Do we have a premiership bench?

First of all who are our bench? (full strength side)

I believe it will be

14. Stone

15. Evans

16. Alvaro

17. Nuikore/Kafusi

With Matterson able to cover the halves, Nuikore/Kafusi able to cover second row, Matterson/Nuikore able to cover centre etc, we can cover all positions and do not need a utility player.

We do not need a bench of four props as all props can play long minutes each and a fouth prop would only get 5-10 minutes on the field. We do not need a dedicated second rower on the bench as Lane and Matterson are 80 minute players and Nuikore/Kafusi can cover if Lane/Matterson need a break.

What we did need in 2019 was

1. a third point of attack
  2. and to time manage Mahoney to make sure our middle defence stays strong.

Matterson is a third point of attack now and time managing Mahoney may also help him start attacking more. Thus we do not need a half like Davies or Smith to be 14 to be a third point of attack.

We still need a strong defensive replacement for Mahoney. Stone needs to improve his delivery and I think he will this preseason and will become our 14. When he gives Mahoney a rest our middle defence will be strong. We do not want to tire out Guth as a replacement for Mahoney like last year and weaken fullback and move everyone around.

We are unlikely to get a bench of starting props - otherwise they would leave for a club that can give them an opportunity to start. Evans did well as a starting prop last year and Alvaro towards the end of last year seemed to finally focus on quality more than quantity and played very well. Both are boderline starting props if they play at their best level of 2019. Nuikore and Kafusi are on a steep improvement curve and could also become borderline starting props next year. Stone is an aggressive defender and quick. Our bench is not a bench of representative players, but that is not expected. I think we have as good a bench as any other side.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Are Are ( sorry it was there )

Our beñch is as you called it. In that order, before looking at other options down the roster. Smith , Tako, Hoffman and Meanings are 26 to 30 and are the old heads for the new Reggie's side. I'm looking forward to the in's and outs as the year goes on. The grind sets in. Injury suspension etc will occur, to see who rises and overcomes. To those who crumble and rightly be shown the door.

Highly optimistic, but hey been on the Parra drug since 74 . So happy with the result at the hooter.  Positive year ahead.

• salmon would be a great utility 

• If we wanted an attacking option but as I have said, with Matterson  our priority is now clearly defensive. That leaves  Stone on his own as 14. But yes I should have included Salmon with Davies and Smith as an attacking option for 14.

• I still think we’re missing a creative impact player from the bench personally. We have some really sensible and safe options there with Taka, Alvaro, Nuikore who will be super valuable when injuries/suspensions hit... but I do think we need a young X-factor player that opposition teams can’t read in attack and provide something that the run on team can’t.

Look at what Pappunheyzen brang to the Storm in 2019, explosive speed when defences started to tire. It would be great to find a live wire like that for our bench.

• We do lack alittle in speed

• We have weapons out wide and Matterson will give us a third point of attack and we have two representative grade halves. The weakness this year will be middle defence. Stone can plug that. 

• I actually wasn't that impressed with stone I would rather a utility in salmon or lamb, hopefully stone proves me wrong 

• I agree dont get the Stone love on this forum is it cause he has a cool name?

He's not tall enough and physically imposing enough to demand a backrow spot. 

• This reply was deleted.
This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Michael Ericson replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We aren't as desperate for lomax as the media are making out. I posted on here at the end of last year that I was told we probably wouldn't be going into the market for outside backs because we were going to be blooding  players from the SG ball…"
3 minutes ago
Bup replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Sofa -Solomona wouldn't go to the Dragons, Warriors want to replace Fonua -Blake the moneys the same and if he leaves the Storm the most likely destination.
The Dragons are on the nose to quality players he'd prefer the dogs or dolphins over…"
8 minutes ago
CarloEEL2 replied to Johnny Suede's discussion Clubs monitoring status of Jake Arthur
"Really ? Ok 
if he was Bellamy's son yeh I can understand that assumption by people .... I don't get this one lol sorry "
9 minutes ago
BEM replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"If we are paying 400k for a player of Simonsson's limited abilities then a high quality player like Lomax is definitely worth 600k+"
9 minutes ago
More…