Brad Arthur confirms star forward’s 2023 plans

Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur has confirmed Isaiah Papali'i will front up for his Tigers contract in 2023.

Papali'i has signed a mega deal to make the switch to Concord from the start of next year following his stint with the Eels, but has spoken openly about being unsure if he will be willing to honour the deal moving forward.

The second rower, rated as one of the best in the competition and set to play his first grand final with the blue and gold on Sunday, was speculating about his future as recently as this week, suggesting he would confirm his decision for next year following the decider against Penrith.

But Arthur's comments will allow Tigers fans to breathe easy, suggesting the forward will make the move to the joint venture, where he will be coached under Tim Sheens.

“Isaiah will be going to the Tigers,” Arthur said.

“He would have liked to have stayed but he has made his decision and he has too much integrity as a person to renege on his Tigers deal.

“He has made his commitment to them so that boat (Papali'i staying at Parramatta) has sailed.

“He is going and I wish him well.”

The Tigers have all but confirmed they will be unwilling to give Papali'i a release from his deal should he request one, with the gun forward effectively set to replace Luciano Leilua at the club next year after his move to the North Queensland Cowboys.

It's understood the Eels would have the cap space to keep Papali'i should he want to make the switch, although that would still need the blessing of the Tigers.

Zerotackle 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• He's only a big loss if you don't have another one to take his spot. I guess it all comes down to the individuals definition of big. Big loss ?  , yeah....  huge loss ?  Probably not considering our success in developing guys like him and Lane .  Next ....  

I reckon Cartys on a promise from BA for 2023. 

• I'm still not sold on Cartwright and with what seems our edges play 80 yeah I just don't no.

I don't like him defensively and I'm not sure he has the workrate we are looking for at that spot.

If Cartwright wants to push for a spot in the 17 it's that utility 14 role is his go.He has the skill set  to be that.

• Man Papali'i is really digging himself a hole by acting the way he is not coming out saying it, it seems the club has accepted Wests aren't budging so they are just leaving it, but Papali'i ain't doing anything to convince people he wants to go.

For us, we can sign Murchie and possibly develop him further, or use Brown in a swap deal for another young back-rower we would like to develop. Papali'i is a loss but ask most here who would we rather lose, Lane or Papa I think the majority would say Papa.

Papa though is doing no favours he's gonna walk into Wests hated and kicking rocks, Parramatta are showing arrogance and I like it that well he's leaving we will find someone else.

If something happens along the way where he does get out of the deal then we will look at it but for now we will sign someone like Murchie and move on with our day. 
    losing 2 of our starting 13 is a bit rough but Hodgson is a nice replacement to Mahoney and anyone but Papali'i is a downgrade but Murchie or any young back -rower could work.

• Nuikore for me is the bigger loss, the versatility he offers is hard to come by 

• Good point AlShawNoTeam23

Both are a big loss, but one could easily make the case that Nuikore is the greater loss as you say, he can play middle, wide, centre, bench impact. 

• Yes love Niukore 

• In terms of Liam Martin, it was not once mentioned we wanted him, it just said he had relations to Barrett and Baz is coming here that could lead to us getting him?

It's like we sign Ryan Matterson and they say his the nephew of coach Terry Matterson, could bring Terry to club as an assistant.

Martin is not the type we go for, he fits us in how we play and how BA plays his back rowers but we don't buy expensive forwards, we go for young under developed players or ageing players looking at two or three good year left.

• how much is considered expensive.  You do realise that Liam Martin is on $400K this year and $400K for 2023 with Penrith. I wouldnt consider that expensive under the Salary Cap and NRL salarys, and surely a figure in this realm is something we could absorb.

Penrith will have to do something to keep paying Cleary his $1.3m a year plus bonuses.

• A few nihts ago, Someone from NRL 360, I think Brent Read, mentioned that we are going hard for Martin. Just don't know how accurate it is.

• Papali'i Is a grown ass man, when you make a commitment you stick to it. You do not flip and flop and backtrack. He signed with WT, he goes, done , easy. 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

adnan replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Was blaze that good? I think he is very raw and maybe needs another yr "
2 minutes ago
LB replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"I wonder if the have Lomax on Right and move Penisini to left. Penisini is a Centre that can adapt, where Lomax has the pass that has him needed on the right.
But I think Lomax would be happy as long as it is Centre in a good team."
19 minutes ago
Slugg replied to Poppa's discussion Players and Values and Judgements to make
"I think the club  is doing the right thing not paying 600 k to  800k for a good first grade player that can boost our chances of winning comp when they can sign 3 or 4 players for the same money that may boost our chances of winning a reserve grade…"
26 minutes ago
Coryn Hughes replied to Cʜɪᴇғ -'s discussion Big News On Lomax
"Parra just need to stick to there process and add when we need to.
Lomax has all the potential which to this time is unrealised and that's before talking about money.
Blaize Sanders Penisini AMS you really want to see if these guys are something and…"
32 minutes ago
More…