Brown and Brown

Long time reader, first time poster. Eels tragic since watching my first footy game with Dad back in the 70's and deciding to support the other team to Dad's dogs. Thank god it was the Eels and I havent looked back since.

I've been thinking about the 2 Browns and what we need from them in 2022.

1. Dylan Brown - I feel he doesnt run the ball enough. That can also be said for Mitchell, but a good 5/8 looks to run the ball into the line, like Cody Walker, Jerome Laui and Cameron Munster. He's got speed but he doesnt run into the line enough and the opposition knows it will just be passed out the back line and can easily cover. There were glimpses of both halves running more in the finals which was great, but we really need Dylan to attack the line early in games and put the defence in 2 minds as to whether he will run or pass.

2. Nathan Brown - Is he the best option for lock? I like him but ihe seems more of a front rower now, and yes I know we talk about middles and lock falls into that, but really we need a better organising and ball playing lock. Could Matterson be that - he grew up as a half so should have the play making skills and kicking ability and is a big body and he seems to be wasted on the edge at the moment.. Or do we look for a lock from outside the club, but who? 

And as a bonus, we could do with a fast winger. Haze seems to be improving but I can say I've seen that he has speed to get past his man, but either does Sivo. 

Anyway, just my thoughts, love to hear yours.

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Good thoughts Mark, shame your a Smith, they are even more common than Brown's.

Good luck with your first blogg......although it has been done before!

• Great first up blog Mark.  Agree with everything you wrote.  I think Nathan Brown is more value as a middle forward becuase he continually runs the ball back into the middle and has a terrible slow play the ball.  He comes off the back fence but doesnt have huge post contact metres which in fact creates a negative most of the time. Dylan is technically one of the best defendesr in the NRL.  Love his defence and he must be high 90's in effectiness in the tackles.  His running game is non existant and that is his big flaw.  He has good speed, nice feet just needs to dig into the line more.   

The back 3 of any team is becoming almost the main wheel.  If you dont get your sets started well, you lose field position and ultimately the battle.   Get me aq winger with speed and size.  That needs to be done ASAP.

• Your first comment on Dylan Brown needs some context - you say he doesn't run enough? Running is one of the things Brown DOES do quite often. He needs to develop his kicking game and passing game moreso than running. His running he just needs to pick his moments better because he already runs plenty.

Dylan Brown - 98 running metres per game

Cody Walker - 91 running metres per game (so the guy you want him to copy actually makes less metres? weird)

Munster - 113 metres per game

Luai - 61 metres per game

So Brown is actually second out of the 4 guys you mentioned. I didn't bother to look up metres per carry which would be the better measure, but anyway.

As for Nathan Brown - I would make him a bench middle. He provides leg speed, ball playing and a higher tempo which are all good qualities for a bench forward. I would try either Papalii at 13 or Matterson.

Good first blog :)

• He needs to develop his kicking game and passing game moreso than running. His running he just needs to pick his moments better because he already runs plenty.

Exactly this it's all about growth for DB.What fans don't remember DB is still learning his trade what is 30-40 games in.Like the final part of the quote says picking his moments the more he plays with MM and the experience he gains the more the game slows down for him.The last but is key is playing with tempo not at one speed all the time.Nathan Cleary is a genius with this if the mentioned had DBs speed he'd be even more deadly.

• Yes Matterson would make the perfect lock and can play 80 minutes 

• I really think a lot of eels fans underestimate the contributions of Nathan Brown. He is tough, mean gets into the oppositions faces fast and has one us games off his defence. Plus he seems to have a decent pass. He is our best choice lock for sure. Great first blog mate, it's awesome to see more people giving their opinions. 

• 11.Papali'i 12. Niukore 13. Matterson

Brown Kaufusi  Lane/Stone  Cartwright 

Makatoa Wirremu Hollis Rodwell

was hoping today that there'd be a post where you could add players to positions for '22. Dunno about you but now the season is over, I find myself making the eels team up...over and  over!  Checking my nrl app daily for Parra signings coming / going / staying. All the while hoping for that elusive signing, the messiah as will be called, I'd really like it to be Dylbags with Moses playing a magical domestique. 

Noice post Mark

• Nathan Brown just needs to continue being who he is and energiser who brings it in attack and defense.Don't change a thing.Matterson for me hasn't got that mongrel that Brown has hence why I say don't change a thing.

Ive been spit balling this for awhile I'd be trading both Brown and Matterson for Jason Taumololo the salaries match and then we have a starting back row of Nuikore Papali'i and Taumololo and secure our edges at the same time.

• For us to progress to the next level I think it's largely up to Dylan Brown. We didn't get enough out of him this year in attack that's undeniable. He needs to continue to develop his passing game. He's too one dimensional, he either shovels it on or dummies and runs. He would be way more effective with a late pass at the line. He also needs to play a bit more eyes up and see what's unfolding before making a play. Hope he has a big season. 

• I agree, he is the spine player with the most room for improvement.  Moses needs to be more consistent and he is heading that way, mahoney needs to backup what he did this season and gutho needs to cut out those costly errors at crucial times. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Frank The Tank replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"And part ownership in Metro Petroleum."
10 minutes ago
Eelton John replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Sunia Turuva......fox sports indicating he's going to market
This is who we should target"
10 minutes ago
Parrapowa replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Solid & safe doesn't win you a comp "
24 minutes ago
Nightmare Off-Season replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Depends how expensive you mean, Al?
Lomax isn't worth 800k & the Eels won't pay that, he knows it's a pay cut to play elsewhere at centre.
All of the past 10 premiership teams had more $ in invested in their centres than the Eels, and some do have…"
31 minutes ago
More…