Concern ourselves more with the lieutenants then the general

The focus on the grand final seems to be stop Cleary stop the Panthers.

Although you must pressure Cleary from the inside and outside , to win the game you must take away the comfortable parts of his game and you do this by making sure his teammates who are the most influential in getting Nathan to the parts of the field he is most at ease at are forced out of their own comfort zones.

The aim is to make sure Cleary is put into unfamiliar situations affecting the fluidity of his game , with the flow on effect being a disjointed attack and defence from the Panthers.

You do this by going after the men that allow Cleary the time and space to get to the parts of the field where he can fall into rhythm.

Defence: 

More often then not teams would look to target Staines with the kick which results in the one two punch of To'o and Edwards followed by either Tago or Chrichton from dummyhalf for easy metres after good early go forward .Often Penrith forwards are  not taking a hit up saving energy for their rushing defence. 
Parra need to sacrifice kick metres if they have to and kick high to Edwards, similar to how the Roosters kicked to Latrelle in the last round . Hit Edwards as he takes the ball in a dominant tackle. 
To'o will do the next hit up, this is the key to your defensive set. You need to gang tackle him forcing him on his back.

From there you've dominated defensively early , the Panthers backs will lack penetration from dummyhalf and you force the Panthers forwards to take the hitups, extra work they haven't had to do all season and the key to winning this game.

we must make the Panthers forward  do as many hitups from the backfield as possible.

Yeo all of sudden doesn't  have  the opportunity to play late at the line and is forced into regulation hitups and Koroisau can't engage the markers .

Cleary all of sudden isn't in recognised parts of the field and Luai isn't in the game.

The defensive starch of Kenny and Fischer-Harris is lessened.

Attack:

Mitch Kenny leads the defensive line often shooting out in front of his teammates.Parra with their one out forwards running off the back fence plays into their hands.

Setup for your hitups from Paulo and RCG but Mahoney needs to take a step out of dummy half , dummy to the props and turn the ball back inside to an attacking play to the other side of the ruck.

Paulo turning his back and offloading will also draw in defenders moving their defensive line and making them work harder and giving them less time to set their defensive line for the next tackle.

Penrith like the old Storm sides put a lot of emphasis on winning the first three tackles defensively of a set and base their entire game around it. If you make them work constantly both sides of the ruck early  they quickly lose their linespeed and the rest of their game falls apart as a result.

Once you get the Panthers caught in behind the play the ball , look to increase your offloads increasing defensive fatigue.

We want to encourage as much wasted energy from their forwards as possible.

Penriths game is based around their backs doing the bullocking work while their forwards save energy for defensive dominance. Our game plan needs to be shut down the backs go forward. Force their forwards into extra work making Clearys game uncomfortable while playing our brand of footy.

We have to do a Penrith to Penrith defensively, with a linespeed faster then we've done all year. Klein will be reluctant to blow penalties and we need to push the boundaries with both our ten metres and our squareness at marker. Absorb early penalties if we have to and back our defence.

let's get it done.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I think you summed up why Parra is one of the few sides that can beat them Bup.

We started to do this in the first Semi, effectively did but lost our way. 

I would like us to hold them rather than trying to blow them of the park, we could get them 16 nil down and they can counter attack and get them back in 10/15 minutes, hence there game against Souths, I want to see both sides working to the point where both packs are tired and even,but we can then unleash our off loads. If we can get momentum in the last 20/25 minutes, I think Penrith will panic!

There expectation is they beat us in the first Semi, so nothing much will change.......in the circumstances of the first semi, we will be the change agent.

• Frustrate Cleary and Yeo and you win.

Thats what we did when we thrashed them at Parra stadium early this year.

As long as things are going Cleary's way he is unstopable but put pressure on him and he will fold quicker than Superman on laundry day.

• What Bup is trying to tell you Bem is how to do that!

• Nice write up but I do think To'o is the man to kick at. If we kick to smash him BT can do a Blake and drop a few plus he can get out jumped

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

SuperEel 22 replied to Hell On Eels's discussion R8 v Manly: The Rise and Fall of the Eels
"I think the number of changes BA has been making recently reflects the pressure he's under. He's often a pick and stick guy but he's been making a decent number of non-injury changes every week."
5 minutes ago
Hell On Eels replied to Blue Eel's discussion The Truth Hurts: Article
"Brilliant post, Bup. Well said, even though I do enjoy listening to players or former players talk every week even if some of it is forced due to their media and fan engagement obligations. A guilty pleasure. 
There seems to be a "calm,…"
24 minutes ago
ByronBae replied to EA's discussion Luca Moretti early footy career
"Will Penisini and Joseph Suaalii did one yesterday too."
48 minutes ago
Michael W. replied to Blue Eel's discussion The Truth Hurts: Article
"Spot on Poppa, he has it on "very good authority" that he jack shit about footy."
1 hour ago
More…