Brad Arthur confirms star forward’s 2023 plans

Parramatta Eels coach Brad Arthur has confirmed Isaiah Papali'i will front up for his Tigers contract in 2023.

Papali'i has signed a mega deal to make the switch to Concord from the start of next year following his stint with the Eels, but has spoken openly about being unsure if he will be willing to honour the deal moving forward.

The second rower, rated as one of the best in the competition and set to play his first grand final with the blue and gold on Sunday, was speculating about his future as recently as this week, suggesting he would confirm his decision for next year following the decider against Penrith.

But Arthur's comments will allow Tigers fans to breathe easy, suggesting the forward will make the move to the joint venture, where he will be coached under Tim Sheens.

“Isaiah will be going to the Tigers,” Arthur said.

“He would have liked to have stayed but he has made his decision and he has too much integrity as a person to renege on his Tigers deal.

“He has made his commitment to them so that boat (Papali'i staying at Parramatta) has sailed.

“He is going and I wish him well.”

The Tigers have all but confirmed they will be unwilling to give Papali'i a release from his deal should he request one, with the gun forward effectively set to replace Luciano Leilua at the club next year after his move to the North Queensland Cowboys.

It's understood the Eels would have the cap space to keep Papali'i should he want to make the switch, although that would still need the blessing of the Tigers.

Zerotackle 

You need to be a member of 1Eyed Eel to add comments!

Join 1Eyed Eel

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Maybe the eels have agreed to sign liam martin so they gave up on keeping papalii? Just my thoughts

• It's a shame Parra low balled him. If we had come close to the Tigers offer, I think we would have a world class loyal long term second rower. One of the few players PROUD to be wearing the jersey every week. 

• I think they accepted he was leaving a while ago.

I'd say the Martin rumour might have legs or maybe a play for Bateman might be.

It's a shame I think Ice will regret it long term

• Would take Bateman over Martin every time.

Apparently his English club wants a $350k transfer fee.

Tigers were keen to sign him but can't afford the transfer fee.

Parra can afford the transfer fee but not sure they would do it.

I would prefer we don't sign Martin as he is very overrated. 

• I think but not sure that 350k goes to the club as a transfer, if we paid it, would it be part of the salary cap? as I assume what we pay Bateman in turn would obviously be part.

• Yes Poppa that 350k would go to his English club for the transfer and that would come out of our salary cap.

It would all depend on how much Bateman is willing to take.

Realistically I think Bateman would be chasing at minimum 600k so the total would be 950k.
          As much as I rate him there is no way I would part with that kind of coin for him.

• Agree BEM.

Bateman you'd get slightly under priced and he's a weapon. As soon as I heard he wanted to come back, I immediately hoped Parra were going there.

• From what I have seen the Tigers were the only ones after him but have now pulled out due to the massive transfer fee.

He certainly is a weapon.

Bateman on one edge and Lane on the other is very tantalising.

• Hoping for a player(s) swap. Just give Tigers N.Brown, Makatoa and Cartwright so Papalii can stay 🙏

• Just another reason to win this Sunday 

This reply was deleted.

More stuff to read

Snottie Pimpin replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion BA please resign
"😂😂😂"
11 minutes ago
Inside Info replied to Snottie Pimpin's discussion BA please resign
"I had to sit in an aussie bar in Phuket today and watch that, had to go plow a lady boy to feel better"
17 minutes ago
"Lets be honest, BA is out of ideas, our season will again soon be gone, too many teams will be above us to climb"
20 minutes ago
"Lets compare 2024 dragons attitude to eels 2024. Dragons belted a good warriors team with effort and a great defensive pattern. Shows Flanagan in a short space can turn a team around. "
23 minutes ago
More…