The playing future of Parramatta young gun Dylan Brown could be resolved in the next 24 hours as the Eels attempt to avert rival NRL clubs meeting the teenage playmaker.

The Eels have told Fox Sports a recruitment and retention committee meeting on Monday is hopeful of putting the club’s best offer to Brown and locking the playmaker up long-term.

Provided the Eels management can crunch the correct numbers, the blue and gold faithful are expected to be celebrating securing one of the NRL’s most exciting prospects.

Stream over 50 sports live & anytime on your TV or favourite device with KAYO SPORTS. The biggest Aussie sports and the best from overseas. Just $25/month. No lock-in contract. Get your 14 day free trial >

Round 1Brought to you by sportsbet

Merrin, Prior, Leilua move on

Merrin, Prior, Leilua move on

0:40

But if they can’t, rival NRL clubs are queued-up to enter the equation.

Fox Sports has learned there are meetings locked in with rival clubs for Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week.

The situation is a huge call for Eels powerbrokers who have been under pressure over the course of the last 12 months for the way they’ve handled contract negotiations.

Chairman Sean McElduff, new CEO Jim Sarantinos, head of football Mark O’Neill, coach Brad Arthur and recruitment manager Peter Sharp all form the Eels recruitment and retention committee.

MORE NRL NEWS

RUGBY BOUND: Mitchell considers Wallabies switch in shock move

GOING NOWHERE: Storm silence Addo-Carr talk as rivals eye signing

END OF THE MAN? Choc belted out of the ring in final boxing match

There’s a strong view Parramatta should have secured Brown’s signature well before the November 1 open market deadline.

Especially considering the Warriors six-year $2.8 million offer to try and lure him across the Tasman from earlier this year.

Sure, Brown is only 19-years-old and still signed for the 2020 season but given the talent he’s already showcased, it’s one of those deals you just get done.

The Eels had from March to November to try and strike a new contract for the teenage playmaker, yet here we are in December and rival clubs are ready to strike.

f1304849bdbcb783f1cb9f143315ebc6https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/f1304849bdbcb783f1cb9f143315ebc6?width=400 400w, https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/f1304849bdbcb783f1cb9f143315ebc6?width=480 480w, https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/f1304849bdbcb783f1cb9f143315ebc6?width=650 650w, https://cdn.newsapi.com.au/image/v1/f1304849bdbcb783f1cb9f143315ebc6?width=700 700w" alt="Dylan Brown has been targeted by rival clubs for a move away from the Eels." />Dylan Brown has been targeted by rival clubs for a move away from the Eels.Source: Getty Images

If Brown is allowed to begin the process of meeting with rivals, Eels fans are entitled to be fuming.

This is a player the club identified at 16 years of age, moved to Sydney, nurtured through high school and now what?

The Eels don’t get the deal done? It would be a public relations disaster.

Since the entire football club review at the end of 2018, the Eels have worked hard on reforming their corporate governance and due process.

Jake Trbojevic and cousin Mikaela on her NSW Waratahs ambitions

Jake Trbojevic and cousin Mikaela on her NSW Waratahs ambitions

4:06

But there’s a view the club has now gone too far down the road of being shrouded in red tape systems and structures and those problems are now flowing on into issues within the football department.

The retention and recruitment committee’s penchant for checks and balances surrounding every decision means negotiations can often drag on far too long.

The protracted negotiations of captain Clint Gutherson and the loss of some of the club’s best young talent headed by Stefano Utoikamanu to the Wests Tigers are classic examples.

Ultimately, most NRL clubs have one person who is responsible for doing the lion’s share of assembling the club’s roster.

At Parramatta, there’s seems to be a lot of different voices.

It’s a big 24 hours for the Eels.

View All Comments

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Time will tell Brissy; look at the farce the Mitchell contract has brought up. PLayers for me if they want the money need to take responsibility but Brown is 19, and Parra could have done something beforehand too. We will see.

• I agree brissy eel. Managers and jurnos are the ones making the noise

• Not confident but think he will stay.

• Ohhh what would you know? You flip.

• Im just guessing Baz but im right 98% of the time so make what you will of that.

• Ok, msg me snake I need to talk to u

• Because of the excessive amount of dick and pegged pics youve been sending, im not sure i want to engage, sorry Baz.

• BS you love it, you've even downloaded the Harvey Norman Photo Centre app so you can print em whilst your at home

• The timing of Johns recruitment to be our halves coach could be crucial here.

Wouldnt surprise me if he stays thats he comes out and says the johns coaching gig was the thing that made him sign.

Joey gushes over this kid every time we play, i can see a bit of a love affair developing.

• I honestly don't think that'll mean much to him 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"The Panthers just re-signed / about to re-sign May on 500k per season, and have re-signed Tago on 750k (reportedly) at centre. Our 3 centres probably don't reach 750k combined. 
So while they've developed great wingers as you mentioned, they've also…"
59 minutes ago
MeelK replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I'd sign for that."
6 hours ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Look i think it is more than just being put on the Wing. I think Flanno is a reason. Wanting to play semi's is another.
I think a move away will be an awakening for Lomax. He was on with Fltech and Hindy with Lawrie in 2022 and he mimicked Griffin.…"
7 hours ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"600k is OK for the right winger. The Panthers sets are built on what their back 3 do on tackle one. The more momentum at the start of a set the more expansive a team can play but if our back three are getting smashed on tackle one and two it puts…"
7 hours ago
More…