CHANGE UP IN ATTACK NEEDED TO IMPROVE

The team needs to change things up in attack in 2022 in order to improve on last season. There's been plenty of talk about our edge defence over the last couple of years, rightly so, it was the most glaringly obvious issue that needed to be addressed. We showed towards the end of the year that we could match it with the best teams. I'm hoping our defence against Melbourne and Penrith were signs that the issue has been rectified for good.

What we really needed against Penrith was something unpredictable in attack. I hear people mentioning our lack of X-factor and it got me thinking (which can be dangerous and obviously not for everyone).

What would an X-factor player bring to the team if we were to aquire one? Class is the first thing that came to mind. It doesn't look like we're getting any more class for 2022 with the squad now settled for the most part. Whatever class we have is already here and at our disposal.

Unpredictability is the other attribute that comes to mind for a player with X-factor. This is an area we can easily improve on with the set-up we've got right now.

I think changing Gutho's role in attack is the smallest change we can make for the biggest reward. Guth's go-to play is to slip into the backline and create an overlap, suck in a defender and throw a cut-out ball to a winger. He's been successful with this in the past, and to some extent, we needed him to be in order to take some responsibility off Dylan Brown. Now is the time to let DB off the chain. He should be playing both sides of the field in attack much like Cody Walker. This not only makes us less predictable but it frees Gutho up to play a floating support player, much like Pap or Turbo.

We have a forward pack full of players that can offload the ball (Paulo, Brown, Matto, Cartwright). Gutho needs to be following them and popping up for an offload rather than always inserting himself into the backline and being the playmaker. This makes both Gutho and Dylan more dangerous, creating more space and options for Moses (who we are actually paying to be the playmaker).

Unpredictability is not BA's strong suit, however I think it's his best option if we are to really threaten for the premiership next year.

I'd be interested to hear what others think and what else we can do for next year to improve our attack

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Spot on worthy post :)

• Mutt, do you think that he has been shielded from responsbility in attack and that now is the time to give him that responsibilty? 

• Mutt's post is spot on and yes, I think he's under instruction in attack. Time to cut him loose and get N. Brown and Gutherson out of his way in attack.

• I definitely think that. Look what happened when Moses was injured. You'd think that DB would have naturally taken over as the main playmaker but instead Jake Arthur ran the show. That's crazy. It's time for DB to step up and take charge. He's definitely got it in him to do it. 

• And who was in charge of deciding player roles?

Could it be Jake's father?

Why yes, yes it was!

• I also believed he was playing under strict instruction and was overcoached.

May have been a consequence of having Joey coach the halves.

Very keen to see how DB goes this year.

• He did look over coached.

It looked like Dylan wasn't throwing any big plays because he wasn't allowed to by Daddy.

• Or maybe BA realised DB has not got the ability or leadership skills. I have heard some wild excuses why DB struggles in Attack, but blaming the coach from holding him back is out there.

The kid lacks Vision, ability and confidence in himself. I just don't think he is a attacking 6.

2022 he has speed outside him let's see what he offers them.

I do think Mary will improve the Eels in attack, but if a player hasn't got the goods or a natural 6, not much Mary can do.

But as Poppa has told me on numerous occasions, give the kid time, right now he is no better in attack then he was 12mths ago.

• I'm not disagreeing with you Graham, you have proved your  understanding of the game but like a lot of old coaches you have not adjusted for the times. They are a changin! (for those not knowing Graham coached a number of country teams at a good level).

The 5/8 role that DB is playing is a link and not a playmaker, in saying that he has evolved that way and your observations are possibly right about confidence and vision. In saying that his vision in getting back to clean up defies that somewhat. Also he is always in the first two chasers when following a kick. As Muttman says, he does a lot of work off the ball.

I think his playmaking will happen but in a more passive way than we probably expect, the main concern I have with his attack is his kicking game....I notice Johns has got him kicking longer but his short kicks are one dimensional and in that sense the vision is still a shortcoming (confidence maybe). I hope the new coaches put some polish on these little things.

Finally you and me argued for a long time over his value, we should agree now that 750 will be the type of numbers being talked next year when his option comes around. If he plays brillianty (breakout season) we will probably lose him, Bennett hasn't spent much yet and if history shows anything it is clubs will pay a million with the hope of him becoming another level player, we saw the Titans half and Ben Hunt being paid those dollars and failing to fullfill such a price......DB is a better player than them both already and still has 40% improvement in him IMO>

PS Parra should try and resign him (4/5 years) now and offer that money. When inflation hits the NRL much quicker than some understand, these prices are going to be chicken shit! Its like going out and buying a house at 1 year ago prices. 

• Mutt stop using your brain. During the off season we have to go around blaming players from the squad. It's our culture. Our tradition. Our holy ritual.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Parra_Greg's discussion Our New Middle Forwards ?
"This is one of my biggest concerns going forward. We don't seem to have anyone really coming through. Greig is a back end of season player, hits his form and fitness late in the season. 
This would be either Paulo's last or second last big minute…"
2 hours ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"6. Hopegood, going to be a great long term player if we keep him."
2 hours ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Bushie's [BA] to 5 signings?
"1. Moses 
2. Gutho 
3. Lomax
4. Jennings 
5. Beau Scott, at the time he brought a lot to the team. What was a inexperienced side and forward pack. He helped build the foundations a lot. "
2 hours ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Sneaky Pete's discussion Tex Hoy
"Tex Hot will get more money in the UK. Over here he is a winger or back up fullback. Over there he will get another gig at fullback. Not a bad player but journeyman. "
2 hours ago
More…