Brad Arthur confirms star forward’s 2023 plans

Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur has confirmed Isaiah Papali'i will front up for his Tigers contract in 2023.

Papali'i has signed a mega deal to make the switch to Concord from the start of next year following his stint with the Eels, but has spoken openly about being unsure if he will be willing to honour the deal moving forward.

The second rower, rated as one of the best in the competition and set to play his first grand final with the blue and gold on Sunday, was speculating about his future as recently as this week, suggesting he would confirm his decision for next year following the decider against Penrith.

But Arthur's comments will allow Tigers fans to breathe easy, suggesting the forward will make the move to the joint venture, where he will be coached under Tim Sheens.

“Isaiah will be going to the Tigers,” Arthur said.

“He would have liked to have stayed but he has made his decision and he has too much integrity as a person to renege on his Tigers deal.

“He has made his commitment to them so that boat (Papali'i staying at Parramatta) has sailed.

“He is going and I wish him well.”

The Tigers have all but confirmed they will be unwilling to give Papali'i a release from his deal should he request one, with the gun forward effectively set to replace Luciano Leilua at the club next year after his move to the North Queensland Cowboys.

It's understood the Eels would have the cap space to keep Papali'i should he want to make the switch, although that would still need the blessing of the Tigers.

Zerotackle 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• God Bateman would be good. Will murchie take ice spot? I wonder where we will spend the money on now 

• Have we confirmed Murchie or just a rumour?

• We are not going to sign Liam Martin. We have 2 halves that need to be locked up on near 1million a piece and then you start looking for a second rower.

For all I care it can be Kenny Edwards on $120k and he would still offer more in attack then Liam Martin, Liam is Kevin Proctor 2.0

• He still doesn't want to leave. 

• I will say Mutts he is going against his will at this point but he did sign, but since BA said it's done and dusted Papa cannot do anything unless he goes to the warriors claims he wants to go home.

Could Ice line up in blue & gold next year? More unlikely now BA has said it but anything is possible. It seems BA wants the cash for Brown and Moses and develop Murchie, Hopgood or El-Zakham even.

• So he shoud go. Be a man and honour your deal that you made. To be honest , all the bullshit he's gone on with has made him look like a real dick. This time next year we will be scoffing at the thought of us worrying over his exit .

• Agree, he and his manager tried to play the eels and in the end decided to take a few $$$ more rather than staying with the club that gave him an nrl lifeline and a coach that has got the best out of him.  He can sleep in the bed he's made, the flip/flop crap after he signed his deal doesn't reflect well on his character, but is probably more damning for his manager.  Who would want to be represented by a flog that looks to have prioritsed their 6-7% over the best interests of the client?  Not a great advertisement for the 2nd largest sports management company in the world.

• His manager doesn't care , he's history is chequered and that's putting politely for the sake of the site. Let's just say D O'L , has been in some of our lesser quality state owned hotels prior to his current high life in 5 star ones.  He has next to no other NRL players so damaging any reputation he has amongst NRL clubs isn't really on his radar. 
        In saying that , ICE is a man , his managers not some gangster standover man that would've forced him to do anything , Daniels a silver tounge , but he ain't overly intimidating , he'd have simply put the offers on the table , talked up the money offer , however after that it's on ICE .  80% of the time these islanders will take the coin.  I'd say going by this after all the back and fourth shit that's been going on BA has told the club his option to stay has been pulled .  BA has obviously found a better and less hassle option for 2023. 

It's quite odd he's jumped on the front foot and made this announcement on Papallis behalf when ICE has refused to do it for months. I still reckon ICE will end up at a totally different club . 

• That's right, the buck stops with Papalii it's his decision and he should own it.  

To me something stinks about the contract Papalii signed, I'm surprised that in all the reporting and media around this deal, D O'L's role hasn't been scrutinised. 

If there was an offer on the table from the club, I hope the club showed some balls and didn't budge from their final offer in the original negotiation. 

• He's a big loss let's not sugar coat this but I wish him well.He's been playing for unders since he's been here and Parra have developed and maximised his value.

I got a sneaking suspicion they've known he's gone for ages and I think the coach is quietly confident he'll do what he always does find and develop and legit replacement.

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

RustyNuts replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"Personally I don't think gaining Lomax would cost us Talagi. He had a great 1st game and could possibly be better than Lomax when he gets going. He could move to the wing for some time to develop then move to the centres later. If he becomes better…"
42 minutes ago
Slippery. replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make

I totally agree with your comments regarding the importance and benefits regarding local juniors at discounted rates, however,  this is only a factor with their 1st contract if they show promise.  Once a player starts showing they have regular…"
51 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Nah Tago is a centre who may later transition into the backrow. I believe Turuva will leave the club which is fair enough. I think May will move back to the wing and the Mclean brothers will start making their way into FG. Panthers have Laurie and…"
52 minutes ago
EA replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"We definitely need Lomax more than we need Grieg. Plus I back BA to develop gun forwards if we need to. We already have amazing forwards coming through our Matt, SG and Flegg team."
58 minutes ago
More…