Cartwright the ace in the deck?

Bryce Cartwright may not officially be an Eel yet, but the Sydney Morning Herald is convinced he's signed on the dotted line. 

So let's look at what Cartwright can offer the 2021 squad.

With the release of veteran utility Brad Takairangi, the Eels lack any form of spark from the bench. It was a major criticism of Brad Arthur's squad selection this season that the Eels lacked a real point of difference in the 17 who could come on and change the game. In some matches, he went with four middle forwards, which is great if you have the ball and are controlling field position. Not so great if all those four do is offer decent tackling and hard running with little else to threaten the opposition.

The six again rule had a major impact on the way the game was played in 2020. While the Eels finished top four they could have and should have gone further than the second week of the finals.

Teams like Melbourne and Penrith always packed someone in the side who could change the momentum of the match.

Bryce Cartwright is a damaging ball runner and possesses some of the silkiest skills ever seen in a backrower. At his best he causes havoc on the edges and opens space for his halves and outside backs with good footwork and a miracle-like offload.

However Cartwright's greatest problem since moving to the Gold Coast Titans has seemingly been his effort or lack of it. He has, at times, looked completely disinterested and his defensive efforts were downright disgraceful for an NRL player.

To fit into Parramatta, his defence will need to improve out of sight. Brad Arthur has put a premium on defence and if Cartwright doesn't step up, he won't see first grade. Especially with the recruitment of another edge forward in Isaiah Papli'i who willl also push for a top 17 position.

The other problem is a seeming attitude problem which probably links to his defence. It's not clear what caused this, although the Eels squad is a fair bit different to the Titans. The Titans team Cartwright went to was bottom of the table, it lacked leadership, direction and experience.

The Eels are a top four side, they possess Origin players and there is a lot more experience in the forward pack with the likes of Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Junior Paulo and Ryan Matterson. It's unlikely those players would let Cartwright slacken off and cruise through.

To add to this, it is important to point out that if there any issues off the field, the issues need to be dealt with and if that means Cartwright spends time exclusively in reserve grade, away from first grade then so be it.

He's on a nearly bottom tier contract for one season.

This brings me to my final point. This is likely his last crack at an NRL career. If he doesn't manage it at Parramatta then it's unlikely any other club is going to buy a player going on 28 unless it's in that basket case of a competition called Super League.

There is a chance here for him to resurrect his career and he will be much closer to home in Parramatta so we could see his attitude shift in that case. 

As much as Parramatta's recruitment has been questioned at times, they have picked up some diamonds in the rough. Manu Ma'u, Danny Wicks and Nathan Brown were all punts the club took. They all paid off. Reagan Campbell-Gillard was more of a known quantity but Brad Arthur re-energised him and he was back in NSW camp this season. Clint Gutherson was unwanted at Manly, hampered by an ACL tear and he's now a Dally M Fullback of the Year winner and an Origin representative.

The Eels, you can say, do have a record of resurrecting careers.

Ultimately this is up to Cartwright. If he wants it, he can be Parramatta's ace off the bench, sent on to cause havoc to opposing sides and provide a spark that has really been missing since Feleti Mateo donned the blue and gold and was the offload king. 

Or he can continue down the path he set himself on at the Titans, play the season in reserve grade and be cast off at the end of the year.

At $130,000 he's a low risk purchase. We just hope if he does cause any issues in the playing group he is quickly shuffled off, never to be seen in blue and gold again.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Players can turn it around, especially those with undoubted talent 

• Cap management requires us to look for players who can play well above their pay packet. This is where Melbourne have done so well, finding maligned players and getting the best out of them.

Cartwright is obviously a risk, but at $130k you'd have to say he definitely has a talent ceiling well above his pay packet. All will depend on whether he has the intestinal fortitude to put in the hard yards and play to his ability. If not, we've wasted $130k from the cap, but if he does play well, we've probably got $300k value more than we paid.

These are the punts you have to take (unless you're the Roosters with a salary sombrero).

Here's hoping he comes good and someone deletes his wife's social media accounts.

• Takkas is old but I would trust him in defence way more than carty, I'm not sure he knows what position he is to be honest but BA will give him a job and if he doesn't do it goodbye career.  
    How about Shaun Lane to Prop for 2021??

• Super, Very well written. As usual. Yes, he's low risk as you outlined.

Cartwright oozes talent and possibility, but has lacked will-power and discipline imo. Will this seemingly last chance in the NRL change that?

Rather than any resurrections, I'm expecting him to be another target, weak link, in our defensive line if he plays. But, I'm hoping against all odds something wakes up the tiger.

• If BA can get Cartwright playing to his potential he's the greatest Coach that's ever coached a team ever. Cartwright has been so terrible for so long. I have very low expectations of this but hey, if it works fantastic. But I'm very, very doubtful. 

• Thing is, he doesn't have to be great to be a success, he only needs to be good

• I am more than prepared to sit back and see how this one all unfolds.

Like you Super I think he could be the Ace up our sleeve - OR - the sleeve might have a big hole in it and the Ace could fall into the garbage bin.

• Op's on the money here the ball is in Cartwright's court if he wants to be a clown and continue he's on a low risk see ya later contract.

If he wants to put his head down work his ring off and resurrect his career I think it's a BOOM scenario for Parra.

The off the bench role come in and change the game when it loosens up could be game changing.

Balls in Cartwrights court.Thee only question is the WANT still there.

• All I will say in this matter is that, a leopard never changes its spots....sooner or later he will fcuk up.

• Will that be the same way Manu M'au, Danny Wicks and Blake Ferguson have stuffed up Mr A?

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Speech replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"Before you bag out Brian Smith go back and have a look at the Grand Finals that he lost. Have a look at the opposing teams and you will see how much better the cattle of the opposition was. It was actually remarkable that he got these teams to the…"
2 minutes ago
CP replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"The Canberra and Dolphins game is probably the two worst games I've seen Parra play under BA. He's either lost the locker room or needs to fire a rocket up their ass' to get a response from them. 
They obviously have the ability to play good…"
9 minutes ago
Speech replied to BEM's discussion Next Week's Team
"I have been impressed with Tualagi and surprised he was the one dropped. Seems also Cartwright is playing injured so may be best to rest him."
9 minutes ago
Cranky Brad is here!!! replied to Adrian Bowles's discussion Brad Arthur press conference
"Both shit but, can we agree on that LB"
10 minutes ago
More…