Clint Cutherson on open market after turning down Eels’ contract offer

In what’s developing into a worrying standoff between the parties, The Daily Telegraph understands Gutherson’s agent Sam Ayoub has contacted the club to inform them he could no longer ignore outside interest coming for his client.

Several clubs have already expressed a desire to talk with Gutherson about his future but Ayoub had previously stated that he had given Parramatta an assurance that he would not start negotiating with rivals until after round five.

Now that deadline has passed all bets are off.

Gutherson is chasing a four-year deal believed to be worth around $700,000-a-season.

The first offer Parramatta put to Gutherson was for a two-year deal worth $450,000 for the first year and $500,000 for the second.

That was then upgraded to $500,000 for each year some months back.

Then last week the Eels came back with a three-year offer but believed to be still well short of the $700,000-a-season target.

Gutherson’s worth on the open market has been discussed extensively and most experts believe the speculated figure is more than fair.

Matthew Johns said recently Gutherson was so valuable to his club that Parramatta could not afford to lose him.

“If I’m a Parramatta official, I’m getting Gutho into the office tomorrow morning and I’ not letting him leave the office till he signs an extension, a three or four year deal,” Johns said after round four.

Gutherson has made no secret of the fact his first choice would be to stay at Parramatta and that he wants to continue to be coached by Brad Arthur.

But the longer these negotiations drag on the more concern grows, especially now the door is open to rival clubs.

Parramatta has made it clear that one of their chief concerns relates to the fact Gutherson, 24, has already had two serious knee injuries.

But his form since coming back from his second knee injury last year has been outstanding.

The fact he is the team captain also highlights how highly he is regarded amongst the playing group and also by his coach.

There has been a lot of speculation that Manly is one of the clubs keen to talk with Gutherson.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This kid was picked up when his career was at the cross roads, we have stuck by him, he our captain, an honour in itself. If he was to leave, well it's out of our hands, he wants 4yrs but he should know, this is a new approach from the club, he no exception. 

• Absouloutly spot on. Well said Tin Tin

• Best I'd offer Gutho is a 2 yr deal  on 600k. Guthos a good player, he is certainly no champion. I keep hearing we have quite a few younger brigade with a bit of talent, Parry for one.

No way is Gutho worth 700k and 4yrs. See ya later Gutho.

• This reply was deleted.
    • Imagine how long his knee will last playing on Brooky oval with it's recent history of knee injuries.

• Well spotted hkf. Brookie is an absolutely dog track literally lol. Its an embarrassment of a ground for a professional sports club. It's a dead set disgrace.

Good luck to guth if he wants to play on that shit.

Bankwest is an absolute Paradise in every aspect from the dressing rooms, warm up areas, state of the art drainage and turf heating systems and hot and cold spas.  If guth wants to go back to a shithole good luck with that

If it's true that he is asking for extravagant dollars, we should look elsewhere 

• I can't see him going back to manly, he wants to play fullback, he wont get big money offers to play centre, he has skill but not elite level skill, he is an effort player, effort players don't get the big bickies.

• Yes agreed, No way going to Manly, he'd have to get that stupid fckin haircut again.

• Mack I think your spot on, I think they’re hoping Parra don’t pay 700k because they wanna see what other offers are out there. No one plays cause they love THE club, they love the $$$$$.

• Sure other clubs are interested in him as he is quality however how much are they going offer him to play wing or centre.  Rabbits have young player who went on tour with kangaroos without playing NRL so doubt he going to be their full back.  Manly have turbo Tom as well and there only clubs media have speculated on chasing him.

Maybe our club is finally learning how to manage the roster.  We will get final say to match offer so if we have to match 700 offer fair enough but will set example that Parra are no longer club to be walked over by managers paying overs for speculated figures.  

I want him to stay however we don't really know what figures have been discussed as it is all speculation his manager has spread playing it out in the media.  His form and enthusiasm hasn't really suffered like other players who are unhappy with the club and offers so don't think the situation needs to be worried about yet.

• No club will be looking at him as a winger, i doubt he will ever play wing again.

It will be centre or fullback and maybe 5/8.

The only clubs needing a fullback are Cowboys, Bulldogs and Eels, Gutho and French are the only two notable fullbacks off contract. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Marty replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We'll just been watching Matty John's Late, Hindy n Fletch interviewing Dragons - Lawrie, Lomax n Coach son, gotta say Lawrie n Lomax complete fuckwits. Coach son was pretty cool but other two prime nobs
Dragons can keep Lomax cause we have a No…"
2 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Which is why I asked what you consider expensive? Would you say 500k? 600k?
If these players at up to 600k are classy & not expensive, it's a pretty small window reliant on what's available?
Which brings us back to the development angle, and that…"
9 minutes ago
AlShaw replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Yep winger or fullback"
18 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"For sure, as mentioned, 800k & there's no way the Eels will look at him. 600-650k, is possibly a different story. As you mentioned with salary cap, those centres might've been 600k but that was decent coin also.
100% agree though that it all depends…"
31 minutes ago
More…