Carty Party 2021

Parramatta sign enigmatic playmaker Cartwright on one-year deal

By Adrian Proszenko

Parramatta have thrown Bryce Cartwright a lifeline that gives the enigmatic forward one final chance to fulfil his potential.

The Eels are set to sign Cartwright on a one-year deal with the guarantee of a top-30 spot for 2021. However, the former Panthers and Titans utility has taken a drastic pay cut in order to get another opportunity in the NRL, agreeing to a minimum-wage contract. It is a far cry from the marquee money he was receiving on the Gold Coast after bursting onto the scene as a rookie with Penrith.

"If I was a club, I'd be very wary," Johns said at the time.

"It's up to Bryce. The problem with Bryce is he's had so much talent.

"Everyone can see how much talent he has. You look at rugby league history in the professional era in the last 20 years, some players who have so much talent, it just doesn't do them service because they don't have to work that hard.

"They get on the field and they can do things which take your breath away, but they haven't got that hard edge about working tough and working hard."

The Eels are in the process of filling out the finals spots of their roster for next year. They have signed Cowboys centre Tom Opacic, Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i and utility Joey Lussick from the Super League.

The club is also privately bracing for the prospect of having to replace veteran centre Michael Jennings, who returned a positive A-sample to performance-enhancing substances earlier this month. Centre is one of the positions Cartwright is capable of filling

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I just hope he's had his shots....

• I hope he puts on shots

• Of the two, I think mine's more likely....

• Potato  shots maybe

• Why would they be weary? He's coming on minimum wage & if he does anything wrong he won't be anywhere near first grade: it's a very low risk signing & only Bryce can prove the doubters wrong.. 

• Jayne without the price tag, disappointed .... would have thought we’d learn from recruiting Hayne how important attitude is and how contagious it is. You can see the difference it made at the Titans when they stopped rewarding guys with big names and potential and started rewarding effort and attitude

• I think with a new club and a new coach and hopefully a new attitude this might turn out to be a great cheap buy. 
    We have nothing to lose he has everything, his last chance. 
    I think he might rip in and push Lane to the bench. 
    To be honest his defence would probably be better than Evans and Lanes continues lazy efforts in the finals. 

• Would rather a Stagg party.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
"So that says we have a coach that can beat Penrith . The fact we lost to the tigers says we have a poor attitude . And we have for decades. On and off feild leadership is as big a problem as coaching. And that may not necessarily only apply to the…"
1 hour ago
Poupou Escobar replied to LB's discussion Will Manly be smarting next week?
""Friday nights game should have been nearly closed out in the first 25 minutes. We had enough ball and field position to take the wind out of the Phins."
You really think so? At halftime we had 50% possession: iStats/NRL (championdata.com)
If we had…"
1 hour ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to ParramattaLurker's discussion Round 8 Team List v Manly Warringah Sea Eagles (ANZAC Round)
"You know that 40/20 is not a persons real name , nor does it divulge who said person is off screen , ya Wally. Could you try any harder to find an excuse to be outraged ?   What the difference between mentioning a podcasters alias and talking about…"
2 hours ago
Uncle Wizards Sleeve indigenous elder He/Him replied to LB's discussion BA's Round 8 presser
"Mattersons a Christian sect member, pretty sure he's a convert from Catholic. Confusing I know , considering he acts Jewish. "
3 hours ago
More…