Champions war cry: Failure is absolutely necessary

Must watch

Our beloved Eels hit rock bottom last season. Flopped again. Long suffering fans appear to have a right to lament our seemingly cursed club.

NRL fans rate us favourites to win the prized wooden spoon. Again. Many Eels agree, rating us bottom four specials. The majority of Eels fans aren't hugely optimistic. Good.

Sack the "bush coach" Arthur, Bernie, the whole lot of "clueless dopes" at the top. Keep a few of the promising juniors and a couple of players maybe Alvaro, Nathan Brown and Gutho. But sack the rest. Good.

Now I understand the necessity of the doomsday cries. Continue please. Sprays harder. Good.

There's no doubt we have quite a few aging elderly statesmen on our roster, that are at the closing chapters of their careers and many young inexperienced junior talents coming through. An unsettled spine. The lowest TPA's. And we're paying almost a million dollars on an aging Michael Jennings possibly set for an extended stint in ISP seconds. We're literally on the canvas now. We have lost. We have failed. Good.

All the odds are heavily stacked against you and the team. Reigning spoon champions. Good.

But please Arthur, do three things: watch Schwarzenegger's war-cry video; pin up comments and surveys from fans that you, the players, Bernie and club management are utter crap, doomed to fail again, over every inch of wall-space; and lastly, do whatever it takes to get up from the canvas. 

No matter how hard or low we fall, even during this season. Never surrender. Get some mongrel and toughness in our team. Find a way to win. Innovate. Do things no-one else has done. During training, pre-game, in your game plan, during the game. Live outside the box. Find a way to win. Whatever it takes. Period.

Failure is necessary. No champion or team of champions has ever succeeded without failure. And a lot of failure. They just get up when they fall. And keep getting up.

Remember anything impossible: Is impossible. Until it's done.

PS: Special mention to TAD for first sharing the youtube link. Almost 100 million viewers have tuned into one of the most viral videos to ever happen.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• This reply was deleted.
    • Yeah TAD - It's the first time Arnie has given me goosebumps and I've always been a fan of his for decades. Ever since the Predator and Terminator series came out.

It's such a simple, yet powerful message for anyone who's really interested in their life, where they're really going; and not just drifting unconsciously which is commonplace. Many people, who are as busy as ants, don't even know that they don't know. And that's okay. You can lead a horse to water. That's it.

• LOL Popps. Noticed he's going blind in his left eye and his left ear looks like it's sunk a few cm carrying his sideburns with it. It could affect his balance. It would be painful to watch this guy walk, talk and think.

And as Eels supporters we've been going hungry for over 30 years.

Humour aside Popps. Thanks for the reply and words of wisdom. 

• TAD - a good idea. Would love to see someone like an Arnold, Sterlo, Price, Kenny, Edge, Cronin, Grothe or Beau Scott, Fittler, even a Ricky Ponting, Waugh, or an Anthony Robbins, mentor or have some input into the club. The players' mind and body need to be one. Crazy as all that sounds.

• Elbow  grease is one thing, utter lack of talent/ lack of leadership is another. We are behind the eight ball and have been for a long time. Feel good blog, but wasted on this motley crew of a club. 

• Thanks for the kind words BaliBenny and a big hello. I'm still a big kid at heart and hopeful with some of the young kids coming through that we still might make something out of this year and culturally evolve. We have to. Let's just hope this year we show more spirit, resiliance and hunger. Take care buddy.

• Ahhhhh, TAD now I can see why there's a natural synchronicity between us. You're a teacher and artist. You see the space between the raindrops. Where most really focus and draw the objects in space. Even despite the irony  objects being 99% space. There's a mysterious, deeply curious beauty underlying the reality and truth of appearances.

TAD, Like you, I too have always loved art and drew from a very young age, before becoming an Architect for 18 years and now teach on the side whilst running various businesses with my wife. I wholly concur with you - only a minority people actually really want to learn. At least not badly enough to really want to learn, even though really they need to. We all need to. 

There's also an artistry to teaching, as very few people like being told what to do - including teachers. You can only lead the horse to water and often even that is challenging and not possible. Within about 10 minutes of meeting new clients I know whether they really want to learn or not. If students or client likes you, you're in with a minor chance of actual learning happening - both for student and teacher.

Not always but too often, these days, teaching is purely a source of entertainment, a business, and source of unrealistic expectations, and fanciful dreams within a quagmire of messy politics. And teachers are the patty in the hamburger.

• Nice one Hell on Eels.

I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed.

Michael Jordan

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Yeah Man's discussion What Preist stabbed in Sydney
"I honestly don't get how you can riot, assault police and destroy police cars and the crowd is not subject to a police investigation an ensuing charges ro be laid in fact they got sympathy from the head copper. They're no different to the morons at…"
50 minutes ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 7 Team List v Dolphins
"Oh jeeezus , another 10 year contract coming up for a guy based on potential. "
1 hour ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to Axel's discussion Sivo impressing Arthur but Eels recall still on hold
"He seem to me like a mixture of laziness and age catching up with a guy who doesn't seem to age well. He's like the reverse Benjamin Button. He ages in dog years. He looks older than me . "
1 hour ago
Gaz Nelson replied to Parra_Greg's discussion Our New Middle Forwards ?
"The one up plodder Aidan Tolman had a day? "
1 hour ago
More…