he is much more dangerous with his running game as he has less on his mind with Brown than taking more control of the game management aspect. While Brown is in reserve grade developing his game the NRL team could always have Moses at five-eight and Ranking at halfback. Alternately, Will Smith could play. I would not reccomend Jakob Arthur yet, cause like Brown, he should play in reserve gradde to develop his game. 

Thoughts? (P.S - HE IS NOT A CENTRE. lol )

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think he shows great composure and maturity for someone so young.

He will be the Eels and Kiwis long term #7 if he can develop his kicking game.

Cheers,

Scott

• He's not feeling the pressure, he handles that side of things quite well, almost like he doesn't have a care in the world.

He won't play reserves, I think he'd see that a a huge demotion and start looking elsewhere. He's talked himself up in the past, claiming he wants $1mill etc

He needs to start living up to the hype, back himself and play his natural game.

• Yea I agree he is good with handling pressure. But in terms of developing his game and learning his craft, reserve grade is very important. If he just spend a month or so in reserve grade I don't think he will have any issues hopefully. the $1 million thing was just all a misunderstanding and stuff. Even the all blacks thing was a misunderstanding. He explained it in podcasts I have watched. 

• Good to hear that was all a misunderstanding, he does seem to have learned from that and handles himself much better publicly. I totally understand why you'd suggest going into reserves to develop. It'd be really interesting to see how he'd handle that. Some people do better being thrown in the deep end while others need to slowly get up to speed. It's getting to the point now where people are thinking it was too much too soon for Dylan. I hope he starts to back himself and pushes through the pressure. I beleive we'll get the answer either way this season

• Same here. He is my favourite player at the eels. Really want to see him develop and be great. Incase you wanted to hear the podcast with him talking about the All Blacks, and other stuff, on spotify search up Refuse to Loose Podcast. Dylan Brown is episode 14 and it goes for 1 hour. 

• Cheers, will give it a listen. I like the kid too.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Agree, I think Dylan Brown is your run of the mill average number 6, good defender, tough, effort, and generally average reliable.

• I think all the early hype has not helped Dylan out, and I think his not as good as people think.

For awhile now he has been average, the greats are saying he lacks game involvement He started NRL with a bang, good short kicking game, good left step, go to the line and good short ball. He has never had a good long ball.

Last night he just followed on from 2020, couple bad passes, kicking on the 3rgd we had the overlap, left standing not sure what to do, nothing in Attack, and a disorganized back line.

I am not convinced he will be a champion, he lacks game planning, certainly no vision, and doubt he has any natural ability or game no use to be a champion number 6.

I am starting to wonder if Dylan would be better of under a different coaching system. Or bring Jason Taylor in as our attacking and skills coach.

• Now bringning Jason Taylor or another attacking and skills coach is something I would love to see. BA's coaching staff are useless. All top teams have not just the best coaches but also the best coaching systems and staff. Adding Jason Taylor or Flanagan will be a masive boost. 

• Now this I agree with. Well the Jason Taylor part anyway.

I wouldn't touch Flanagan with a ten foot pile. I would rather add Matt Elliott and Jason Taylor.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Snottie Pimpin replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Bennett for coach 2025
"We have the players it's the style of game we are playing . Our forwards are getting flogged and can't back up their performances week to week. They will have a big effort in them and they can't do it again 6 days later. The attacking systems are…"
24 seconds ago
Bob Smith replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Sean Russell
"Great kicker, NOT. Great pick, BA."
38 seconds ago
Muttman replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion Bennett for coach 2025
"We're EXACTLY the type of team Bennett loves. Underperforming players and a chance for him to be the Messiah. We're perfect for him. "
1 minute ago
Bup replied to Grunta the great's discussion Game Day Blog - Eels vs Dolphins
"I can't believe we let in 8 tries in a half.
Thats basically a try scored at a rate of every 2nd possession.
Thats the opposite of effort, that usually means a fractured dressing room .
Its a msssive concern, words mean nothing in these situations…"
1 minute ago
More…